Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just ordered a DP 867mhz G4!

Just ordered a DP 867mhz G4!
MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2002, 10:44 PM

I just ordeded a dual 867 G4 from the apple store education site.
Here are my specs:
2x 867 G4 cpu
512mb ram
80gb hd
combo drive
Radeon 9000 Pro card (64mb)
plus AppleCare

for about $2186 (tax included)

Do you guys think it's a deal?

Originally I intended on getting a $949 iBook with 640mb ram but my brother talked me into getting a powermac.

By the way does anyone know if macs are installed with OS X 10.2.2 if you buy a mac directly from apple?

And how do you reset the thing since it has no reset button?

Also when you install programs, do you do it as administrator or as regular user?

and could you use norton's disk doctor for both os 9 and os x or will either os's data conflict with each other when i'm running in Os 9 or Os x to fix errors on the hd since both os are on the same hd?(Sorry, but i've never used os x before)

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2002, 12:04 AM

Ok I will answer some of your questions anyway. But, first I have the same machine so I know I can tell you, you will enjoy it. Now it ships with 10.2. You have to use the software update system over the Internet after that to get to present 10.2.2. You can use the power on button in the front of the machine at the top of the mirror doors. Norton is at least for me a no no with OSX 10.2.2. Look at some of the Macfixit articles about using Norton with OSX 10.2.2. I have since removed Norton from my machine.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 22, 2002, 12:10 AM

Whoah, there. You've got a lot of questions. First of all, congrats on the new Mac. Seems like kind of a jump from the cheapest ibook, but what do I know?

Generally Macs bought directly from apple will have the latest OS, but in any case it will be 10.2, so it won't be hard to upgrade it to 10.2.2

Do the new G4s not have reset buttons? In any case you can hold down the power button to turn it off in a hard freeze.

Assuming you are the only one using the computer you will be using an administrator account (not to be confused with "root"). You just type in your password when you install anything.

As for Norton, it depends on the version you have. You should make sure that the version you have is compatible with OS X, since there was one slightly older version that actually screwed up OS X files.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2002, 01:28 AM

Congrats! I have the same machine and I haven't installed Norton yet. I'm not really sure I trust Norton any more. I've just been making regular backups to my secondary hard drive in case anything on my main drive fails (unlikely) and that should do it for me.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2002, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
Here are my specs:
2x 867 G4 cpu
512mb ram
80gb hd
combo drive
plus AppleCare

Originally I intended on getting a $949 iBook with 640mb ram but my brother talked me into getting a powermac.

By the way does anyone know if macs are installed with OS X 10.2.2 if you buy a mac directly from apple?

Also when you install programs, do you do it as administrator or as regular user?

and could you use norton's disk doctor for both os 9 and os x or will either os's data conflict with each other when i'm running in Os 9 or Os x to fix errors on the hd since both os are on the same hd?(Sorry, but i've never used os x before)
I also have one of the new-generation PowerMacs, too. I'll answer your questions.

1) The computer is a deal if it works out okay for you. I thought mine was. (and it was about $9k)

2) They are not installed with 10.2.2, but 10.2.1 instead. Use Software Update.

3) The glowing button on the mirror drive doors (the power button) can also be held for about five sconds to manually reset the machine.

4) You are required a password for many installations, however it depends which name you are logged in on. If you're the admin, type the admin password. If you're a different user, type in THAT password. And so on.

5) Get the newest version of Norton. The new one has removed all the old bugs and yes, it offers compatibility with the OS.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

prussianbill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 12:14 PM

Note sure I would get it through the apple ed store though. . .if purchasing via the apple store they give you adobe indesign, full version for free - $699.00 value. Something to consider.

glo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
Here are my specs:
2x 867 G4 cpu
512mb ram
80gb hd
combo drive
plus AppleCare

Same machine that I have, and it is just wonderful. Congrats.

I have trouble recommending Norton, I find it flaky and have uninstalled it.
I use an external firewire for backups. Just seems easier.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by glo:

Same machine that I have, and it is just wonderful. Congrats.

I have trouble recommending Norton, I find it flaky and have uninstalled it.
I use an external firewire for backups. Just seems easier.
That would be what I'd do, too. I was just stating certain factas about Norton. I tend not to like it.
Go Dogcows!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by prussianbill:
Note sure I would get it through the apple ed store though. . .if purchasing via the apple store they give you adobe indesign, full version for free - $699.00 value. Something to consider.
You can get the pdf file for the free InDesign to fill out no matter where you buy the Mac from. I got my dual867 from MacMall and I love it, very fast, stable and loud. I hate coming to work to use my cube, but it could be worse, I could have been forced to use a Dell with XP.

loh
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2002, 04:19 PM

I got the same system w. 512 ram, but the stock HDD and Video Card. I really like it so far, even more after I changed the power supply fans for some quieter ones. Good luck with your new mac!

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2002, 04:24 PM

Did you get one of those awesome LCD screens from Apple?

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
Did you get one of those awesome LCD screens from Apple?
Make sure it fits, though! I had to cut out part of my desk so I could fit my 23" HD Dsplay.
Go Dogcows!

loh
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2002, 05:12 PM

My next big purchase will be a 17" Studio Display. Damn those things are nice!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by loh:
My next big purchase will be a 17" Studio Display. Damn those things are nice!
Get a 17.4" Formag Gallery display. They're nicer and cheaper and still match!

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 07:28 PM

thats a great system

lucky
Mark Tungston

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2002, 08:58 PM

My powermac is probably going to come on Monday.

And no, I didn't order an apple lcd display. I'm probably going to get a cheap crt from Fry's Electronics.

Thanks to all of you for the mac os x advice. I'm going to watch out for Norton Utilities and probably get Micromat Drive 10.

I gonna get some books on os x and catch up on my reading.

thanks everyone!

rm199
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2002, 11:07 AM

before you get the 17inch see if you can hold on and save for a 20 or 23HD. Its seriously worth it - the screen will outlive the machine...

RM

robguz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2002, 06:00 PM

Don't use Norton. I don't trust it at all and I think it causes more problems than it can fix in X.

I don't think AppleCare is a good deal. Extremely unlikley you'll need it. Most hardware failures will be right away or within a couple months and it will be covered anyway. A year from now, when the warranty is gone, if it needs some pricey repair, it'll only be like a $800 computer so why bother. If that happens, you could still sell it on eBay or part it out on eBay. The RAM, HD, video card will still be good. AppleCare is just a waste of money for probably 90% of people because Apple's machines are pretty reliable.

passmaster16
Senior User
Nov 23, 2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by robguz:
Don't use Norton. I don't trust it at all and I think it causes more problems than it can fix in X.

I don't think AppleCare is a good deal. Extremely unlikley you'll need it. Most hardware failures will be right away or within a couple months and it will be covered anyway. A year from now, when the warranty is gone, if it needs some pricey repair, it'll only be like a $800 computer so why bother. If that happens, you could still sell it on eBay or part it out on eBay. The RAM, HD, video card will still be good. AppleCare is just a waste of money for probably 90% of people because Apple's machines are pretty reliable.
I agree with that on a desktop system although laptops I would consider it. Since if a tft goes bad thats gonna cost you a good 800 dollars to fix. As you said, on a powermac, I would skip it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules