Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17" LCD Blinking light- Error Code?

17" LCD Blinking light- Error Code?
mhawker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 12:07 AM

While moving, my Apple 17" LCD fell out of a box and hit the ground. Not far, maybe from a foot or so. Enough scratch the case a bit, but no "obvious" other damage.... until today.

It's worked for a week or so but now, even though it's on (I'm typing on it now) the top half seems dimmer than the rest and the light on the front right is blinking 3 times, stops and blinks 3 times again. It seems like an error code of some sort.

I did a search and found one post about an inverter. Anyone else have this problem or know if it could be an error code?

Mike

mhawker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 12:11 AM

Well, went back to Apple's site and don't know how I missed it the first time, but here is the answer:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88366

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 06:56 AM

My 17" Apple LCD began to play up about 6 months ago. The bottom was dimmer than the top here too... I too had the flashing power light.

Thing is, it fixed itself after about 2 weeks... indeed just as I was about to buy another one!

If you have applecare, get them to sort it, if not, it may rectify itself over time...

mhawker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2004, 02:24 PM

Thanks, TPC,

We'll see what happens. It's out of warranty (1 year?) so I'll let it go for a bit before I bring it in.

For anyone who's interested, the blinking code I've got is:

2 short blinks and one long.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by mhawker:
Thanks, TPC,

We'll see what happens. It's out of warranty (1 year?) so I'll let it go for a bit before I bring it in.

For anyone who's interested, the blinking code I've got is:

2 short blinks and one long.
There is also a thread knocking about on replacing the backlights yourself for *wwaaayyy* cheaper than a 3rd party... well worth a search if you have to go that route...

Good luck with it...

mhawker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2004, 01:36 PM

Sorry guys and gals, I don't check here too often. The problem fixed itself within a couple of days.

Thanks, Placid. I'll try to find that thread. I'm sure if it's gone out once, it'll be back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules