Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare Sucks! (15" g4 pb)

Applecare Sucks! (15" g4 pb) (Page 2)
GreenwoodMO
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 02:16 PM

If your handy you could take your Powerbook apart and if you can get to the back of the dent you can gently tap or massage the dent out. Since your dent is on the corner this might be difficult to get out. I had a dent on the top of my PB next to the track pad that I was able to completely remove it by tapping it out. Make sure you have the PB case sitting on a towel before you start tapping on the dent.

You could also order a replacement case part from here http://www.pbparts.com/shop/_al+_cs but the parts are pretty expensive.

Fix the dent and then send it in for warranty repair. What do you got to lose?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 02:25 PM

Sometimes it cheaper to live with alternative answers.

Get a PC card eathernet port

Get Safeware insurance to cover hinge when it finally breaks!

PeterKG
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 07:18 PM

Why are people still posting with suggestions and comments? The original poster hasn't been back since 2/1. Give it a rest.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by PeterKG
Why are people still posting with suggestions and comments? The original poster hasn't been back since 2/1. Give it a rest.

Because some suggestions apple to other users who might have similar problems later!

rparke1
Banned
Feb 5, 2006, 10:03 PM

ßßß
( Last edited by rparke1; Feb 17, 2006 at 12:20 PM. )

gyneric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 02:58 AM

I'm listening. You guys have been very helpful and I really appreciate all of your comments. I will be calling Apple this week, once I find a couple of hours I can devote to being on the phone with them (applecare closes at 5pm I think and I'm on the east coast...) I will definitely keep this thread updated on my situation. Thanks again

PBG4 User
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 02:50 PM

That 5PM is PST. You have until 8PM to call them in EST.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

gyneric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2006, 02:57 PM

im an idiot

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Not to be rude (and this is off-topic here), but are you absolutely positive that it's defective hardware?

Generally, the first thing a tech will do is to boot the machine from an external hard drive with a known-to-be-good system and then see if the problem shows up (unless it's specifically described as an intermittent problem).

If it doesn't, it's packed right back up and sent back to the customer, since it can't be a hardware problem.
I'm 99% sure. I've wiped my system clean and have done a fresh install 3 times. I have also played with every color/display utility I can find and nothing phases it.
"I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I don't need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the President. Maybe somebody needs to explain to me why they say something, but I don't feel like I owe anybody an explanation."

- Dictator George W. Bush, Washington Post, 11-19-02

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 07:31 PM

what does the Hardware Test disk say?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by gyneric
im an idiot
Don't say that! YOU. ARE. NOT. AN. IDIOT. They're many arseholes in this board that are unnecessarily rude and unhelpful in their answers. Are you an idiot for having a goofy friend? Are you an idiot for following the advice given by an Apple employee? Are you an idiot for expecting to have decent service for what you pay for?

I mean, you didn't cause these damages intentionally, it was an accident! You called for service and the guy told you to come back. Unfortunately, more damages occured meanwhile, but Apple can't refuse to service your computer because there are some cosmetic damage, totally unrelated to your hinge problem. Car dealers try to get away with a similar attitude: "Hey, you installed fog lights yourself, this voids your entire warranty, so we cannot fix your defective window".

As for the "AppleCare doesn't cover cosmetic damage" argument, if you accept that and forget it, you're being screwed! Clubs and restaurant frequently pull a similar stunt: they display a nice sign in front of the coatcheck: "Not responsible for loss or theft". Yes they are! Legally! Companies may claim what they want, but you can always take them to the court to prove your point. Sound fishy to me that a SINGLE dent voids the complete warranty of the machine, forever! If you people accept that without saying anything, you're being ripped off! ("Sorry, you scratched the front bumber, we won't fix the muffler that rusted after 4 months"). Goods are supposed to last a relative amount of time, while using it for its intended use. We're talking about a friggin' laptop! It's meant to be used in many conditions, not just inside a carefully cushionned cubicle at your workplace...

Here in Québec, a refrigerator maker may garantee its product for 4 years, but if you paid a good price for it and expected greater quality, a judge can rule that the product should last at least 8 years and force the maker to repair it for free. I don't recommand you go this route, but we, as a large population, should be able to do something like this.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 03:21 PM

I agree completely, one time I sent in my iPod, w/applecare, and they said that the very, very minor dent on the back was the reason that the scroll wheel wasn't working and that it would cost 100 bucks to fix. I did it anyways, but something that has nothing to do with your problems should be fixed free of charge.

rickrobin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 03:22 PM

Hear! Hear!

liquidh2o
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2006, 03:34 PM

I think the point that is being missed here is that there is no way to prove that the hinge defect existed prior to the powerbook being dented.

You can claim apple said they'd fix it for you before the holidays, but Apple can claim that the accidental damage was not fully realized until it was taken in for repair.

Your powerbook is now damaged. Apple has no way to determine the details of the accident and any subsequent defect, whether directly/indirectly related to the original damage. This is specifically why they do not cover accidental damage.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 07:39 PM

This is why you pay an insurance premium!

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Don't say that! YOU. ARE. NOT. AN. IDIOT. They're many arseholes in this board that are unnecessarily rude and unhelpful in their answers. Are you an idiot for having a goofy friend? Are you an idiot for following the advice given by an Apple employee? Are you an idiot for expecting to have decent service for what you pay for?

I mean, you didn't cause these damages intentionally, it was an accident! You called for service and the guy told you to come back. Unfortunately, more damages occured meanwhile, but Apple can't refuse to service your computer because there are some cosmetic damage, totally unrelated to your hinge problem. Car dealers try to get away with a similar attitude: "Hey, you installed fog lights yourself, this voids your entire warranty, so we cannot fix your defective window".

As for the "AppleCare doesn't cover cosmetic damage" argument, if you accept that and forget it, you're being screwed! Clubs and restaurant frequently pull a similar stunt: they display a nice sign in front of the coatcheck: "Not responsible for loss or theft". Yes they are! Legally! Companies may claim what they want, but you can always take them to the court to prove your point. Sound fishy to me that a SINGLE dent voids the complete warranty of the machine, forever! If you people accept that without saying anything, you're being ripped off! ("Sorry, you scratched the front bumber, we won't fix the muffler that rusted after 4 months"). Goods are supposed to last a relative amount of time, while using it for its intended use. We're talking about a friggin' laptop! It's meant to be used in many conditions, not just inside a carefully cushionned cubicle at your workplace...

Here in Québec, a refrigerator maker may garantee its product for 4 years, but if you paid a good price for it and expected greater quality, a judge can rule that the product should last at least 8 years and force the maker to repair it for free. I don't recommand you go this route, but we, as a large population, should be able to do something like this.
Why do people decide to add a post without actually reading and comprehending what has gone before. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but at least add some justification to back it up rather than just disagreeing for the sake of it. And tell us something we havent already heard. Basically, this post just regurgitates the 'applecare unfair, should cover accidental damage' argument that's been covered over and over and over (and rebutted over and over and over). Tell me why it's unfair, and tell me how/why apple should be liable for something that their contract doesnt cover and do it in a way that's original? And use a credible comparison! You're comparing a) someone's coat being nicked, b) A four year old faulty fridge and c) a car with selfinstalled fog lights as somehow providing useful material for solving the case at hand (i.e., self inflicted damage to a laptop voiding warranty).

But at least ive been enlightened to a potentially profitable fridge litigation business in Quebec.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 11:16 PM

Well, believe it or not, I read the entire thread - many times! So far I decided to refrain from posting because people obviously only want to play devil's advocate and are not interested in saying anything useful. But when I saw that the original poster was thinking he was an idiot, after reading all your nonsense, I decided I should straighten things up a little.
Originally Posted by dissapointed
Tell me why it's unfair, and tell me how/why apple should be liable for something that their contract doesnt cover and do it in a way that's original?
Because IT IS covered! Sure, Apple may argue that it's not proven that the additionnal damage didn't cause the original hinge problem, but you know, so start acting accordingly.. The hinge problem is covered. Period. If you stand on Apple's side (even if their argument may win), you are obviously a retard who should start thinking about taking class on philosophy, humanity, I don't know..

Finally, my comparaisons are perfectly valid: a) it illustrates that even if a company states in written that they are not responsible for this or that, the reality may be different. A judge will decide. b) even if the company garantee something under limited conditions, a judge can rule that it should last for a longer period and order the company to fix it. Fridge, couch, computers alike. If you buy a 500$ laptop, don't expect much, but a PowerBook is a high-end equipment that shoud resist some minor transportation. c) you miss the point entirely. If you damage something while messing with it, you're responsible. Same thing if you crash the car and you claim that you bumper is faulty! But, if you modify something like the engine (Nitro kit, turbo, etc) and your brakes are faulty, the dealer cannot refuse to fix it because you voided your warranty when you enhanced the engine. Same thing for damage that are not related to the piece at fault.

Stop wasting our time please. Apple said they would fix it but insisted that he waits after the holiday. Meanwhile, sh!t happened and more things broke. But now Apple refuses to repair the original problem (hinge) because of the further damage (wow, a dent, he must really beat up his belongings!). It would be very bad publicity/reputation for Apple to cringe on a thing like this. The matter should resolve with a little argumenting with the manager.. Make a point that Apple told you they would fix it (it should be on file) and that you expect that they respect their word. Are you a switcher? Maybe insert that fact in the conversation, while stating that you are not satisfied of the service, after all, would HP refuse to fix a fried modem port because the case is cracked?
( Last edited by FireWire; Feb 11, 2006 at 11:33 PM. )

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2006, 12:25 AM

I don't think anyone said the hinge shouldn't be replaced, as originally posted. I think everyone is saying the damage that resulted in a DENT and a BACKLIGHT problem on the keyboard was HIS damage. Problem is, unless he has a ticket for the hinge, there is NO WAY of proving the hinge problem wasn't related to the dropping of the laptop.

Last time I checked, dropping your laptop and damaging it was not a manufacturing defect - which is ALL Applecare covers.

He has a dent in his computer, and other problems crop up. Could they be related? Sure.
Could they be independent of each other? Sure. How does either side prove it? They can't, so the person with the problem has the onus to do so.

As far as I see it, Apple should repair his hinge and nothing else. He dropped it, he likely broke it.

As anything else, GET IT IN WRITING!! If they told him to bring it back later, he should have a got a trouble ticket, or something else that proves that he had a problem prior to dropping it.

Um.....we aren't talking about HP. Would they fix it? Ask HP, right now we are talking about what Apple does (or doesn't). I suspect they would be asking questions about surge protectors, lightning strikes, etc. Now if said modem was dented, cracked, etc....I suspect they would say - Nice try, buy another one if you want it.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by jwoods
I don't think anyone said the hinge shouldn't be replaced, as originally posted.
Well, if so, good. Nobody clearly stated which part should be covered, and as you read the thread, it sound as if people were saying nothing should be fixed because he has no proof.

Last time I checked, dropping your laptop and damaging it was not a manufacturing defect - which is ALL Applecare covers.
Items shouldn't only be garanteed to be defect-proof: they are required to last a reasonable amount of time for a normal usage (see the fridge example). A little scratch and dent here and here are perfectly normal for a laptop and people should not give up and accept the contrary as a reply (see the scratch and brake example).

I'm not targetting AppleCare in particular, i'm just saying that additionnal coverage or not, the original warranty should not expire at the first sign of use. We're not talking about abuse, which is clearly a different story: just normal wear and tear.
Um.....we aren't talking about HP.
Come on... a little mental effort here!

ICD2k3
Feb 12, 2006, 02:22 AM

maybe not HP... but doesnt dell even cover accidental damage? Could be wrong.

If I'm buying a $2000 computer I expect apple to be behind it and KNOW that normal people dont just have $2000 to blow everyday.
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ICD2k3

If I'm buying a $2000 computer I expect apple to be behind it and KNOW that normal people dont just have $2000 to blow everyday.

That is why insurance companies exist (and Thrive!)
LIfe insurance (I mean death insurance)
Auto Insurancce
Disability insurance
Homeowners
Renters

If you are unable or unwilling to "self insure" (risk) than you offset risk with insurance.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ICD2k3
Yup... they call it CompleteCare, and it costs about as much as AppleCare for a laptop.

ICD2k3
Feb 12, 2006, 10:29 PM

yea that doesn't really increase my preference for apple either
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 08:28 AM

Well, believe it or not, I read the entire thread - many times! So far I decided to refrain from posting because people obviously only want to play devil's advocate and are not interested in saying anything useful. But when I saw that the original poster was thinking he was an idiot, after reading all your nonsense, I decided I should straighten things up a little.
the original poster was refering to his getting the time zones wrong as idiotic. I doubt very much that he has been driven to despair like you seem to think. Like i said, dont just read, COMPREHEND!!!!
If you stand on Apple's side (even if their argument may win), you are obviously a retard who should start thinking about taking class on philosophy, humanity, I don't know..
Grow up mate. We're discussing computer repair on an internet forum. Not the finer points of ethics in business. If you've got some kind of pent up frustration, get off the computer and go to the gym or something. And if you really feel the need to hurl insults, then have the guts to put your name to it. What are you 10 years old?

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 12:04 AM

Come on... a little mental effort here!
, give me a break. You want to compare what another company does in relation to another in regards to warranty support. It doesn't really matter what HP covers, does it? It's totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Mental effort, indeed.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2006, 05:56 AM

Why do people decide to add a post without actually reading and comprehending what has gone before. Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but at least add some justification to back it up rather than just disagreeing for the sake of it. And tell us something we havent already heard. Basically, this post just regurgitates the 'applecare unfair, should cover accidental damage' argument that's been covered over and over and over (and rebutted over and over and over).
FireWire, THAT is the relevant part of the post.

If you've read the thread, it has been clarified SEVERAL TIMES why a WARRANTY does not and CANNOT apply to a damaged machine.

Apple is under NO legal obligation to do ANYTHING, and for good reason.

There's over fifty posts here, and almost nobody saw the need to be an asshole about the issue back when this topic was still alive and actively discussed.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 05:19 PM

the original poster was refering to his getting the time zones wrong as idiotic. I doubt very much that he has been driven to despair like you seem to think.
Sorry, my mistake. As there was no direct reference, I mistakenly thought he was saying this derogatory comment as a general statement, after reading all you negative posts.
Grow up mate. We're discussing computer repair on an internet forum. Not the finer points of ethics in business.
[...]
What are you 10 years old?
I think that quote speaks by itself... Again, my mistake, I innocently thought that ethics and global matters were a a thing for the grown up. In my opinion, being closed-minded is actually a childish behavior.
give me a break. You want to compare what another company does in relation to another in regards to warranty support. It doesn't really matter what HP covers, does it? It's totally irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
If you read my post carefully, you'll notice that I suggested he uses this as an argument in front of the manager ("I'm not satisfied with the service, the competition handles it better"). Most managers don't like to hear that (if they care about their customers), and sometimes it will coax them to be more compliant in order not to be humbled by the competitor. Just a suggestion.

analogika: please read my posts with more attention, especially in regards of the exemple I gave (refrigerator, car, etc) which I think are explanatory enough.

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 06:44 PM

Just complain enough, and youll get your way. Get loud.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2006, 11:44 PM

analogika: please read my posts with more attention, especially in regards of the exemple I gave (refrigerator, car, etc) which I think are explanatory enough.
I did.

They are irrelevant to the terms of Apple's warranty.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:35 AM

They are irrelevant to the terms of Apple's warranty.
I know. But they are relevant to the PowerBook's warranty, the LEGAL warranty. I don't understand why you people keep on defending Apple's position, even when you well know they are wrong (or at least they could do better). Why always aim low? Don't you want/wish things to be better?

I won't re-explain all my examples but I think the coatcheck one explains the situation pretty well: a company makes you "sign" an implicit agreement that they are not responsible for loss of theft, by placing a sign beside the counter, so you "agree" to their term when you lend them your coat. Fortunately for us, they are in fact responsible for this. The law says so. In the event that you actually lose something in the coatcheck, will you just accept the thing and say "well, they had warned me, I can do nothing!"?

We're supposed to unite for better "conditions", not fight each other. People have died for matters more important than this, but you won't even suggest to a fellow user to try to get further than the first obstacle, just because "someone said so"? Use your common sense!
------------
"Get up, stand up! Stand up for your rights!" - Bob Marley
( Last edited by FireWire; Feb 16, 2006 at 03:56 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 05:55 AM

I know. But they are relevant to the PowerBook's warranty, the LEGAL warranty. I don't understand why you people keep on defending Apple's position, even when you well know they are wrong (or at least they could do better). Why always aim low? Don't you want/wish things to be better?
Okay, I don't know how it is over in North America, but here, there is no such thing as a LEGAL warranty.

Warranties are completely voluntary and bound to the terms put forth by the manufacturer of vendor who offers the warranty. I'm pretty sure that's the case in the U.S. as well.

There is a two-year legally-required guarantee period, which only covers manufacturing defects - in practise, defects that occurred the first time within six months of purchasing the device.

In the case of the guarantee, it is up to the customer to PROVE to the vendor/manufacturer that the defect in question is actually a manufacturing defect.

Have fun proving that a defect on a damaged device is the manufacturer's problem. You're not going to find a lawyer willing to take the case.

Also, this form of legal guarantee does not exist in the U.S. (it is one of the reasons why consumer goods tend to be slightly more expensive in Europe).

As I said on the first page, the warranty - which is completely voluntary - explicitly excludes damaged devices, and for excellent reason: Every idiot who's dropped his Powerbook will claim that the DVD burner was working fine for three months afterwards, or that it was already broken before the drop, and that it's therefore under warranty.

The only chance the original poster has is to hope that Apple will do him a favor in light of the fact that *they* told him to wait until after the holidays.

Again, all of this has been said already, and none of it will change.

This isn't "uniting against unfair oppression", this is realizing that Apple are a business that needs to protect itself from abuse by customers.

I have dealt with the company myself in a prolonged "battle" over warranty/guarantee on a completely failed device, and though it took a while, they were *incredibly* gracious and really came through shining, presenting me with a solution they were under NO legal obligation to provide, and which far exceeded what would have been "satisfactory".

However, I was nice to them at all times (if increasingly desperate).

They were nice back.
( Last edited by analogika; Feb 16, 2006 at 06:02 AM. )

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 01:12 PM

So I have a question. I have a 15" Powerbook g4, that I've dented a few times. I've only dropped it once. But now there's a loose hinge. I took it to the Genius bar and he said they'd have to send it in to fix it but it would be free to tighten the hinges up. Im just worried that if I send it in theyll call me asking for extra money to fix it because it looks like I may have dropped it. Thanks.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2006, 03:23 PM

As you stated, twice, this legal warranty may not be under effect in the US. I'm not a lawyer. But we Canadian just learned about this recently when a case came under light of the national tv network. Perhaps you're enjoying the same rights without knowing it!
Again, all of this has been said already, and none of it will change.
Congratulations, great way of thinking. Nice citizen attitude...
This isn't "uniting against unfair oppression", this is realizing that Apple are a business that needs to protect itself from abuse by customers.
I think there is a fair margin between "protecting yourself from abuse by customers" and "cover damage incurred after normal use"!! If the product brakes after being handled normally, then it's a manufacturer's defect: it should withstand non-abusive use without denting and breaking apart.

I understand that as a company, Apple will fight blood and nails to avoid fixing it for free, but what I don't understand, is that ordinary customers agree with this, without saying anything, like a total submissive person.

Again, even if your legal system doesn't include a legal warranty, the other law principles applied in the others examples are still perfectly valid. I fully aknowledge that it is written black on white in Apple's contract, but a contract cannot superseed the law; you cannot give up your rights in a contract.
( Last edited by FireWire; Feb 16, 2006 at 06:26 PM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 02:19 AM

Items shouldn't only be garanteed to be defect-proof: they are required to last a reasonable amount of time for a normal usage (see the fridge example). A little scratch and dent here and here are perfectly normal for a laptop and people should not give up and accept the contrary as a reply (see the scratch and brake example).
State your source and/or clarify, please. Where this is applicable, etc.
Linkinus is king.

dissapointed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 09:09 AM

I think there is a fair margin between "protecting yourself from abuse by customers" and "cover damage incurred after normal use"!! If the product brakes after being handled normally, then it's a manufacturer's defect: it should withstand non-abusive use without denting and breaking apart.
Who is arguing this point? The warranty says quite clearly that cosmetic damage (scratches etc) doesnt void the warranty. However, he dropped the laptop and described a dent. Laptops weren't designed to be dropped and putting a dent in your laptop implies non-normal use. I really dont get how you think that what you're doing is fighting for consumer rights. Maybe clumsy consumer's rights. Why should the manufacturer be liable because you had an accident. You're effectively talking about making manufacturers responsible for other peoples misuse of their products. And the only people who would end up paying would be consumers in general as prices would go through the roof and design would probably go to **** as manufacturers attempt to make bomb proof laptops to protect themselves from the minority at the expense of the majority. We're not talking about product misrepresentation (e.g., bogus, fraudulent claims etc) . Apple never said you can drop their computers and they'll come up gold no matter what. So i really dont get where you're coming from.

Anyway, why dont you put your money where you mouth is and draft us a set of warranty conditions that would apply to a laptop computer in your socialist utopia?

theokandroid
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 02:01 PM

No were talking about Apple not fixing a defect in their systems, because they can blame the problem on the fact that he dropped it. when I sent my iPod in they said I hadnt taken care of it because it had a very minor dent in it, and it was heavily scratched. The only thing I ever did was keep it in my pocket, i never dropped it. Now a product should be able to withstand "normal" use. I believe that you shouldnt have to keep a device in 50 layers of bags and sleeves, just because the manufacturer made it fragile.

gyneric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 04:13 PM

I know this thread is long dead, however I'd like to post an update to my situation. After weeks of being lazy and dragging my feet, I bought an intel 20" imac (with Applecare) and was able to send my Powerbook out. It was back in my hands exactly 48 hours after DHL picked it up, and I must say I am more of a believer in Applecare than I ever was.

During the 8 hours my Powerbook spent at Apple's facilities in Houston, it was fitted with a new keyboard with new backlight, all new aluminum (outer top and bottom case, inner aluminum parts), a new logic board, new trackpad and button, replaced wifi/bluetooth card, and a new hinge and hinge clasp. I'm not even sure why they replaced most of these parts, but it now feels like a factory fresh Powerbook.

I still can't believe how much Apple went above and beyond any of my expectations, especially when my case put them in a hard position. If you're out there (Thomas, from Applecare) thanks for hearing me out.

Thanks again to everyone from the MacNN community for your advice and support

galarneau
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 05:28 PM

For all of you wanting to protect your Macs from accidental breakage, look at:

Laptop Insurance From Safeware

$40 a year will cover my MacBook for breakage/theft.

A wise investment for me since I have an 11 month old at home.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gyneric
I know this thread is long dead, however I'd like to post an update to my situation. After weeks of being lazy and dragging my feet, I bought an intel 20" imac (with Applecare) and was able to send my Powerbook out. It was back in my hands exactly 48 hours after DHL picked it up, and I must say I am more of a believer in Applecare than I ever was.

During the 8 hours my Powerbook spent at Apple's facilities in Houston, it was fitted with a new keyboard with new backlight, all new aluminum (outer top and bottom case, inner aluminum parts), a new logic board, new trackpad and button, replaced wifi/bluetooth card, and a new hinge and hinge clasp. I'm not even sure why they replaced most of these parts, but it now feels like a factory fresh Powerbook.

I still can't believe how much Apple went above and beyond any of my expectations, especially when my case put them in a hard position. If you're out there (Thomas, from Applecare) thanks for hearing me out.

Thanks again to everyone from the MacNN community for your advice and support
Some friendly advice, do not procastinate in taking action and make damn sure that any correspondence between you and a company is documented.
F = ma

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2006, 05:58 PM

Yuppers.... my MacBook ships Monday. Turns out there was an internal scratch on the display (clear factory defect and not user caused, but only proveable if I showed them while the unit was relatively new).

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2006, 10:03 PM

I'm not sure about other Apple Stores, but the one located in Stonestown Maill San Francisco is almost utter bs. My review of the Genuis Bar is somewhat mixed.

The first time I went in there to get a stuck screw out and it went w/o a hitch.

The second time I went in to have the whine and the noisy right fan assembly looked at. This other Genuis punk asshole doesn't even give my issue a second look and brushes me off immediately saying they can't do anything and sends me on my way. The least I wanted was to have a tech take a look at it. My commute to the store was 20 mins and the meeting was less than 1. I really wanted to beat the living **** out of him. He was more occupied w/ getting rid of customers than anything else.

The third time I went in for paint peeling on my mbp and SAME Genuis totally gives me the "it's your fault" look and gets all in my face about how it couldn't happen and pushed the fault onto me w/o further investigation.

I already sent in my mbp once for the mobo replacement etc and it was very hard on my busy schedule for 5 days. I'm readying to send it in again to have the top cover replaced if other Apple Stores refuse my warranty.

I give that Apple Store a 2/5 star rating.

gyneric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by n8236
I'm not sure about other Apple Stores, but the one located in Stonestown Maill San Francisco is almost utter bs. My review of the Genuis Bar is somewhat mixed.

The first time I went in there to get a stuck screw out and it went w/o a hitch.

The second time I went in to have the whine and the noisy right fan assembly looked at. This other Genuis punk asshole doesn't even give my issue a second look and brushes me off immediately saying they can't do anything and sends me on my way. The least I wanted was to have a tech take a look at it. My commute to the store was 20 mins and the meeting was less than 1. I really wanted to beat the living **** out of him. He was more occupied w/ getting rid of customers than anything else.

The third time I went in for paint peeling on my mbp and SAME Genuis totally gives me the "it's your fault" look and gets all in my face about how it couldn't happen and pushed the fault onto me w/o further investigation.

I already sent in my mbp once for the mobo replacement etc and it was very hard on my busy schedule for 5 days. I'm readying to send it in again to have the top cover replaced if other Apple Stores refuse my warranty.

I give that Apple Store a 2/5 star rating.
n8236 -
Try sending it in. The Geniuses have to be cautious that they don't do repairs on damaged hardware, otherwise it comes out of their paycheck (or so I heard). I don't know if this is the case for service center employees, but it seems that they have more flexibility for repairs

Forum Links
Forum Rules