Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Save music videos in iTMS?

Save music videos in iTMS?
tarkap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 08:17 PM

Does anyone know of a way to save the music videos posted in the iTMS?

I like that they put the videos there, but it would be nicer if we could save them since I don't think they keep them online forever.

I searched my hdd for them (using ls, not finder) and couldn't find anything that would resemble the videos...

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2003, 10:09 PM

Yes, you can retrieve the movies. You probably need to use the Terminal. Do this:

1. Open iTunes, go to the Music Store, and go to the video that you want to keep. Don't navigate away from the video or iTunes will delete the temp file.

2. In the terminal, enter without quotes: "cd /tmp/501/Temporary\ Items"
Note that the number depends on which user you are on your system (the first one registered, the second one, etc) so you may need to replace 501 with 502, etc.

3. There will be a file named something like QTTemp234234892375. If you don't have tab autocompletion enabled then enter the command "ls" to see all the files. Then do "mv <filename> ~/Desktop" to move it to your desktop.

You can then rename it to whatever you want.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 10:29 AM

Kind of a drag that I pay for quicktime pro, and can't download a movie from itunes.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

brinj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 06:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spauldingg:
Kind of a drag that I pay for quicktime pro, and can't download a movie from itunes. [/QUOTE
quicktime pro makes it possible for you to encoded your own content and post or stream it where you want.

The videos are free and on demand when ever you want to see them. They are a perk.

You're willing to pay .99 for an audio file but want the video for free?

Surely the artists involved in creating the video are entitled to make money from their labors.

It's only a matter of time before the videos will be for sale as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules