Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Halo 2 - Pretty impressive!

Halo 2 - Pretty impressive!
Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 02:58 PM

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articl.../402116p1.html

Now I have to rethink about buying a XBOX

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 02:59 PM

we can't view. mind hosting pics in question?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 13, 2003, 02:59 PM

Shame I am not a member.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
we can't view. mind hosting pics in question?
I'd love to host the movie but it's 80MB and my iDisk is halfway full.

Anyone else willing to host it? I'll send you the file via AIM or something.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 03:03 PM

are there just pictures?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 13, 2003, 03:04 PM

Screw it, I got my Xbox for the upcoming Conkers:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/402/402134p1.html

And Banjo.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 03:06 PM

are there just pictures?
Nope, there aren't any pix there yet. I'm sure they're very busy at E3 right now. When they have some up, I'll get them and host on my iDisk

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 03:25 PM

I can host it. IM me: JustPuff

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 03:50 PM

What's the movie? Is it the teaser that's been floating around since Sept. or something new?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Now I have to rethink about buying a XBOX
Getting an xbox allowed me to ditch my PC in favor of a dualie G4.

I thought I might have a tough time playing Halo using a gamepad. It took some adjusting of course, maybe a week to get comfortable. Co-op play is an absolute blast, although in retrospect I wish we had cranked up the difficulty level all the way because we cruised through most of the levels with ease.

If you do get one, also put Splinter Cell on your must buy list.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:
Screw it, I got my Xbox for the upcoming Conkers:
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/402/402134p1.html

And Banjo.
Sweet! I liked the N64 version.

Sand not to go off topic: HALO 2 IS GONNA OWN J00!

-Owl

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by starman:
What's the movie? Is it the teaser that's been floating around since Sept. or something new?

Mike
Something new... it's 8min footage of first level (?) from begin to end. VERY AMAZING, I'm telling you.

hayesk
May 13, 2003, 05:15 PM

Baah! That's not impressive at all. What would be impressive is if Bungie actually kept their promise and released a Mac version of Halo.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Baah! That's not impressive at all. What would be impressive is if Bungie actually kept their promise and released a Mac version of Halo.
Get over it

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 06:06 PM

So can someone post it already? I would love to see it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 06:28 PM

OMG

It f----g ROCKS!

Put it this way, this game is going to OWN every single combat game EVER made. EVER.

Mike
( Last edited by starman; May 13, 2003 at 07:00 PM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 07:31 PM

And WOW. Have you seen the Doom 3 trailer???

Mike

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 07:42 PM

Put it this way, this game is going to OWN every single combat game EVER made. EVER.
You mean with its revolutionary first person perspective, multiple weapons, and network play? Just like every other game out there?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

starman
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
You mean with its revolutionary first person perspective, multiple weapons, and network play? Just like every other game out there?
Did you actually WATCH the video? There are about half a dozen things that NO GAME HAS EVER DONE.

Mike

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 07:50 PM

Did you actually WATCH the video? There are about half a dozen things that NO GAME HAS EVER DONE.

Mike
Now I regret giving my Xbox away. I'll just buy another when the time comes .

I mean, jumping on the moving vehicle, the double uzis, the...everything! Simply amazing.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
I mean, jumping on the moving vehicle, the double uzis, the...everything! Simply amazing.
Ever play Sin?

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2003, 08:17 PM

Ever play Sin?
Don't be a prick. I was never a fan of XBOX but this trailer got me all drooled. It *is* amazing.

This put Sin to shame, really.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 13, 2003, 08:23 PM

would anyone be kind enough to host this so i can watch it?

ambush
Banned
May 13, 2003, 08:39 PM

Yeah, because I don't feel like getting even more spam in my inbox.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2003, 08:53 PM

OMG

It f----g ROCKS!

Mike
::twitching:: wtf are you doing to us when we don't even have the video?
DBGFHRGL!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 13, 2003, 08:55 PM

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaP...title=Halo%202

Click past the ad page to get to the files. (and yes, this game is going to be awesome)
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Don't be a prick. I was never a fan of XBOX but this trailer got me all drooled. It *is* amazing.

This put Sin to shame, really.
Most games put Sin to shame, the game is almost 5 years old and it's based off the original Quake engine.

I was just pointing out that you had vehicles you could use, dual weapons, everything.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 12:47 AM

Wow, very cool. The Bungie boys are still kickin' ass. The driving through the city blasting baddies away looked awesome. Hopefully they add enough new stuff to outdo the first one. Should be very cool -- I'll have to find a friend with an Xbox.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 12:55 AM

Man, so many people without an xbox. Here's an idea...
The next time you guys buy a mac from the Apple Store skip the 128MB RAM upgrade and use the savings to pay your rent and pick up an xbox.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by pooka:
Man, so many people without an xbox. Here's an idea...
The next time you guys buy a mac from the Apple Store skip the 128MB RAM upgrade and use the savings to pay your rent and pick up an xbox.
Pffft. Who buys their RAM from Apple? Besides, I'd rather have the RAM.

Adam Betts  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2003, 01:47 AM

Most games put Sin to shame, the game is almost 5 years old and it's based off the original Quake engine.

I was just pointing out that you had vehicles you could use, dual weapons, everything.
Yeah I understand what you mean

sambeau
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 02:06 AM

are there just pictures?
here

hwshi
May 14, 2003, 06:23 AM

full trailer here

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 08:14 AM

Erm, hate to be a party pooper. But didn't Oni look "revolutionary" at the time, didn't Halo look great when it was first shown?

Oni - Wow! Oni's coming out! It's gonna kick Lara Crofts butt! [fizzle,pow,bong] - Ah! It kinda sucks ass, doesn't it?

Halo - Wow! Have you seen the screens and vid for Halo? It looks like it'll kick the butt of every 3rd person, first person, combat sim etc to hell and back! - Wait hang on, it is for Mac right? Yeah, cool. Wait, no? Microsoft just bought you over and you're turning one of the most eagerly awaited games of the last decade into a fizzly disappointing FPS game? What about all that cool cooperative play, and third person stuff? What's that? We can go screw ourselves? What do you mean it won't even be out for Mac or PC within the next four hundred years? Are you gonna give us the actual game Halo? Not the Xbox "Halo Lite" version?

Yeah, well, point is, don't be too excited by anything that Bungie shows off until you see it. As far as I can tell, they really have gone to the sh*t. I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm wrong.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
Yeah, well, point is, don't be too excited by anything that Bungie shows off until you see it. As far as I can tell, they really have gone to the sh*t. I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm wrong.
I'm sure the sales numbers will prove you ARE wrong.

Mike

faragbre967
Senior User
May 14, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
Erm, hate to be a party pooper. But didn't Oni look "revolutionary" at the time, didn't Halo look great when it was first shown?

Oni - Wow! Oni's coming out! It's gonna kick Lara Crofts butt! [fizzle,pow,bong] - Ah! It kinda sucks ass, doesn't it?

Halo - Wow! Have you seen the screens and vid for Halo? It looks like it'll kick the butt of every 3rd person, first person, combat sim etc to hell and back! - Wait hang on, it is for Mac right? Yeah, cool. Wait, no? Microsoft just bought you over and you're turning one of the most eagerly awaited games of the last decade into a fizzly disappointing FPS game? What about all that cool cooperative play, and third person stuff? What's that? We can go screw ourselves? What do you mean it won't even be out for Mac or PC within the next four hundred years? Are you gonna give us the actual game Halo? Not the Xbox "Halo Lite" version?

First, no one was excited for Oni. It looked bad and it was bad.

Second, Halo kicked ass, and MS bought Bungie for it so they could launch the Xbox with it. Disappointing? How, maybe it was in your twisted Mac-biased world, but in reality it won a whole lot of Game-Of-The-Year awards. Cool co-op was in there, and what third person stuff are you talking about? Even if they did show off something like that, it was so early in development that they just switched it. Granted, MS did push Halo out the door a little fast, leaving us with this "Halo Light" you speak of, but it's still better than any other game I've played. Halo 2 is gonna be the best game ever, and if you disagree with me, then you haven't watched the E3 demo.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
Cool co-op was in there,
I absolutely love co-op games, but I also abhor split screen co-op. It's unfortunate there is no system link option for Halo. Bungie/M$ will definitely drop the ball if H2 does not have system link co-op.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
First, no one was excited for Oni. It looked bad and it was bad.

Second, Halo kicked ass, and MS bought Bungie for it so they could launch the Xbox with it. Disappointing? How, maybe it was in your twisted Mac-biased world, but in reality it won a whole lot of Game-Of-The-Year awards. Cool co-op was in there, and what third person stuff are you talking about? Even if they did show off something like that, it was so early in development that they just switched it. Granted, MS did push Halo out the door a little fast, leaving us with this "Halo Light" you speak of, but it's still better than any other game I've played. Halo 2 is gonna be the best game ever, and if you disagree with me, then you haven't watched the E3 demo.
I've played Halo quite a bit, single player, coop, and multiplayer LAN/Internet games and I have to say I'm not overly impressed. The graphics are pretty, and the vehicles are entertaining, but the single player and coop is just run and gun against the same 3 enemy character types for almost the entire game. After an hour and a half I was pretty sick of blasting those little bastards.

Multiplayer is inherently crippled unless you use LAN play or the internet hack. The game has no bots! So playing while on one xbox just basically sucks because most of the levels are huge and the game is meant for much larger battles than only 4 participants. Even with LAN or Internet play it isn't overly compelling. Setting up LAN play is a hassle requiring a lot of people and tvs and Internet play through GameSpot is just generally frustrating. If the game doesn't lag because of a crappy connection you spend half your time trying to find games and connect. Once in a big multiplayer game it can be pretty fun, but it's nothing outstanding. I'd rather play Counter-Strike or Battle Field 1942.

Halo 2 does look visually stunning and I'm very impressed with how alive the environment is, but based on the demo level in the vid it looks like a shooter on rails. By that I mean you follow a defined script and simply shoot where you are told. This style of game can definitely be very fun, but I don't think it is as wildly ground breaking as many of you saying. Using two guns at once has been around forever. Based on the video it doesn't look like you can take over every vehicle, only specific ones that are scripted to be taken over. And YOU aren't really taking over the vehicle, you simply hit a button when the computer tells you and the game goes to a quick cutscene where your character steals the vehicle. The section where you gun while the computer drives is far from revolutionary, this has been in a ton of FPS in the past and imo is usually frustrating.

In summary, Halo 2 looks like a nice visual upgrade of Halo with a couple improvements here or there. It will be a good game and I'm sure I will play my fair share of it, but it by no means looks like it will crush every FPS ever made. Right now Doom 3 has far superior graphics to Halo 2, and it will be released before Halo!

-matt

starman
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
I've played Halo quite a bit, single player, coop, and multiplayer LAN/Internet games and I have to say I'm not overly impressed. The graphics are pretty, and the vehicles are entertaining, but the single player and coop is just run and gun against the same 3 enemy character types for almost the entire game. After an hour and a half I was pretty sick of blasting those little bastards.

Multiplayer is inherently crippled unless you use LAN play or the internet hack. The game has no bots! So playing while on one xbox just basically sucks because most of the levels are huge and the game is meant for much larger battles than only 4 participants. Even with LAN or Internet play it isn't overly compelling. Setting up LAN play is a hassle requiring a lot of people and tvs and Internet play through GameSpot is just generally frustrating. If the game doesn't lag because of a crappy connection you spend half your time trying to find games and connect. Once in a big multiplayer game it can be pretty fun, but it's nothing outstanding. I'd rather play Counter-Strike or Battle Field 1942.

Halo 2 does look visually stunning and I'm very impressed with how alive the environment is, but based on the demo level in the vid it looks like a shooter on rails. By that I mean you follow a defined script and simply shoot where you are told. This style of game can definitely be very fun, but I don't think it is as wildly ground breaking as many of you saying. Using two guns at once has been around forever. Based on the video it doesn't look like you can take over every vehicle, only specific ones that are scripted to be taken over. And YOU aren't really taking over the vehicle, you simply hit a button when the computer tells you and the game goes to a quick cutscene where your character steals the vehicle. The section where you gun while the computer drives is far from revolutionary, this has been in a ton of FPS in the past and imo is usually frustrating.

In summary, Halo 2 looks like a nice visual upgrade of Halo with a couple improvements here or there. It will be a good game and I'm sure I will play my fair share of it, but it by no means looks like it will crush every FPS ever made. Right now Doom 3 has far superior graphics to Halo 2, and it will be released before Halo!

-matt
Uhh....

First off, there are a LOT more than 3 baddies in Halo. You obviously didn't really play it. And if you got bored after 90 minutes, why did you continue with the other types of gameplay?

Second, Halo 2 CLEARLY shows that that playing field is open, and you can interact with object in the world. Where did you get the impression there was a script? Just because you talked to a few people?

Third, Halo was released LONG before XBox Live was, so bashing it because its net play was bad is weak at best.

Fourth, how in the world can you say that Doom 3 has far superior graphics? THEY'RE BOTH ON THE XBOX! Yes, Doom3 is coming out for the PC, but the demo at E3 showed the XBox version. You probably don't realize that the processing power of a dark hallway allows the machine to render the close quarters with better detail as opposed to a wide open space where the machine has to spend more time keeping the video fluid at the sacrifice of detail. That said, "the graphics are better" shows your lack of understanding of how video rendering works.

Lastly, if someone showed you a demo of GTA:VC, would you say it was "on rails" without actually playing it? How do you know what's scripted and what isn't? How do you know what you can and cannot interact with? How do you know what vehicles you can take over? It was a DEMO.

Learn a bit about games before blasting one title over another.

MIke

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 12:57 PM

Uh oh. Now look what you've done.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 01:29 PM

When is this being released?

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 14, 2003, 01:44 PM

Holy cow that does look a zillion times better then the first one which was really repetitive and boring in the level design.

That first level looks like it is right out of Aliens but I guess that is a good thing.

I was hoping that those little gremlin aliens wouldn't be in it as it made me feel like I was playing Conkers Bad Fur Day. Ah well.

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 01:47 PM

Uhh....

First off, there are a LOT more than 3 baddies in Halo. You obviously didn't really play it. And if you got bored after 90 minutes, why did you continue with the other types of gameplay?
I said it was mostly the same 3 baddies. Of course there were more enemies, but over 80% of the game involved shooting the same 3 types of baddies.

Second, Halo 2 CLEARLY shows that that playing field is open, and you can interact with object in the world. Where did you get the impression there was a script? Just because you talked to a few people?
I never said the playing field wasn't open, I said that based on the demo level it look like it was heavily scripted. For example you run and talk to a character, then shoot some guys for a certain amount of time, then a ship blows something up, then the computer tells you to run to the next area where you talk to someone and shoot some more bad guys, then the computer tells you to jump in a warthog and it drives around while you shoot stuff for a certain amount of time, then the computer tells you to shoot ghosts, then the computer tells you to jump on a moving ghost....etc...etc. I KNOW this is a demo and I haven't played the game at all, but based off of this the game seems very scripted.

Third, Halo was released LONG before XBox Live was, so bashing it because its net play was bad is weak at best.
I'm not bashing the game because of it's net play, it's great that it has net play at all. My point was that multiplayer in Halo is crippled without bots. The developers knew the game was going to be released without built in internet play, yet they chose not to add bots. I'm sure this was M$'s fault in forcing Bungie to release the game in time for the xbox launch. As it is, it requires a lot of effort to play enjoyable multiplayer in Halo.

Fourth, how in the world can you say that Doom 3 has far superior graphics? THEY'RE BOTH ON THE XBOX! Yes, Doom3 is coming out for the PC, but the demo at E3 showed the XBox version. You probably don't realize that the processing power of a dark hallway allows the machine to render the close quarters with better detail as opposed to a wide open space where the machine has to spend more time keeping the video fluid at the sacrifice of detail. That said, "the graphics are better" shows your lack of understanding of how video rendering works.
First off, your argument that they both run on the xbox is weak at best. I know from reading some of your other posts that you aren't a dumb guy, but this is a terrible argument. Shrek also runs on the xbox, so by your logic it is graphically equal to both Halo 2 and Doom 3. Here is how I can say Doom 3 has superior graphics: The character models are twice as detailed, the textures are way more detailed and the lighting effects are out of this world in Doom 3. I fully understand that is much more difficult to create a world the size of Halo 2 with the graphical detail of Doom 3, but if you put the two games side by side 99 out of 100 people will quickly say Doom looks better. I never said Halo 2 looked bad, in fact it looks great. The details in the environment are incredible, but the graphics of Doom 3 blow me away more than Halo 2.

Lastly, if someone showed you a demo of GTA:VC, would you say it was "on rails" without actually playing it? How do you know what's scripted and what isn't? How do you know what you can and cannot interact with? How do you know what vehicles you can take over? It was a DEMO.
I made it very clear in my previous post that I was basing my opinions on the demo, and the whole point of my post was that certain people on this forum were hyping this game up way too much based solely on the demo. I was simply critiquing the demo to show that, based only on the demo Halo 2 is not all that groundbreaking. My whole point is that saying things like, "this is the greatest FPS evar and will crush anything" based only on this demo is stupid. Like you say, who knows what can be interacted with, or what will happen in the actual game?

Learn a bit about games before blasting one title over another.
This is a snide remark, but learn a bit more about games before proclaiming them the Jesus of their genre. I don't want to get into a big argument about this, I think Halo 2 will be great and I eagerly await a chance to play it.

-matt

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2003, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
When is this being released?
I've heard early 2004.

-matt

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 14, 2003, 01:53 PM

Ok I have to say that the trailer did seem VERY scripted. I mean everything interacted exactly how it should have to make it look super cool. If you are even off by a second cuz you don't know where to go then it wouldn't have worked out half as nice.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2003, 01:58 PM

The thing is, EVERY game has a script of some kind. Every single one. Even The Sims or Everquest follows some kind of set rules for certain scenarios. Take Unreal for example. "Prisoner 347 escaping", etc. The dark hallway, etc. Even GTA:VC is scripted, but still has a lot of openess to it and that game was hailed as being revolutionary because you could do whatever you wanted (almost..you still can't put bullet holes in buildings, etc.).

Point is, from my point of view, it seems as if there's a lot more area to cover in this game than that last one. It looks more to me like a cross between FPSs, the openess of GTA:VC, and a lot of original ideas.

As for the graphics issue, just because Shrek runs on the XBox doesn't mean that the developers of the game put AS MUCH work into it. That's my point. If you're going to max out the XBox's capabilities, you have a balance of detail vs. fluidity. I'd bet you that you could never get Doom 3's detail AND Halo 2's smoothness at the same time. Anyone who says that one looks better than the other based on detail alone is pretty narrow-minded.

Mike

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 14, 2003, 02:00 PM

OK lets just say that the game looks AMAZING even though the trailer was very scripted and Halo offers nothing that hasn't been done by other games before. That is not a bad thing as they seems to have done a great job.

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
May 14, 2003, 02:52 PM

Intresting. Xbox's losses have doubled and they just axed the price by another 10%

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/displ...fm?NewsID=2865

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:
Intresting. Xbox's losses have doubled and they just axed the price by another 10%

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/displ...fm?NewsID=2865
What a real setback for M$.

"It's comin' right for us!"

"Throw some money at it!"

And where did this Halo 2 v. DOOM 3 battle come from!? D3 is far more impressive, IMO, even despite it being a more in-doorsy game (because even the indoor environments are highly detailed). Halo's a game you could tweak to run on every system happily without it going to total crap in the framerate department (cut back on some geometry, turn off bump-mapping completely, and keep the lighting, and you'd even be good on the PS2) -- cap it at 30FPS and you'd be fine. D3 wouldn't be so easy. The character models and environments are high geometry, everything is bump-mapped, and all of the textures are high-res, and did everyone forget the stencil lighting? It's taking all of the pixel-shaders not often used and making them standard. If you're gonna pick a console to port it to, Xbox is the way to go -- it's got the memory for all of the textures. Otherwise, fire up your 3GHz P4.

Can't wait for D3, man. It's the next standard all developers should jump on. Same with Quake 1.

Seeing all these games, though -- I've got a boner for the next generation of consoles already.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2003, 03:37 PM

It was definitely worth the wait it took you guys to post a link. Is this going to be only for XBOX2?
DBGFHRGL!

Forum Links
Forum Rules