Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > my new puppy

my new puppy
Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 05:46 PM

here is the puppy i am getting this tuesday... still trying to think of a name... do you all have any suggestions???

more pictures here
http://homepage.mac.com/matthewgoar/PhotoAlbum21.html

thanks

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 05:48 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/matthewgoar/...geIMG_0716.jpg

should have bought his girlfriend too

how about

"Snap"
Mark Tungston

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 06:02 PM

you could be honest with your self and name t the na,e you will be reffering to it the most over the next 18 months: damn dog or monster/rotten/bad dog.

but that doesn't go over well with most girlfriends/wives. otherwise try to find something that charatcerizes its personality well.

for us this was the insperation: http://www.poochcafe.com/PChtm/cast.htm

ours is boomer, though poncho might have worked out as well

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Snappy:
http://homepage.mac.com/matthewgoar/...geIMG_0716.jpg

should have bought his girlfriend too

how about

"Snap"
i am trying to convince my uncle to adopt the other one... the one i got is a girl and the one i didnt get is her sister... same litter and everything

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2002, 06:37 PM

Congratulations on the new puppy. Its nice to have someone wating for you to arrive home. Lady or Lucy is a good name.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 06:41 PM

we actually have a cat named fluffy... he's male, to boot.

Dang, though, that's a HUGE puppy! (I think I'm just used to Angel, she's a Maltese, about 8" off the floor and that's it!)
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

ringo
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2002, 07:36 PM

Confuse it. Name it "Pink."

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:

Dang, though, that's a HUGE puppy! (I think I'm just used to Angel, she's a Maltese, about 8" off the floor and that's it!)
yea she is only 3 months old so she will be big... i am going to teach her to catch a mean frisbee...

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 08:14 PM

whats here wieght right now?

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 08:46 PM

she is about a foot tall and maybe 20 lbs

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2002, 09:00 PM

Nevermind

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 09:49 PM

If you don't want to be dragged around by your dog on a leash (and no one who owns a dog should be, although i see them stupidly struggling everywhere), get yourself the book: "No Bad Dogs," by Barbara Woodhouse.

Most folks don't realize they need to really train their dogs, or else they and their dogs are in for a long 10+ years of aggravation. It need not be like this, if the owners take the time and effort to start training their dogs from the minute they bring them home.

At 3+ months old you better be prepared ro rule your dog with firm consistency or your dog will make your life a hassle. You really don't want that, do you?

If you want any immediate tips, PM me and I'll be glad to give you a few quick tips.

Nimisys
Banned
Nov 24, 2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
she is about a foot tall and maybe 20 lbs
yeah shes gonna be big... at 4 months they weight about half of their adult wieght

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by mr. natural:
If you don't want to be dragged around by your dog on a leash (and no one who owns a dog should be, although i see them stupidly struggling everywhere), get yourself the book: "No Bad Dogs," by Barbara Woodhouse.

Most folks don't realize they need to really train their dogs, or else they and their dogs are in for a long 10+ years of aggravation. It need not be like this, if the owners take the time and effort to start training their dogs from the minute they bring them home.
yea i have already trained one 'family dog' (i read a couple books at the time but i do not remember their names), so i pretty much got that down... i dont really mind about the whole being dragged arround thing (i dont really use a leash that much anyway since i am normally not near streets, but i agree most people have no idea how to train a dog , thanks for the offer of help tho i appreciate it

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 10:26 PM

If there is one key tip it is this: get a Large Link choke collar, not one of those small link ones, and when you want your dog to pay attention to you, ususally when the dog is pulling on the leash and strangling itself to go elsewhere, slide your hand down the leash and yank the dog's head downward to the ground.

They are submissive creatures craving leadership and your firm downward tug on their head (as opposed to pulling against their strong necks) asserts your leadership, hence your dog will immediatekly look at you for a cue as to how to behave. Use a lot of hand and sound cues: HEEL (tap the side of your leg), SIT (apply a hand to their backside to make them sit), STAY (an open palm at them), etc. until they learn the verbal commands.

If you follow these rules early & consistently, your dog will reward you with years of leash free pleasure.

My dog walked leash free at my side, sat when i said "sit," stayed when I said "stay," and stopped when I stopped until I gave a cue that it was ok to run free and came when I called her. It is so easy but most folks don't bother teaching their dogs a damn thing and they are yanked about by a dog yearning to follow.

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 10:34 PM

If there is one key tip it is this: get a Large Link choke collar, not one of those small link ones, and when you want your dog to pay attention to you, ususally when the dog is pulling on the leash and strangling itself to go elsewhere, slide your hand down the leash and yank the dog's head downward to the ground.

They are submissive creatures craving leadership and your firm downward tug on their head (as opposed to pulling against their strong necks) asserts your leadership, hence your dog will immediatekly look at you for a cue as to how to behave. Use a lot of hand and sound cues: HEEL (tap the side of your leg), SIT (apply a hand to their backside to make them sit), STAY (an open palm at them), etc. until they learn the verbal commands.

If you follow these rules early & consistently, your dog will reward you with years of leash free pleasure.

My dog walked at my side, sat when i said "sit," stayed when I said "stay," and stopped when I stopped until I gave a cue that it was ok to run free and came when I called her. It is so easy but most folks don't bother teaching their dogs a damn thing and they are yanked about by a dog yearning to follow.
a choke coller is one thing i will never submit any animal... i am pretty sure that there are ways besides pain and discomfort to teach a dog to do things... i wont even put a regular coller on my dog.... instead i have a harness for my puppy...

jesus... i dont want my dog to be a 'submissive' slave... i want a companion that will not remember how 'well' i trained her by choking her... it may take longer to accomplish, but i am pretty sure this way this way is better...

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 10:35 PM

Posted by Phanguye:
i dont really mind about the whole being dragged arround thing...
You may not mind it, but I can assure you your dog hates it. You'll also hate it when your dog weighs 65+ pounds and is strangling itself to go where you don't want it to go. Take my advice above, please. You'll both be happier.

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 10:45 PM

Posted by Phanguye:
jesus... i dont want my dog to be a 'submissive' slave... i want a companion that will not remember how 'well' i trained her by choking her... it may take longer to accomplish, but i am pretty sure this way this way is better...
Did you read my quote above. My dog was not a "submissive slave," and spent most of her years free of being strangled on a leash unlike most dogs and owners I see who are in a constant battle with their dogs.

A Large Link choke collar is not hurtful at all to a dog yanked downward. What is hurtful is pulling on a leash against the dog's neck so that they are strangling themselves! I see it all the time.

Based on your response to my advice, I'll see you soon doing the same thing. Good luck to you and your dog.

Snappy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2002, 10:55 PM

my family has had a dog for it's entire existence i think...

i dont think dogs have the capacity to have an ego and etc. so they dont comprehend slave vs friend. for all the training, i would say it's like a game to them.

i think what mr natural says is absolutely true. make it learn now and the doggie will be leash free and very obedient and social.

and the link collor thing is true. yank down and it's like headlocking it while playing with it, yank up and it may be uncomfortable
Mark Tungston

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2002, 11:04 PM

i am not doubting that this method is effective... and i can see how yanking down on the leash would not be painful but is you are walking a puppy with one and it is pulling against the choke chain, it is going to pull back and be painful

once again it is a good method.. i just think there are better but harder methods to train a dog

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 24, 2002, 11:12 PM

Hey Phanguye:

Cute dog. I like names that people will be confused by, like the already suggested "Pink," or something that's a generic dog name, Max, Sam, etc.

And I didn't know you went to Central. Maybe you know some of my friends that are going there (and I may be next year although probably not).

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 12:23 AM

One last time.

You may refer to your dog as a "puppy," but have no doubt that you own a "dog," even at 3+ months old. Now is the time to train your "puppy" so that when it becomes a "dog" it won't need any kind of leash!

A "harness" is useless for "training" a dog. Maybe its useful for an HADD kid (like Ca$h), but for a dog it's pointless if you want a well trained dog. That is what you want, eh?

A Large Link choke collar will not harm a dog pulling against it any more than a regular leash. A small link choke collar (unless it is a little lap/rat dog) can be hurtful and that is why I specify a Large Link one.

If you use the choke collar early and regularly with your dog to train it to obey your commands you'll soon be done with it and never have to use it again. You can train your "puppy" on a choke collar as I've described in 3+ months. Out of a dog's life this is no time at all; but over the lifespan of your pet it will make all the difference in the world to both of you.

Imagine then that you can walk your "puppy" now grown into a "dog" anywhere you want without a leash, or a "harness." Or you can take your dog out on a leash when it outgrows it's harness and hassle with strangling it every time it pulls you about wanting to go where you don't want it to go. Imagine this for 10+ years. Have fun.

That is your choice, but I'm telling straight what your dog would like. It would much prefer to walk next to you without a leash following your lead you've taught your dog from the get go. That is what a dog wants, a leader!

Either you lead your dog or it will lead you, and you'll both suffer from the endless struggle.

I wish for your dog's sake that you take my advice. You may be dumb hearted but your dog isn't. She wants to follow you (they are after all pack animals) if only you'll lead her!

Good luck.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 12:27 AM

Reminds me of this article I saw earlier today:

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...7453286540.xml

WTF is wrong with kids today?

Why is it easy for them... yet so much harder for adults?

It's just not fair.

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 11:16 AM

One last time.

You may refer to your dog as a "puppy," but have no doubt that you own a "dog," even at 3+ months old. Now is the time to train your "puppy" so that when it becomes a "dog" it won't need any kind of leash!

A "harness" is useless for "training" a dog. Maybe its useful for an HADD kid (like Ca$h), but for a dog it's pointless if you want a well trained dog. That is what you want, eh?

A Large Link choke collar will not harm a dog pulling against it any more than a regular leash. A small link choke collar (unless it is a little lap/rat dog) can be hurtful and that is why I specify a Large Link one.

If you use the choke collar early and regularly with your dog to train it to obey your commands you'll soon be done with it and never have to use it again. You can train your "puppy" on a choke collar as I've described in 3+ months. Out of a dog's life this is no time at all; but over the lifespan of your pet it will make all the difference in the world to both of you.

Imagine then that you can walk your "puppy" now grown into a "dog" anywhere you want without a leash, or a "harness." Or you can take your dog out on a leash when it outgrows it's harness and hassle with strangling it every time it pulls you about wanting to go where you don't want it to go. Imagine this for 10+ years. Have fun.

That is your choice, but I'm telling straight what your dog would like. It would much prefer to walk next to you without a leash following your lead you've taught your dog from the get go. That is what a dog wants, a leader!

Either you lead your dog or it will lead you, and you'll both suffer from the endless struggle.

I wish for your dog's sake that you take my advice. You may be dumb hearted but your dog isn't. She wants to follow you (they are after all pack animals) if only you'll lead her!

Good luck.
once again... i have already trained one dog(and she is a wiemeraner, which are hyper) with out using a choke coller

but i know you are the know all expert on training dogs so i am sure your way is the only way

and anyway i was asking for advice on names not for some rant about how i better train my dog your way or she will be a pain in the ass

Phanguye  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by Steve:
Hey Phanguye:

Cute dog. I like names that people will be confused by, like the already suggested "Pink," or something that's a generic dog name, Max, Sam, etc.

And I didn't know you went to Central. Maybe you know some of my friends that are going there (and I may be next year although probably not).
ehhh... i dont go to central... the sweatshirt was just a gift from a friend that goes there

we were thinking maybe Arwen

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2002, 01:31 PM

Call her, "little sh!thead"

I am serious I will be funny when people ask whats her name!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by IUJHJSDHE:
Call her, "little sh!thead"

I am serious I will be funny when people ask whats her name!

Or....

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 03:10 AM

Name suggestions:

She strikes me as a Mamie or an Annie....but I like animals to have people names.

Good choice! Enjoy her!
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:

once again... i have already trained one dog(and she is a wiemeraner, which are hyper) with out using a choke coller

but i know you are the know all expert on training dogs so i am sure your way is the only way

and anyway i was asking for advice on names not for some rant about how i better train my dog your way or she will be a pain in the ass
I usually stay out of these discussions, but amen to Phanguye. I've trained 5 dogs with temperaments from Bassett Hound to Cocker Spaniel. All successes. No choke chains. 2 harnesses. Positive reinforcement (mostly). One thing I have learned - there are multiple methods to training. mr. natural - you act as if you're the "god" of dog training and unless we follow YOUR method, the dog will be pulling on the leash for 10 years. Admittedly it is annoying to see other people's dogs pulling, but as long as it isn't mine, I don't care. It never will be and I'll never use a choke chain.

back on topic - try picking a historical name that matches something about your dog. We called our dachshund puppy Cleo (short for Cleopatra) because of her beautiful markings and aristocratic aura. Or maybe just some abstract association. You dog is black, there's a potato-based liquor called "Black death", maybe call him russet. maybe not. we had a lot of fun with associations like that, though. And we ended up with a good name.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules