Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Apple Stuff soon to come, inside info

New Apple Stuff soon to come, inside info (Page 2)
Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
what is cheesy about a cellphone watch? I am not saying you speak into the watch...you would have a bluetooth headset...

there are many advantages to having a cellphone watch...

takes up no space in your pocket, when you get a call you can just look at our wrist to find out who is calling you instead of fumbling threw your pockets...dialing would be faster as well since you could either scroll or type in #s without having to find your phone....bluetooth headsets are going to be comon place soon...even at home and work...you will just walk around your house and your watch will phone will automatically connect to you land line or cell signal...

Apple excells at making things smaller than the competion...future watches could add gps, mp3s, camera, cf slot, oled screen...

Someone is going to do it...why not Apple?
I am not going to bother telling you why that is pointless and costly, I know that Apple will never come out with it.

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:

Only one problem with that: Woz hasn't worked for Apple for years.
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/18.wozniak.php

he's a part of macworld w/ a apple panel

who knows
Mark Tungston

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:

I am not going to bother telling you why that is pointless and costly, I know that Apple will never come out with it.
i'll explain it for you brotha...

do you see any watch - combo thing on the market right now that's sucessful?

give me one example and if you cannot...then you have your answer.
Mark Tungston

Moonray
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 04:38 PM

I take the Apple alarm clock and the Apple kitchen radio

-

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 04:50 PM

How could apple come out with a cell phone? Would they link it to one specific company like ATT or sprint, or would it be compatible with multiple companies?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 04:52 PM

But he has a keynote thing at MacWorld SF 2003.

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2002, 04:53 PM

well if I said last year that Apple should build a $500 hard disc based mp3 player I guess i would get the same response....so I don't take it personally...obviously the timing would have to be right for things to get cheap enough to make this happen...that time might already be now i don't know...

Fossil is comming out with a Palm os based watch...but I dont find that one so enticing...also keep in mind that foldable OLED screens are right around the corner as well which will make some new display designs possible...also having an OLED display a kick ass screen saver when not in use might look quite nice...I guess when this happens I will have to bring this thread back up...

chezpaul
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 05:00 PM

What I think is funny is how he easily discribes his friend for Apple to discover who he is. And if it wasn't given out in the first post then it was given out in the fact the he took one week vacation... Unless that was just a lie to scramble all the other info...

That would be cool if Apple branded the hip hop into an apple product. The hip hop is really cool. I have one.. ;-)
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by OpenStep:
Heh that's great!

I have saved that image for future use (which sounds like it might be some more of LX's posts).

wwworry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Snappy:

i'll explain it for you brotha...

do you see any watch - combo thing on the market right now that's sucessful?

give me one example and if you cannot...then you have your answer.
http://www.fossil.com/tech/TechPDAPa...1=Tech&ID=tech

there you go, though it may not be "successful" as it just came out.
( Last edited by wwworry; Nov 24, 2002 at 05:14 PM. )

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by wwworry:

http://www.fossil.com/tech/TechPDAPa...1=Tech&ID=tech

there you go, though it may not be "successful" as it just came out.
Yeah, it just came out at Comdex and was on CNN... so if thats not already successful.

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 05:32 PM

i was expecting you to reply with numerous devices built upon wrist technology

i know there is a pager watch, phone watch (headphones/mic), mp3 watch, fm/am radio watch, and voice-recorder watches

there also some watches that were sucessful in the youth market...i had a contact info/calculator/ watch in 3rd to 5th grade. i know of nobody beyond junior high who would ever want one of those things on their wrist. the palm watch you showed reminds me of that.

if this watch is sucessful (which it will not be, seeing as i hear no buzz about this thing even though it looks cool and it's the holiday season) then you are right. then wrist based devices are the way of the future.
Mark Tungston

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Snappy:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0211/18.wozniak.php

he's a part of macworld w/ a apple panel

who knows
That's true; but I doubt seriously if he's involved in product design. He's made it quite clear in recent interviews that he has very little of a relationship with Apple Computer.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 06:16 PM

To all of you naysayer's out there - Who would 've predicted Apple coming out with a mp3 player a couple of years ago?

Maybe in hindsight the iPod makes sense after the release of iTunes but doesn't the release of iCal and iSync portend something similiar on the horizon?

Calendar and address functions (iCal & iSync) are as much a part of a PDA/phone as an mp3 file is of a music player (iPod).

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 06:17 PM

Fossil is comming out with a Palm os based watch...but I dont find that one so enticing...also keep in mind that foldable OLED screens are right around the corner as well which will make some new display designs possible...also having an OLED display a kick ass screen saver when not in use might look quite nice...I guess when this happens I will have to bring this thread back up...
Shhhh, don't tell anyone I told you....

wwworry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 06:27 PM

though the thing is I can usually tell the time of day within 5 to ten minutes without a watch and if you practice it is pretty easy to remember contact information.

When something awful happens involving a car remember the licence plate. Without a licence plate you have nothing.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 06:43 PM

Shhhh, don't tell anyone I told you....

Don't forget to add Inner Shadow

suhail
Senior User
Nov 24, 2002, 09:50 PM

Actually� My friend also just came for vacation from Apple, and he told me that the latest thing in Apple's labs is a two-buttoned mouse and a one-buttoned keyboard.

Yeh� he never lies

Just kidding

hayesk
Nov 24, 2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
naw he told me this cuaase there are quite a few peopel who know this info, soi couldn;t be linked to him. I knwo some other stuff i can't post cuase it'll link to him.
Unless of course, you still live where your location says. How many apple employees are from there that would know what you claim your friend told you?

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Nov 24, 2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by SteveJobs:
Why should Woz be used to introduce a new device? While he will definitely have some press watch him speaking, the keynote or a press event would be well more likelier occasions.
Well, at least one can read it (if s/he understands German) in the newspaper(s) - like this one.
Forgive me not to translate (it's 3am ;-), it says that what allready has been mentioned in this thread.

Good Night,
:-) Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Nov 24, 2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Don't forget to add Inner Shadow
It needs some rework anyway ... it should have looked like this one ...

Michael.

EDIT: Ok, this was dumb - I just did't recognise the pics above und can't delete the post - sorry.
( Last edited by TonTaub; Nov 24, 2002 at 10:10 PM. )
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

hayesk
Nov 24, 2002, 10:15 PM

what is cheesy about a cellphone watch?
The battery hanging off your wrist, for starters. Unless a 5 minute battery life is ok with you?

gadster
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 11:29 PM

iTunes, iCal, iSynch, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD. Could these be designed to work with an iPod??? Why not call it the iPlayer or the iMP(3), if it is only for music. Oh hang on, it's got the contacts thing now does'nt it? Oh hang on, just add a little mic off the headphones...
e-gads

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 11:52 PM

Sorry but that is the cheesiest thing I have ever heard of. Apple would be laughed off the market with something like that.
History shows that this quote virtually confirms these rumours to be true.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 12:15 AM

Hey Liquidity X,

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but in the future it may be best to keep things like this to yourself. A lot of what you said doesn't have any sort of merit, some of it does. Regardless, whatever you say you are just going to get flamed. And its true, I don't even know everything thats going on at Apple and I'm pretty high in the food chain. I, however, am under NDA, and if your friend is leaking that kind of information to you, he is violating his NDA and has no regret for what he tells you. It could be BS, which is the most likely case if I may say so, but some of it could be dead on.

In short: Don't bother posting any kind of "New Apple Inside Info" I don't want to seem like a snob, but yah I know some stuff that a lot of Mac users would love to hear, but I can't say squat. I really would like to fill ya guys in, but I'm not at liberty to, and there is a reason for that.

<end rant>
Am I still here?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 12:21 AM

Yeah I'm bestest buddies with Steve Jobs and he's always getting excited and trying to show me stuff. "Steve" I say, "you know I can't trust myself with secrets. Stop telling me stuff!" And then he goes "yeah but check out this phone thingy!" and I go "No Steve." And then he goes like "You're just jealous" and...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2002, 12:53 AM

My friend works at Apple's testing center, but he never tells me anything.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2002, 02:02 AM

and your firend could be easily known cause you told us about the powerbook dealy, and i'm sure apple can easily look in the records in recent powerbook repairs...if they didnt know this.. well now they know haha. HI PPL AT APPLE! I KNOW YOU'RE LOOKING
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 03:02 AM

If I worked at apple, I wouldn't go around posting inside info at web sites like this. But I would go around selling inside info to the rumor sites. Hey even with an employee discount those dual 1.25's are pretty expensive!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 12:02 PM

Look here

Still convinced it's all a bunch of nonsense, but Woz is still involved w/ Apple.

Check your Apple directory, he may still be in there.

tobster
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 10:56 PM

Just a few words.

40 GB iPod: not unlikely, its already been a year since Toshiba announced the 10 and 20 GB 1.8 inch drives so a year later they might be up to 40. I would assumes Apple would want this in the iPod (leaving the issue of cost up to someone else ).

PPC970: I wondered about the 10.5 version number. Why jump from 10.2 to 10.5? Some people said that 10.2 actually should've been 10.5 since there were a lot of changes made. This 10.5 jump around the processor might actually make sense. No matter what, its just an issue of time when Apple will anounce a PPC970 Mac in my oppinion.

Apple PDA: One thing people are forgetting about the Danger HIPTOP device is that Danger actually sold it to another company which rebranded it in the US. The company is T-Mobile and the device is called T-Mobile HipTop and this info was in Danger's FAQ document (where it also says it retails for $249 and a colour screen is expected soon). Looking at some of the feature demos I can only feel a lot is OS X "lookie" and the AOL support is a dead give away for iChat I'd say.
About Woz presenting this himself is a good point. I'd expect Jobs to present it himself and Woz actually discussing the device a bit during the keynote. The planned Woz presentation is said to be about OS 9 and somewhat about OS X (according to the description on the macworld site someone posted earlier).

Besides the above points I do agree with some people that doubt Liquidity. However, he might be BSing about all the info on his mate just to throw anyone off. Most of his "rumours" are likely though I'd say and even the AMD rumour don't sound so far off.

Also, Liquidity, I'm a rumour junkie so please, oh please, go on

- tobs

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 11:25 PM

With a little Rendevous magic...

Voila! A deathmatch experience come to life! (Didn't you all know that your iPods have little GeForce 4 Ti 4600 chips in them?)
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

GooglyBear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 11:47 PM

Hello.

I think this is bunch of B.S....
first of all... If his "friend" is real then he must be steve jobs. There is no body at Apple that knows this much in different departments.
For example, if he's testing the new IBM processor.. which will put him in the hardware engineering team, then how can he be in OS Jaguar team which is software?? Now, how does he get to use a 40G prototype? which will be the iPod team.

Think before you speak.

Jeff

GooglyBear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2002, 11:48 PM

By the way,... Woz is not in the Apple Directory.

Jeff

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 11:55 PM

i didn't read the entire thread, only a couple posts, but did anyone point out that Apple's chipmaker is a cell phone company, so an Apple cell phone would not be entirely out of the question?

tobster
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
... Apple's chipmaker is a cell phone company ...
Not for long ???

- tobs

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 12:09 AM

::yawn::

::Unsubscribe::

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2002, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
::yawn::

::Unsubscribe::
Lets recap recent events:

Old: Steve said PDA was unlikely, but he saw a future in cell phone/pda.
Old: iPhone.org registered
NOW: Apple needs new PowerPC chips
New: AMD seeking new customers, getting into new markets. If their is a demand, they will go.
New: AMD CEO hints at providing chips to Apple, although technically denying it.
New: IBM announces 970
New: Hints Apple will use this chip, and it is pretty darn likely anyway
New: iPhone trademark registered in Australia
New: iPhone trademark registered in United Kingdom.

BTW if this guy did work in hardware he would know about 10.5. He would use it to test the hardware. 10.2 is probably incompatible with the 970.

iPhone is pretty darn likely anyway, Woz works in communications, iPhone domain, registered trademarks only recently etc.

907, dead likely anyway.

40 GB iPod. Certainly will happen, only a matter of when the larger drives come.

His predictions are very likely, and the only thing slightly controversial is the iPhone thing. And MWSF sounds like a very good target for all of this IMHO.
In vino veritas.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
Ok well i just hung out with my best bud from back in high school tonight, we r boith home for xmas break, who now works for apple and he shared a few kool tidbits with me.

1. The new IBM chip is the new apple chip and man is it fast. But we won't see it till around what he thinks will be build 10.5. He has it running, on a internal build of what will be 10.5 or so, mainly its for hardware compatabilty.No new features added on yet. Its code name, get this is "Pretty Kitty" following all the new apple cat name scemes. h said thats not gonna be the final name but its more of a inside name for a quick laugh. He says it pretty unstable mainly due to the 64 bit backwads compatability. But that they are working hard on it and should be up and running semi soon.

2. At Woz's speach they are going to be unvailing a new portable device. cell phone/pda. It will not be like a pocket pc running os x lite. It'll just be a apple celli, with a more advanced gui for notes and contacts and such that will all link in with isync and addy book, maybe a color screen. And he said there are no talks of a PDA that he has heard of. Just this.

3. 10.2.2 is a shaddy update. He said their call ceter is getting alot of calls about this. the update liked to flag the user level dir as a "deleted iteam" making it apear gone when its really not. it takes a 3rd party utility to fix this he said. I perosnally have not heard of any one with this isssue, but he's my best bud and never lied to me befor.

4. Hes got a 40 gig ipod at the office, but its getts pretty warm so it still needs some work

Thats all he said tonight, we are gonan hang tomorrow so i'll see what else I can get out of him

Opps forgot to add. The AMD rumor is this. Apple is cutting its ties with Moto. And if IBM can't handle the chip production, AMD has agreed tomake any extras they might need to help keep avalibility up. sorry bout that.

Take this as you will. I know most people dontl believe anything posted but oh well. I belive my best bud. And i've never posted anythign bogus here befor. later fellas,
Not to be a downer, but ask your friend if he recalls what hapens to those Apple employees who break their NDA.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by GooglyBear:
Hello.

I think this is bunch of B.S....
first of all... If his "friend" is real then he must be steve jobs. There is no body at Apple that knows this much in different departments...

...Think before you speak.

Jeff
One small comment: wrong.

Think before YOU speak, Googly Woogly.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2002, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:

One small comment: wrong.

Think before YOU speak, Googly Woogly.
You mean to tell me LiqX's friend is NOT Steve Jobs ?!?!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2002, 12:16 PM

Regarding the watch idea... Apple should learn from history...

The iPhone idea is interesting as MANY Mac users would buy one even if it wasn't all that amazing (and if it was designed well, Windows users would take notice)

The thing is, it simply needs to work VERY well with the digital hub concept (iSync and iPhone would have to work seamlessly, much as the iPod and iTunes does)

As a cost conscious consumer, it would need to have the following for me to even consider it.
- Work VERY well with iSync
- Hold every phone number, calendar, to do list, etc
- Hold a little music (a CD or two would be fine)
- Be very stylish (we have come to expect it with Apple)
- Have a long battery (much better then what we have now)
- Come with a few basic games (like what sprint PCS has)
- Work with my cell phone company (not everyone is going to switch)

at least 80% of that would need to be implemented for me to switch...

That being said, Apple is holding all the cards to make an amazing Cell/PDA
- iSync (keeps everything up to date
- Address Book (simple but clean and can include photos of your friends)
- iCal (simple calendar application)
- iChat (chat via the cell phone)
- Rendezvous (chat with others around you)
- BlueTooth (connect wirelessly AND could potentially be used as a "remote control" for various other applications)

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2002, 04:13 PM

I would buy an iPhone, well, if it was not $300 dollars.

-Owl

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 04:37 PM

Didn�t they wanted to introduce this rackmount switchblade storage device this autumn/winter???

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 04:40 PM

....want....

(sorry, no editing option working for me )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules