Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray launch date: May 23, 2006

Blu-ray launch date: May 23, 2006
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 1, 2006, 02:14 PM

Blu-ray player and movies will be released on May 23:

Samsung BD-P1000

Launch titles:

50 First Dates
The Fifth Element
Hitch
House of Flying Daggers
A Knight's Tale
The Last Waltz
Resident Evil Apocalypse
XXX

Out of all of those movies, the only one I have the least bit of interest in is House of Flying Daggers, but I don't have enough interest in it to actually buy it.

Samsung's Blu-ray burners for computers will supposedly come out earlier, in April:

Blu-ray Mac mini, iMac, and MacBook Pro in Q4 2006?

hickey
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 03:52 PM

did they list the price of the players/burners?

So does this settle the Blu-ray/HD-DVD war, is there a lot more to come?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 04:02 PM

The Samsung BD-P1000 is probably gonna be about US$1000. Ouch, but not unexpected.

Dunno the price of the computer burners.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 05:20 PM

so there's still no official launch day for HD-DVD, right? I thought it was going to be around the same time, though. The advantage (at least at the outset) is that HD-DVD players are (supposedly) going to be available for $500, which could make the difference for some early adopters when both have a relatively limited catalog. I'm sure eventually the BR catalog will eclipse HD-DVD and they'll fall out of popularity, or we'll end up with a situation similar to HD Audio, where neither SACD or DVD-A have died (although neither one is exactly alive) but many players will play either one.

"I start fires!"

ICD2k3
Mar 1, 2006, 05:23 PM

speaking of blu-ray, I can't wait for the PS3
15" 1.33 Powerbook - 1.25 RAM - 100GB Seagate 5400

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2006, 05:37 PM

Yeah, this is a very different situation from the DVD launch. Then, there was one format (not counting the evil Divx), and it was firmly established once the PS2 launched. The PS2 helped DVD perhaps, but IMO DVD helped the PS2 than the other way around.

In contrast, I think the launch of the PS3 will greatly help the cause for Blu-ray.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2006, 09:39 PM

No plans at this point to go out and purchase a new DVD Player. By waiting the prices will come down.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 11:27 PM

I actually couldn't care less about a player for my teevee, but I'd sure like to stick a BD burner in my iMac G5 (20", 2.0 GHz, which apparently is an easy model to get into). I'd buy a 5-pack of rewritables and actually get conscientious about backing up my ish.

Is it safe to assume that once Apple ships a Mac with a slot-load Blu-ray drive, I can shove the same model in my iMac and have it Just Work?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I actually couldn't care less about a player for my teevee, but I'd sure like to stick a BD burner in my iMac G5 (20", 2.0 GHz, which apparently is an easy model to get into). I'd buy a 5-pack of rewritables and actually get conscientious about backing up my ish.

Is it safe to assume that once Apple ships a Mac with a slot-load Blu-ray drive, I can shove the same model in my iMac and have it Just Work?
It is not. Apple uses many different drives of differing sizes. Even if it's small enough to fit, the fitting bracket may not work, and the connectors may not be compatible either.

A nice external Firewire Blu-ray drive would work just fine though. I use an external DVD drive with my iMac, for region free stuff.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
A nice external Firewire Blu-ray drive would work just fine though. I use an external DVD drive with my iMac, for region free stuff.
Yeah, but you seem like you're capable of keeping your desk free of big piles of junk. With me, the more stuff that's part of the iMac, the less I have to worry about unearthing for use .

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
so there's still no official launch day for HD-DVD, right? I thought it was going to be around the same time, though. The advantage (at least at the outset) is that HD-DVD players are (supposedly) going to be available for $500, which could make the difference for some early adopters when both have a relatively limited catalog. I'm sure eventually the BR catalog will eclipse HD-DVD and they'll fall out of popularity, or we'll end up with a situation similar to HD Audio, where neither SACD or DVD-A have died (although neither one is exactly alive) but many players will play either one.
Toshiba has announced laptops with HD-DVD drives. One even has an HDMI output. They are to be released in April.

Toshiba Satellite M100: 14" 5.2 lb laptop with HD-DVD (US$1034)

Toshiba Qosmio G30: 17" laptop with HD-DVD and HDMI port (US$2400)

Now, the 17" is a monster (with a monster remote), but the 14" one above bodes well for MacBook Pros I think. If HD-DVD laptops can be relatively inexpensive, then I'm guessing that the addition of a Blu-ray drive to a MacBook Pro won't make things too expensive. I'm definitely waitiing for a Blu-ray enabled MacBook Pro 13", hopefully with HDCP support. If the version A Intel 13" doesn't have Blu-ray, I'm just going to hold on to my iBook a little while longer.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 8, 2006 at 11:47 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 12:01 PM

Blu-ray player and movies will be released on May 23:
WTF ? Looks so 1990s.

Edit: Again: WTF ? WTF ? WTF ? WTF ?

This is s o fugly. What were they thinking.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Mar 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM. )

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 12:02 PM

What exactly will all of this mean? Extra long crystal clear movies? How much space would a regular HD movie take up on a disk?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
What exactly will all of this mean? Extra long crystal clear movies? How much space would a regular HD movie take up on a disk?
It means you get HD quality on disks. HD looks 5 times better than DVD's, it is a HUGE difference.

Not sure of the space as it depends on the compression they use.

"Barwaraaawww"

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
That depends on the compression. Broadcast quality MPEG2 HD requires about 8 gigabytes per hour (at around 18 megabits). DVDs tend to be higher quality than broadcast signals, though, so I would guess that, if they use MPEG2 on next-gen DVDs, it will be 25-30mbits (or, at least, that's what I'm hoping, because I don't think 18mbits is sufficient for HD).

However, there's also H.264 (and Microsoft's equivalent) which is what Apple uses for their HD movie trailers. With that, you can get DVD-quality HD (even 1080p) in around 10.6mbits. If this were used, a 2-hour movie would require only about 10GB, leaving the rest of the disc for all of the pointless special features that they cram onto DVDs today.

"I start fires!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 01:23 PM

Yep. You can easily get a very good quality 90 minute HD 1080i movie on a 8.5 GB dual-layer DVD using H.264. So, HD-DVD's single-layer 15 GB discs are more than sufficient for 2.5 hour HD movies.

Single-layer HD-DVD is not sufficient for long MPEG2 HD movies though, so that's where the benefit of Blu-ray or dual-layer HD-DVD comes in.

My guess is that most initial movie Blu-ray releases will be MPEG2.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2006, 05:17 PM

Blank Blu-ray discs to ship this month.

2X (72 Mbps)
Single-layer (25 GB)
Anti-scratch, anti-static coating

BD-R: €25
BD-RE: €30

In the meantime, LG is going to be making hybrid Blu-ray/HD-DVD players, instead of just Blu-ray.

LG Electronics is considering developing a dual-format player for both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs and has dropped the BD199 Blu-ray player from its spring release lineup, according to a memo sent to LG's dealers from consumer electronics sales VP Bob Perry.

The memo states that the dual-format player is planned for late summer/early fall, and came about as a result of the uncertainty of the looming next-gen DVD format battle. "In light of uncertainty in this early stage of the market for pre-recorded high-definition optical discs, we have decided not to introduce the BD199 as originally planned for this spring," it says.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2006, 05:53 PM

Blank Blu-ray discs to ship this month.
That gives Microsoft a week to come out with the BD+R so everyone will have to buy a new burner again.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 06:38 PM

And don't forget the BD-RAM format.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 07:01 PM

Wow! Maybe blu-ray runs off the Guinness nitrogen widget! That's the same day the patent expires!
And I have an HDTV, but there's no way I'm paying $25-50 for a movie. I'll pay $20 for a movie that I really want to see and keep, IF some girl I'm dating at the time hasn't seen it and really wants to. Otherwise I wait until the price comes down. I have over 300 DVDs that I'm NOT rebuying because DVD's look good enough upconverted and I'm not putting out that kind of money again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules