Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting Spooked About New iBook Purchase...

Getting Spooked About New iBook Purchase...
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2002, 10:38 PM

Boy, am I starting to have second thoughts about a new iBook (600MHZ Combo) arriving Monday from Amazon.com...

I always wait until new hardware has been around for some months before taking the plunge, and I thought that the current iBook models had been around long enough for the major bugs to have been corrected.

But reading items in this forum are making me think twice about getting an iBook right now...Let's see...squeaky hinges that Apple may or may not fix under warranty, CD drive drawers that open by magic (and not the good kind of magic...), etc.

The (very) mixed reviews on Apple's service doesn't help either...

Rather than experience buyer's remorse, I am seriously considering returning the iBook and waiting until Apple has addressed some of the issues that seem to continue to affect iBook owners, with the hope that Apple will correct these defects in the next iBook revision.

I should note that I am in no particular hurry to have an iBook. I just thought that it was a good deal for the price at Amazon.

Then again, maybe I should stick to the Happy iBook Users' Forum.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2002, 11:06 PM

If you deem it was time to get a new computer, don't worry about it. The iBook is an outstanding machine.

Wait until you get the iBook before you make up your mind - don't let pessimistic iBook owners make you feel bad (and of course, don't make overly optimistic iBook owners make you purchase blindly, either!) .

Get an AirPort and I guarantee you'll fall in love with your iBook. Of course, my guarantee is about as good as... uh... an M$ guarantee

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2002, 11:22 PM

Seriously, Apple's sold a #$%^ load of the dual USB iBooks. The few problems you see here are a REALLY small percentage. It's like you only watch the weather report on the news on days when it will rain. Yeah, it makes it seem like it rains every day, but it's just because you're not hearing about all the sunny ones in between.
Gee, wasn't that some nice imagery?
Anyway, my iBook 600/Combo is totally perfect. Everything works, no dead pixels, etc. If these iBooks were of terrible quality, Apple wouldn't have sold that aforementioned $%#$^% load of 'em.
Enjoy!

dragonbong
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
<STRONG>Seriously, Apple's sold a #$%^ load of the dual USB iBooks. The few problems you see here are a REALLY small percentage. It's like you only watch the weather report on the news on days when it will rain. Yeah, it makes it seem like it rains every day, but it's just because you're not hearing about all the sunny ones in between.
Gee, wasn't that some nice imagery?
Anyway, my iBook 600/Combo is totally perfect. Everything works, no dead pixels, etc. If these iBooks were of terrible quality, Apple wouldn't have sold that aforementioned $%#$^% load of 'em.
Enjoy!</STRONG>

SupahCoolX has hit it right on the head. Just like the news we in general it's filled with awful things like war, famine, disease etc. However you also once and a while get the plus side of the world like Microsoft and it's multple law suits, And just like in these threads you'll find the same thing, the minority of problems heard a lot with the sprinkle of the majority being happy. Well I my self have an ibook 600 dvd 384mb and am utterly pleased with it's performance and have only one problem, allowing my girlfriend to use it.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2002, 11:03 AM

Just to let you know, my new iBook (600 MHz, DVD) arrived about a week ago with none of the problems. I also called Apple a few times with some problems I had on my other computers in the past year, and they were all happy to help.

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2002, 12:23 PM

I just bought an iBook 600Mhz a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The above posts are right on the money. If more people would post their positive experiences, you would find they would far outweigh the bad.

If you need a new machine... go for it. You won't regret it.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2002, 01:25 PM

I have had my iBook 500 since last may, and have had absolutely no problems with it. (other than one dead pixel, which is entirely reasonable.) Most people who have the iBooks love them, and Apple is more willing than most to fix small problems such as squeaky hinges and the like. Every laptop is going to have some technical issues in some percentage of units - with Apple, that number is surprisingly small. Other units, like the first generation TiBook, had some real issues (batteries coming loose, poor airport reception, case that shocks you, scratching DVDs), which make the iBook's problems look small by comparison.

PGS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
<STRONG>Boy, am I starting to have second thoughts about a new iBook (600MHZ Combo) arriving Monday from Amazon.com...
</STRONG>
I've been extremely happy with my iBook 600. Mine arrived in early November and it works great. I finally made the move to OS X in the last month after nearly ten years of OS 7-8.6. The more I use it the more I like it. For what I do the iBook has plenty of power to handle nearly anything.

I had considered a Ti PowerBook but the display is so much sharper with the iBook. I can even read it up close without my reading glasses. The smaller size makes it much easier to pack. I slip mine into a protective cover and slide it into an outside pocket of my carryon suitcase. I don't know if it is more durable than a TiBook but it feels like it. Once you use it for a while you'll be very happy with it!
PGS

"An Apple a day since '82"

Bernard Ducamp
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2002, 04:57 PM

My 2 cents also!

You only tend to see problems and complaints and questions on the forums.

Hundreds of thousands of iBooks have been happily purchased and used.

I LOVE MINE ! ! !

I think it's the finest portable computer you can buy, unless you need a PowerBook.

anna katzner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 10:01 PM

hi Mojo,

if that' s your concern:
...squeaky hinges..., CD drive drawers that open by magic
- forget about it.

the iBook600 is (in my 10 years with apple-machines) the most perfect machine i've ever had.

the things you mention may be an annoyance - a fault they definitely aren't.

there was a problem with the power-jack on the 500-iBooks, but this appears to be long gone and fixed.

so go for the iBook!

anna

MUGlover
Mar 20, 2002, 05:11 PM

&lt;Small percentage of problems&gt;

I agree. My 500 MHz iBook has been going strong since May and it has only the one dead pixel (probably the SAME one Phoible noticed).

Turning away from the iBook because of the postings here would be like saying, "I'm not going back to New York. I saw a sick person in a hospital there once."

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 08:56 PM

Buy a dual-usb iBook. This is my favorite computer ever and I've had dozens over the years.

I had 5 Dell Latitudes go bad. A colleague is also on his 5th now and the keyboard is dying. (It's really a motherboard issue that plauges certain models.) Our company has had to replace tons of Dell laptops. I think we had one dead Pismo out of all the ones we bought. Apple makes good gear.

I had 2 problems with my iBook. The touchpad started popping out and I had to send it back for some TLC. Then I had the sleep coma problem which was due to bad memory from Crucial. Both of these problems have been fixed and my iBook is working perfectly. I couldn't be happier. As a result of this wonderful computer, I've decided to replace another one of my personal computers with a new iMac, and another family member if getting an iMac now, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules