Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Round of Shipping MacBooks thread

New Round of Shipping MacBooks thread
rmansfield
Sep 19, 2006, 09:19 AM

It seems that there are quite a few folks like myself who have had their MacBook orders MOVED to Sept 21 or 22 at the earliest from an original shipping date of a week or two earlier.

This can mean at least one or two of three things:
(1) VERY LIKELY: Apple has caught the random shutdown problem and halted/slowed production in order to address it.
(2) ALSO VERY LIKELY: Apple was simply behind because of the back-to-school rush.
(3) MUCH LESS LIKELY BUT CERTAINLY NOT IMPOSSIBLE: The processors are getting an upgrade to the Core 2 Duo.

So, what I'm asking here is that for the folks like me who got their orders pushed back to the end of this week or next to let us know when your MacBook is finally shipping AND alert us to any change that has been made to the set configuration (such as processor) when it finally arrives.

Back in 1998, I waited two months for my first Mac, a WallStreet PowerBook. I had ordered the midrange 13" screen with 292 mhz processor. In the wait, it got bumped up to a 14" screen and 300 mhz processor (the "Wallstreet II"), and my price was even lowered. So these things certainly CAN happen.

However, having said that, I really think the delay is simply from the first two factors that I listed above.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 10:00 AM

couldnt another reason be because they are just behind on production?

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy
couldnt another reason be because they are just behind on production?
I think that falls in line with my #2 reason.

And that's actually the official reason that I've heard, although #1 cannot be incorrect based on recent events.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 10:10 AM

oh wow.. i had a brain fart. sorry

daijhin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 10:40 AM

i just got myself bitten by the mac bug and i am feeling feverish already.

i have a question and need some information. pls help.

1) how long has this macbook been out on the streets?
2) how long is the lifespan of the ibook before macbook came out?

my take will be that apple will come out with duo2core for macbook by early next year.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by daijhin
1) how long has this macbook been out on the streets?
It was introduced on May 16 and shipped immediately after. First production units are dated week 18 IIRC.

2) how long is the lifespan of the ibook before macbook came out?
The iBook was first introduced July 21, 1999 (MWNY). That was the clamshell model. The first white models ("iBook Dual USB" were introduced May 1, 2001. The iBook G4 was launched Oct 23, 2003. The last iB update was on July 26, 2005.

IBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 11:07 AM

the mac bug is an epidemic... once one person in a group gets one... everyone else soon follows suit.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 19, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy
the mac bug is an epidemic... once one person in a group gets one... everyone else soon follows suit.
It's still out there but Apple is now aware of it. That's the difference. I ordered my MacBook on the 8th and it was supposed to ship on the 13th. Then it got moved back to the 22nd. A number of others have reported their orders suddenly getting pushed back.

It would certainly be to Apple's disadvantage to knowingly ship faulty MacBooks. My hunch is that production was temporarily ceased to address the issue.

Now that Apple is aware of the issue, I feel perfectly safe ordering a MacBook from the Apple Store, but for the one who just walks in and buys one off the shelf, well...let the buyer beware.

Rab Mush
Sep 19, 2006, 01:31 PM

I bought one from Nebraska Furnature Mart a few days ago, and they're saying that the "new shipments" will arrive on the 30th.

>_>

^_^

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 19, 2006, 03:07 PM

I'm going to agree that the long shipping dates is due to Apple addressing the issues with the current MacBook models. I do believe they will be getting C2D soon, which is why I'm trying to hold out on ordering mine.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 20, 2006, 06:05 AM

SHIPPED!!

Well, after initially delaying the shipment of my new black MacBook back to the 22nd, I was surprised when checking my email this morning to see that my MacBook has shipped from China two days early. Underpromise and overdeliver, no doubt.

My original order was placed on Sept. 8.

Anyway, it looks like I might have it by the weekend (I paid the extra fee for 2-day shipping). If there are any changes to it, I'll let everyone know.

spblat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 03:41 PM

My BTO MacBook was ordered through PC Connection 8/25. Still waiting. Will report when I get it. Hopefully all three factors will turn out to be correct!

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 12:18 PM

yeah, my blackbook also just shipped yesterday from china, 2 days early... i didn't pay for 2 day though, so don't expect it for another week. but still, happy it's on it's way, even without core 2 duo.

i've got my 2 gigs of ram and 120gig 5400 rpm drive ready to upgrade it right out of the box! =)

john

Originally Posted by rmansfield
SHIPPED!!

Well, after initially delaying the shipment of my new black MacBook back to the 22nd, I was surprised when checking my email this morning to see that my MacBook has shipped from China two days early. Underpromise and overdeliver, no doubt.

My original order was placed on Sept. 8.

Anyway, it looks like I might have it by the weekend (I paid the extra fee for 2-day shipping). If there are any changes to it, I'll let everyone know.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 21, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by jksu
i've got my 2 gigs of ram and 120gig 5400 rpm drive ready to upgrade it right out of the box! =)
You're smarter than me--I paid for Apple to add the ram and hard drive.

I just checked my tracking results--still nothing since FedEx picked it up in China. I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 02:00 PM

nah, i'm just cheaper/poorer. i was tempted to just pay the $180 (edu discount) for the 120gig, but i figure at least if i buy my own i can pick the brand/model. the seagate cost $150 so it wasn't a huge cost savings although i guess i'll have a spare 80gig drive to use/sell.

ram is definitely pricey... i splurged and got two 1 gig sticks.

john

You're smarter than me--I paid for Apple to add the ram and hard drive.

I just checked my tracking results--still nothing since FedEx picked it up in China. I'm hoping it will get here tomorrow.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 21, 2006, 02:08 PM

I think if I were adding my own hard drive (and I may still actually do that eventually), I'd add the 160 gb drive. I've seen it for a little over $200.

The good thing is that the MacBooks make it easy for a drive to be swapped out. About time Apple gave us that option for ourselves.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 02:35 PM

i vote for No. 2
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 21, 2006, 02:40 PM

Well, if we're voting, I'm going to vote for #1 because I REALLY hope they've caught the random shutdown problem.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 03:01 PM

yeah i was considering the hitachi 160gig (<$200 at newegg) but supposedly it's noiser... anyways, it's definitely a nice big drive.

john

I think if I were adding my own hard drive (and I may still actually do that eventually), I'd add the 160 gb drive. I've seen it for a little over $200.

The good thing is that the MacBooks make it easy for a drive to be swapped out. About time Apple gave us that option for ourselves.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2006, 03:09 PM

I doubt they are upgradingto core 2 duo this early. If anything gets upgraded it will be the Macbook Pro. It was released before the Macbook.

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 03:15 PM

Core 2 Duo early? Hardly. Other companies are starting to ship with them already. Apple is going to be LATE if they take any longer.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

mmusial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 04:05 PM

I ordered my black macbook on Aug. 18th, its now Sept 21st. Still not here!! I can't really find out where it is or even if its been shipped, because I ordered it from a reseller store and they have to deal with apple or at least thats what apple told me.

Later.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 21, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by mmusial
I ordered my black macbook on Aug. 18th, its now Sept 21st. Still not here!! I can't really find out where it is or even if its been shipped, because I ordered it from a reseller store and they have to deal with apple or at least thats what apple told me.
That's bizarre, mmusial. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered mine on Sept 8 from the Apple Store. It was originally scheduled to ship on the 13, but got pushed back to the 22, and actually shipped yesterday (the 20th). I paid for 2-day shipping, but since it's coming from China, I realize that I might not get it until Monday.

mmusial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 06:05 PM

I am also in Canada, so this may also be the problem. The reseller that I bought it off of said that there isn't any in Canada at all, he said that there was supposed to be a shipment arriving in Toronto last week but it never showed up.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 21, 2006, 06:33 PM

Well, mine's now in Anchorage.

So the question is, can FedEx get my MacBook from Alaska to Kentucky by tomorrow or will I have to wait until Monday?

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 22, 2006, 09:57 AM

Good news. It's on the truck for delivery. Hopefully a morning delivery, and not an afternoon delivery, but either way, it should be here today!

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 22, 2006, 09:53 PM

New MacBook arrived this morning. Thanks to migration assistant, I was up and running in about an hour and a half. I'm very impressed with the speed on this machine compared to my older PowerBook.

Rodman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 10:02 PM

Tell us what it has for a CPU when you get it. I ordered mine 9/15 in the evening and was scheduled for ship out on Sept 26 and receipt on October 4th. Today I recieved a message that it shipped and FedEX has a track that it was picked up at 7:48pm on the 22nd. The suspense on the processor is driving me crazy. If Apple announces the Merom chip, I believe it will be ALL laptops since their laptops all fall within the price range that the other manufacturers include that CPU AND Apple must stay competitive in the market - especially to win over the winbook crowd. I have been a mac "head" for years and although Apple could take their time realeasing slowly, I do not think the market is that way anymore. If windows laptops are including core 2 duo then Apple must as well. Sideline features are one thing but root elements like processors, HDD, screens, etc. are critical. Look what Apple just did. They upgraded the entry level desktops with Core 2 Duo. Intel recommended to all manufacturers that they upgrade entry level desk/laps first with the first wave of chips. The ONLY stressful issue for consumers is WHEN Apple will begin shipping these new systems. Apple has done fantastic all 3 quarters of this year. What a boost for the 4th quarter if they announced merom laptops next week!

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2006, 10:02 PM

i got my macbook replaced again tonight, this ones week 38. what week i yours rmansfield? i had a bootable backup don before i had it replaced so i t home, restored it to the new one and it was like i never got it replaced.

mmusial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 07:32 PM

Still no MacBook for me, but the are apparently giving them away to students.

YouTube - 700+ MacBooks and Bags Ready to go Out!

I'm not impressed, Apple is deffently not making the switch from a PC to a Mac easy!

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 24, 2006, 08:02 PM

Karpfish, how do you determine the week?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 02:40 AM

Karpfish, how do you determine the week?
Serial number = 4H6xy...

4H is the factory code.
6 = 2006 is the production year.
xy is the production week.

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 26, 2006, 11:16 AM

Mine's 38 then.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 11:51 AM

got mine yesterday...orig estimated arrival 10/2 so getting it 9/25 was nice. macbook, black, 2ghz core duo (not c2d). week 38.

seems very solid, no random shutdowns so far. very speedy compared to the powerpc mac mini i had before. ram and hd upgrade went easily.

john

Originally Posted by Karpfish
i got my macbook replaced again tonight, this ones week 38. what week i yours rmansfield? i had a bootable backup don before i had it replaced so i t home, restored it to the new one and it was like i never got it replaced.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 11:53 AM

New MacBook arrived this morning. Thanks to migration assistant, I was up and running in about an hour and a half. I'm very impressed with the speed on this machine compared to my older PowerBook.
How much "older" is your PowerBook? I have a 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook, and I was thinking of getting either a black MacBook soon (next week) or saving and getting a MacBook Pro. I have a 20" Cinema Display that I use, and I'm a little concerned about the graphics card on the MacBook.

Any thoughts?
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 26, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by cwosigns
How much "older" is your PowerBook? I have a 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook, and I was thinking of getting either a black MacBook soon (next week) or saving and getting a MacBook Pro. I have a 20" Cinema Display that I use, and I'm a little concerned about the graphics card on the MacBook.

Any thoughts?
My PowerBook was bought early in 2005--it was a 17" 1.67 ghz G4 with 1.5 gb RAM. I was primarily wanting something smaller to tote around, but a very welcomed serendipity to this whole process is that the MacBook is MUCH faster than the PowerBook was. I finally feel that the OS is at the same level of responsiveness OS 9 was before we dumped it for the slower, but more powerful OS X a few years back. If this is the benefit of the Intel processors, I really wish they had done this years ago.

The graphics issue was a hesitancy for me, too. But I'm not going to play games on this machine or use the pro apps (Aperture, Final Cut Pro, etc.). So, I think for everything else it's fine. I'm also amazed at how fast Parallels is compared to VirtualPC (which I had been using since v. 2). I'm very pleased with the upgrade.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 03:23 PM

the programs updated to take advantage of intel really run fast (all the apple, itunes/photo, etc) are really great on the macbook.

not sure if other programs you'll notice quite as much of a bump if you have a >1.5ghz g4 with plenty of ram.

john

Originally Posted by cwosigns

Any thoughts?

mmusial
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 09:35 AM

Finally it has shipped and left China this morning, any idea how long it takes to ship from China to North America?

rmansfield  (op)
Sep 27, 2006, 10:17 AM

Finally it has shipped and left China this morning, any idea how long it takes to ship from China to North America?
I paid for two-day shipping on mine. I don't know how much that affected the actual movement from China to the U.S., but my MacBook was in China on Sept 20, in Alaska on the 21st, and in my hands on the 22nd.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 03:05 PM

mine made it in 4 days from china to los angeles, and i opted for free shipping.
john

Forum Links
Forum Rules