Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't take it anymore, need a new laptop: Hurry up apple....

Can't take it anymore, need a new laptop: Hurry up apple....
asmujica
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 12:52 AM

I've been limping along for the past year with an ibook 700mhz at work. It was great for college and all but the diminutive screen has really tired my eyesight working on it for about 9 hours a day.

Buying a second screen is not an option and I am seriously leaning towards buying a new sony laptop with an xbrite screen even though I've recently adquired a dual g5 powermac.

I feel like apple is dropping the ball big time with their outdated powerbook line, it has taken forever for them to come up with a worthwile update.

Not just with the processor but with the video card and screen.

If they don't act soon I may end up returning to stupid windows xp.

Why does apple insist on disapointing and anoying their customers in this fashion?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2005, 01:34 AM

Oh puh-leeze.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 12:06 PM

i read an article once with apple saying they are holding back on releasing new powerbooks just to annoy and disappoint you .

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Naplander
Senior User
Apr 11, 2005, 01:05 PM

Powerbooks are nice, but I hear what you are saying about the xbrite thing. Sony laptops are very nice indeed.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 01:13 PM

If anyone hasn't seen one of these xbrite screens, they are simply amazing. I have only seen one in passing at a CompUSA but was completely blown away.

Anyone that does know any technical details- what's p with that? How do they look so damn good? Is there a tradeoff?

osxisfun
Apr 11, 2005, 01:18 PM

some people have mentioned glare. i looked at some picks and i could really see a glare at least in the case of the guy that tooks the photos.

if there is a glare, i would not want it on my laptop. I HATE glare and had to move my current system around to avoid it in my place.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
some people have mentioned glare. i looked at some picks and i could really see a glare at least in the case of the guy that tooks the photos.

if there is a glare, i would not want it on my laptop. I HATE glare and had to move my current system around to avoid it in my place.
I've heard that reports are that the brightness is achieved by removing the anti-glare coating. The resulting LCD is good for pictures and movies, but absolutely terrible for text. In other words, say "hello" to eye fatigue and eyestrain. Glasses are in the buyer's future horoscope.

As for the original post, I'd prefer a policy that says, "we will release no Powerbook before its time." Put another way, "we will release no Powerbook before we have no white spots, no heat problems, and long battery life."

However, I am infinitely greatful to those beta-testers with deep pockets who always buy the first generation products, thereby ensuring that the message boards will be filled with juicy topics and that the next generation laptops will be much better quality.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
i read an article once with apple saying they are holding back on releasing new powerbooks just to annoy and disappoint you .

I read that also....
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

osxisfun
Apr 11, 2005, 02:22 PM

>I've heard that reports are that the brightness is achieved by removing the anti-glare coating. The resulting LCD is good for pictures and movies, but absolutely terrible for text. In other words, say "hello" to eye fatigue and eyestrain. Glasses are in the buyer's future horoscope.

Ouch. my eyes hurt just thinking about that...

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 01:02 PM

Lets remember that apple is first of all a company, and therefore it is primarily led by profits as far as customers let them get away with it.

IMHO they have been squeezing money out of the past few powerbook "updates" rather than trully updating components.

I've seen no reason to update to the current crop of powerbooks even though the ibook is getting pretty long in the tooth.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 01:25 PM

i say go buy your windows machine so we don't have to take any more of your whining...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 02:31 PM

This is not whinning, its a complaint.

Hopefully it will create a need among consumers that things need to change.

Apple take note.

( I wonder why apple has feedback for the powerbook for not for the ibook)

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 02:54 PM

You won't hear me whining; I bought one. The text on it makes the 17" Powerbook screen look blurry. I don't notice the glare; at least it does not interfere with my reading the text. I am now aiming the screen so it reflects a neon ceiling light on my job right now and the glare from the neon light is totally not an issue, perhaps in other peoples minds who look for it. The screen is so bright it exceeds such glare. Outdoors may be a problem, but still there is the advantage of even being able to see the display outside much better than the Powerbook. So label me a mole, Troll, whatever. The screen is definitely a step ahead of my 17" Powerbook in text quality as well as brightness. There is no arguement whatsoever here except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch. Yet I see nothing wrong with embracing both worlds.

If you want more proof I can take a digital pic of the text from both Powerbook and Xbright screens and post them for all to see. You will quite probably even see the blurry difference in the Powerbook text compared with the Xbrite on your computer displays, although it is totally obvious with the naked eye.
( Last edited by urrl78; Apr 12, 2005 at 03:01 PM. )

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
You won't hear me whining; I bought one. The text on it makes the 17" Powerbook screen look blurry. I don't notice the glare; at least it does not interfere with my reading the text. I am now aiming the screen so it reflects a neon ceiling light on my job right now and the glare from the neon light is totally not an issue, perhaps in other peoples minds who look for it. The screen is so bright it exceeds such glare. Outdoors may be a problem, but still there is the advantage of even being able to see the display outside much better than the Powerbook. So label me a mole, Troll, whatever. The screen is definitely a step ahead of my 17" Powerbook in text quality as well as brightness. There is no arguement whatsoever here except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch. Yet I see nothing wrong with embracing both worlds.
so the picture i saw a few weeks ago that showed an incredible amount of glare....I was making it up?

Whatever. I am happy for you. Just don't a be moron by calling those that have seen the glare brownshirts.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 03:04 PM

I won't if you won't be a moron by putting words in my mouth. This is my opinion and I am sticking to it. Glare exists but it is not in my opinion as overwhelming as you make it. Where I see a cat in the alley looks like you see a lion in the streets. Let the users check out the units for themselves and decide. I will stick to my own eyes as well as the opinions of many satisfied users. One thing that cannot be refuted is the text is tack sharp where as the Powerbook is not. This is the reason for my brownshirt comment; if you see otherwise either you are one or need glasses.
( Last edited by urrl78; Apr 12, 2005 at 03:15 PM. )

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 03:11 PM

so you do did not type this:

There is no arguement whatsoever here except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch.
I am happy you have an opinion. You are the other hand claimed:

There is no arguement whatsoever here except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch.
that anyone that disagreed with your "opinon" is a "brownshirt mac fanatic"...

So now I "need glasses" since i did see glare...

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 03:14 PM

You need to read over the last two sentences of my previous post:

"The screen is definitely a step ahead of my 17" Powerbook in TEXT QUALITY as well as BRIGHTNESS. There is no arguement WHATSOEVER HERE except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch. Yet I see nothing wrong with embracing both worlds."

What part of this do you not understand?

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 03:16 PM

You need to read over the last two sentences of my previous post:

"The screen is definitely a step ahead of my 17" Powerbook in TEXT QUALITY as well as BRIGHTNESS. There is no arguement WHATSOEVER HERE except for brownshirt Mac Fanatics who would rather fight than switch. Yet I see nothing wrong with embracing both worlds."

What part of this do you not understand?
Ok that part i will agree with and take back my comment.

The glare is the one thing i do not agree with you on.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 03:19 PM

That's cool, just a difference of opinion on that point then. When it comes to the screen's entire worth though, even with glare considered, I must confess I would myself be a bit of a fanatic; I would trade my 17" for the first Mac laptop available with it.
( Last edited by urrl78; Apr 12, 2005 at 03:26 PM. )

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 03:22 PM

That's cool, just a difference of opinion on that point then.
In the same vein:

I am purchasing a PC laptop this summer and probably going to skip the xbrite. My house has more windows that a glass house so i (assume) that one can not take off the xbrite so i prob will not take the chance.

see i "embracing both worlds." . Mostly just for testing though. (and tivo to-go since who knows when the mac client will ship)

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:21 PM

I have a IBM Thinbkpad T42 from my work, and a ti550, and the screen on my Powerbook smokes the IBM, which is 2 months old, I upgraded the screen to UXGA 1400 X 1050, and on a 128MB Nvidia GO5200. The screen is alright on the thinkpad, but my trusty old Ti still looks great. I have both windows and Apple machines, and if I had to choose, I would take my Mac over this IBM anyday. I know Thinkpad are highly regarded for their toughness and reliability, but I personally think this machine blows. My 2 cents. BTW, I am awaiting my new Powerbook 17" for delivery, so I guess this further cements what I have stated.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 04:31 PM

This is the one i am looking at. It replaces a similar model that had an option for xbrite.

http://www.gateway.com/home/products...t_3522gz.shtml

I have look at a lot of pc laptops and i LOVE the 14" screen size. Its going to be my 2nd machine so i don't want extra weight/size. the 15.4" laptops i saw were all a little too big for me. I was used to the pb size.

I guess 14" is a rarity of sorts but having seen on up close.....

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:36 PM

BY OSXISFUN This is the one i am looking at. It replaces a similar model that had an option for xbrite.

http://www.gateway.com/home/product...et_3522gz.shtml

I have look at a lot of pc laptops and i LOVE the 14" screen size. Its going to be my 2nd machine so i don't want extra weight/size. the 15.4" laptops i saw were all a little too big for me. I was used to the pb size.

I like those Gateway's, but my company is strictly IBM, OLD SCHOOL Thinking. I too like the 14" widescreen, that is a sweet spot.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

osxisfun
Apr 12, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by b1NARY73:
BY OSXISFUN This is the one i am looking at. It replaces a similar model that had an option for xbrite.

http://www.gateway.com/home/product...et_3522gz.shtml

I like those Gateway's, but my company is strictly IBM, OLD SCHOOL Thinking. I too like the 14" widescreen, that is a sweet spot.
that's a bummer. Maybe the new thinkpad owners will have a 14" option.

Yah. gotta agree again. The 14" was the perfect size for me.

Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by benwhanlee:
i say go buy your windows machine so we don't have to take any more of your whining...

hilarious. every time some one makes a critical comment of an Apple product...and a warrented critical comment at that...this guy shows up.

The xbrite screen rocks. There is some glare as its more glossy..but it if thats the tradeoff that must be made I'll take it. Its blows Apple's screens away period.

Once Apple starts shipping these displays this^ guy'll jump right on the bandwagon.

-------------

so go ahead benwhanlee, tell me I spelled "warranted" wrong. i know you're that guy too

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 11:29 PM

Those XBrite screens are over-rated if you have to use your laptop to look at text. Major eye strain.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 11:49 PM

How exactly are Apple's PowerBooks outdated? Compared to PCs? Maybe, but so are the Power Macs and a major "PC kickin'" update is on its way. But Apple just updated the dang PBs, so if you're going to buy a PowerBook, now is the time to do it. Or else you'll be waiting for a major PowerBook revision all the way into 2006.

When Apple releases their next-generation PowerBook, it'll be smoking awesome, just like the G4 Titanium was when it came out. Is there really any doubt about that?

I say, if you think PC laptops are the best things out right now, buy a PC. I'm willing to sacrifice speed because frankly, I can't stand anything else about PC laptops. Apple laptops fit me better, in terms of design and OS. And my PB is blazing fast for what I do.

When did this become so hard?
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by asmujica:
I've been limping along for the past year with an ibook 700mhz at work. It was great for college and all but the diminutive screen has really tired my eyesight working on it for about 9 hours a day.

Buying a second screen is not an option and I am seriously leaning towards buying a new sony laptop with an xbrite screen even though I've recently adquired a dual g5 powermac.

I feel like apple is dropping the ball big time with their outdated powerbook line, it has taken forever for them to come up with a worthwile update.

Not just with the processor but with the video card and screen.

If they don't act soon I may end up returning to stupid windows xp.

Why does apple insist on disapointing and anoying their customers in this fashion?
I actually bought a sony vaio s38 last month instead of a powerbook and the main reason i bought it was the xbrite screen. However, a week later, i returned it. It looks great in the store, but after working on it, the glare just gets hell annoying (especially under fluoro lights). It looks fantastic for viewing photos and dvds. But it's as **** as the next laptop screen for actually editing photos (e.g., you move your head and the colours change). Further, the colour across the xbrite screen is not consistent, mine had dark bands along the bottom left and right side of the screen running from the bottom of the screen to half way up the screen. I took it to a sony tech and he said that that was standard and a function of the viewing angle.

Anyway, after writing a similar rant to the one above about a month ago, i have come full circle and i actually bought a new powerbook 12inch, after 20 odd years of pc use, which im typing on now. It's by far the best value full featured 12inch laptop i could find (apart from dell 700m which has a shitty keyboad and a glossy screen). The screen looks fantastic and in my opinioin the comments about the text being clearer on an xbrite screen, at least after i set the antialisaing thing to low, is a crock of ****. Outdoor use, the sony is better, but if your sitting in full sun, good luck actually seeing anything for the reflection of the sun in your eyes.

I guess it's a personal thing, but i will never even consider another glossy screen display, but people do apparently like them, so perhaps Apple should offer them as BTO. However, unless you've actually owned a glossy display, rather than just seen them in a shop (which was what sucked me in), reserve your judgement.

And Urrl78, you are seriously talking out your arse. If you aimed the reflection from a neon light off the xbrite screen directly into your eyes, you wouldnt be able to see anything other than the glare, unless you wear polaroid sunglasses to work or unless you have seriosuly dim lights in your office.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 08:10 AM

I have a IBM Thinbkpad T42 from my work, and a ti550, and the screen on my Powerbook smokes the IBM, which is 2 months old, I upgraded the screen to UXGA 1400 X 1050, and on a 128MB Nvidia GO5200. The screen is alright on the thinkpad, but my trusty old Ti still looks great. I have both windows and Apple machines, and if I had to choose, I would take my Mac over this IBM anyday. I know Thinkpad are highly regarded for their toughness and reliability, but I personally think this machine blows. My 2 cents. BTW, I am awaiting my new Powerbook 17" for delivery, so I guess this further cements what I have stated.
Funny I found exactly the oposite. When I received my T42 with the SXGA+ display and put it next to my 1.33GHz 17" Powerbook the T42 display smoked the Powerbooks. Where the T42 was bright, sharp and clear the Powerbooks text look blurry, also the whites on the T42 were much whiter than the 17" Powerbooks which in comparison looked dingy and yellow. I've since sold the Powerbook and am buying a 15" Powerbook this week. I'm also waiting for a T43p, it will be interesting comparing the two displays.

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 09:27 AM

I like those Gateway's, but my company is strictly IBM, OLD SCHOOL Thinking.
Nothing wrong with that - IBM makes the best laptops and desktops on the PC side. Nothing beats the reliability of the Thinkpad (except maybe the Toughbooks).

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by striker100:
Funny I found exactly the oposite. When I received my T42 with the SXGA+ display and put it next to my 1.33GHz 17" Powerbook the T42 display smoked the Powerbooks. Where the T42 was bright, sharp and clear the Powerbooks text look blurry, also the whites on the T42 were much whiter than the 17" Powerbooks which in comparison looked dingy and yellow. I've since sold the Powerbook and am buying a 15" Powerbook this week. I'm also waiting for a T43p, it will be interesting comparing the two displays.
I think a lot of this has to do with font smoothing used on X vs XP. I have a Thinkpad a31p (work) that has a 1600x1200 15" display and XP looks crisp.

I've been playing around with PearPC on it and OSX on the same screen looks a little bluurier. But it is a tad better looking with the font smoothing.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by dissapointed:
I actually bought a sony vaio s38 last month instead of a powerbook and the main reason i bought it was the xbrite screen. However, a week later, i returned it. It looks great in the store, but after working on it, the glare just gets hell annoying (especially under fluoro lights). It looks fantastic for viewing photos and dvds. But it's as **** as the next laptop screen for actually editing photos (e.g., you move your head and the colours change). Further, the colour across the xbrite screen is not consistent, mine had dark bands along the bottom left and right side of the screen running from the bottom of the screen to half way up the screen. I took it to a sony tech and he said that that was standard and a function of the viewing angle.

Anyway, after writing a similar rant to the one above about a month ago, i have come full circle and i actually bought a new powerbook 12inch, after 20 odd years of pc use, which im typing on now. It's by far the best value full featured 12inch laptop i could find (apart from dell 700m which has a shitty keyboad and a glossy screen). The screen looks fantastic and in my opinioin the comments about the text being clearer on an xbrite screen, at least after i set the antialisaing thing to low, is a crock of ****. Outdoor use, the sony is better, but if your sitting in full sun, good luck actually seeing anything for the reflection of the sun in your eyes.

I guess it's a personal thing, but i will never even consider another glossy screen display, but people do apparently like them, so perhaps Apple should offer them as BTO. However, unless you've actually owned a glossy display, rather than just seen them in a shop (which was what sucked me in), reserve your judgement.

And Urrl78, you are seriously talking out your arse. If you aimed the reflection from a neon light off the xbrite screen directly into your eyes, you wouldnt be able to see anything other than the glare, unless you wear polaroid sunglasses to work or unless you have seriosuly dim lights in your office.
I may blow something out of my arse at times but it is not smoke.

I set the laptop on the desk with a neon ceiling light directly over head. Here are the pics. Like I said the glare is obviously there but the text is obviouly readable due to the superior brightness of the screen. Didn't you say I could not see anything? Now who's blowing smoke?

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum38.html
( Last edited by urrl78; Apr 14, 2005 at 06:49 AM. )

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 08:05 PM

The only thing I have to say is the powerbooks need a g5 chip.
One of my friends has a sony with a xbrite screen; it is nice but, in some lighting it is really really really hard to read and has lots of glare.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2005, 08:53 PM

I'd just like a higher resoluton screan, don't really need the xbrite. I do think it would be a nice option, but a high quality higher rez screan would be a perfect addition IMHO.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

asmujica  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2005, 09:15 PM

I may blow something out of my arse at times but it is not smoke.

I set the laptop on the desk with a neon ceiling light directly over head. Here are the pics. Like I said the glare is obviously there but the text is obviouly readable due to the superior brightness of the screen. Didn't you say I could not se anything? Now who's blowing smoke?

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum38.html
That is one sweet looking laptop. It looks tinny next to that 17incher.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the compliment. The main reason for buying it is that I needed a laptop 12" or under with a PC card slot and unfortunately Apple does not make them. I can take The Sony Vaio T250 anywhere and with the Verizon wireless BroadbandAccess card I can get on the net anywhere without base stations or routers; I am typing this sitting in my card at the job parking lot, and yes it does also work with the 17" Powerbook. In fact I have used the card in the Powerbook, opened up the sharing function and used the Powerbook as a base station so I could get on the net with the 17" and let my God daughter use the T250 which was connected wirelessly, sharing the internet with the Powerbook, as seen in the webpage photo.

Guess it depends on your daily environment with the Xbrite. I have only one window in my room at home and the blinds are usually drawn, and there are no windows near my cubicle; only overhead ceiling lights, but I can understand the points taken against the Xbrite screen; it just does not seem to effect me and if ever it does I simply change the angle of the screen. So Xbrite may not be for everyone but the GROWING production of the screens under different names by different companies certainly indicates many people must be satisfied with them; I certainly am.
( Last edited by urrl78; Apr 14, 2005 at 07:45 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules