Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't mount CF cards since Panther? - HELP!

Can't mount CF cards since Panther? - HELP!
mbryda
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 09:50 PM

I upgraded to Panther last week and I love it - it has made my iMac have new life again!

However, I'm having a serious issue with Panther and my CF cards from my digital camera....

Before Panther, I could read/write/format them on my Mac and use them in my digicam (Minolta D7) without incident. Things just worked and worked well. I have since upgraded to Panther and noticed that cards formatted in my camera can't be read by Panther. They can be read by the camera and Windows machines (so the card is ruled out), but not by Panther. I get the following errors when they are inserted into the reader:

Code:
Nov 1 20:23:21 Matt-Brydas-Computer diskarbitrationd[111]: unable to mount /dev/disk6s1 (status code 0x0000001C). Nov 1 20:23:21 Matt-Brydas-Computer diskarbitrationd[111]: disk6s1 msdos 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 NO NAME [not mounted]
If I format the card in the reader, the Mac (and Windows) can read them, but the camera gives a "card unusble error". They then have to be formatted on Windows to be able to be used with the camera.

So, what the heck did Apple do to the mount/format routines in Panther and is anyone having a similar issue?

Thanks for any suuggestions - this is insanely frustrating!!!!
( Last edited by mbryda; Nov 1, 2003 at 10:29 PM. )

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 11:34 PM

My Dazzle PCMCIA 4 in 1 card reader works just like in Jag.

Terri
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 11:47 PM

Mine is working just fine with my Nikon card.

Maybe you need a driver for yours.

mbryda  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 11:51 PM

Hmmm. That's a thought. I do need a driver for the card reader, but the one from Jag seems to work fine.

I tried with my camera directly - it's USB mass storage (no driver needed and supported by iPhoto) and same deal. I'm really confused by all this.

To add more interesting things - I tried the camera direct to my wife's iBook and it works fine (on a card that wouldn't mount on my computer).

Very strange!

mbryda  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 01:28 AM

But it's still a bug....

Apparently, only my Mac didn't like the fact that the CF card had no volume name (NO NAME), since the exact same card worked fine on my wife's iBook under Panther...

Renamed the card (under Windows) and it was instantly recognized.

Apple needs to fix this ASAP.
( Last edited by mbryda; Nov 2, 2003 at 01:46 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules