Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dirty screens!?

Dirty screens!?
Clive
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2007, 06:52 PM

A week or so ago I took a MacBook Pro into an Apple retail outlet for repair - the screen had quite a bit of dust/fluff on the *inside*. The "genius" didn't argue with me about it, but gave me some line that "we'll fix it this time, but we won't do it again". As if I'd been abusing the machine.

I took exception to this and told him that the machine wasn't used very much, I'd had several laptops from Apple in the last 10-12 years and none of them had dirt inside the screen, and to prove the point I pulled out my four year old 12" PowerBook and showed him. At this point he kind of backed off, which didn't matter much as they'd agreed to fix it (under warranty).

Today I went to collect the machine. I wasn't impressed at all.

They have replaced the entire screen/lid, because these are a sealed unit, but the new screen not only had some dirt/dust inside the screen, but it also had three dead pixels. This screen was physically in worse condition than the one it replaced.

Two people looked at it and agreed there were (at least) three dead pixels, and that there was dirt/dust inside the screen. They started giving me "Apple policy is that this is acceptable...".

That obviously didn't go very far when I told them that I wasn't signing for it, I wasn't taking it away, and that this was now worse than when they had started (the way I see it is that dirt/dust may move and no longer be an issue, or, if I were really determined, I could pull the thing apart and get the dust out - I can't fix a dead pixel).

They agreed to fix the thing, again, pointing out that the replacement screen could have the same issues because they come as a sealed unit.

I've seen other people report that they have seen debris behind the screen, but it seems that Apple has a serious manufacturing problem if these things are coming out of the factory with dust trapped in the screen assembly.

The whole point of getting the repair done is to make the thing better, not worse - this whole process seems like a waste of time.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2007, 01:43 AM

that is unacceptable... I didn't know apple would use a screen with dead pixels again.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 12, 2007, 03:16 AM

Sorry to hear that. At least Apple (though begrudgingly) has taken it back for yet another repair.

On a related note, my 2 year old Powerbook has a piece of hair inside the display. How this happened, I have no idea, but it's there. The Genius said that it would be covered by my Applecare however. Hopefully I won't have the same issues as you did.

Good luck!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2007, 11:57 AM

There is obviously some fault in design/manufacturing with these units, they should be sealed so there is no way dust/debris can get in there.

Anyway, quick service this time, the tech rang to say the machine is fixed already (less than 24 hours!?). Let's see what happens when I pick it up.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2007, 01:50 PM

Went to pick up machine to today, the replacement screen has at least one dead pixel (perhaps as many as four – hard to distinguish between the dust and dead pixels), and yes, dust/dirt inside the screen, again!?

I told the "genius" I wasn't signing for it. He took it away, came back and said the "tech" wouldn't replace the screen again, because it was "acceptable" quality. Then he told me to take it back where I bought it from and ask for a refund(!?).

Anyway, I left it there. What to do next!?

zign
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 02:44 AM

I had the exact same problem/situation with my 2.0Ghz MBP. I took it to Regents Street Store and the screen was replaced in 24 hours. I then had my MBP for 2 days when a weird line appeared across the screen, so I made an appointment for 8 in the morning, took it in and it was repaired the same afternoon. When I went to pick it up, it turned out that the machine wouldn't go to sleep. The genius told me that it was badly put together and probably the logic board was damaged during the repair. I left it at the Apple Store. It was going to take up to 5 days this time as they didn't have any screens in stock. I was a bit frustrated and wrote an email to Apple public relations director. 2 days later I received a call from Apple and was told that they decided to replace my MBP with a new one and it was ready for pick with all the data transferred. So in the end I got upgraded to 2.33 Ghz, 120 Gb HD, 256Mb VRAM, 2Gb RAM. I was actually quite happy with the service, as I got upgraded just before my 1 year warranty expired
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2007, 11:49 AM

I was thinking we'd try to escalate the issue, I'm definitely not happy with the dirt/dust inside the *new* screen - but I can't see them giving us a brand new machine.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2007, 02:00 PM

store manager.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2007, 07:55 PM

Yeah.. keep going up the chain of command until you get someone who agrees with you that this is unacceptable. Good luck!
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

kgarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 05:11 PM

I also have similar problem. I took my 15" MacBook Pro in for a few repairs as the warranty was about to end. Among the problems, a hair in the screen. I don't know exactly how the LCD is put together, but it appears to be between the backlight and the crystals. I say this because it has a 3D like effect looking like the hair is behind the image.

The genius said that they would try to get it out, but a new screen would not be covered under warranty. They said they would call me with a quote if they couldn't get it, but never did. I assume they never tried. I was just happy they fixed the other problems, mainly a fan that sounded like it had baseball cards in its spokes. One of these days I'll pull off the bezel and see if I can get to it.

But no dust or dead pixels for me

jacob0719
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2007, 05:11 PM

I also have a MacBook Pro with some dirt behind the screen. I have thought of taking it in to be repaired, but can't live without it for a few days. After hearing your experience, I'm thinking I made the right choice. If any other issues arise which force me to send in my laptop, I think then I will bring up this issue.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2007, 08:34 PM

Are you guys talking about the "grainy" screens that all 15" MBPs seem to have, or is this dirt a different issue?

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by KP* View Post
Are you guys talking about the "grainy" screens that all 15" MBPs seem to have, or is this dirt a different issue?
No, it's really "dirt" to my eyes. What I see looks like dirt/dust specs on the surface of the screen - but you can’t wipe it off, it's somewhere between the backlight and the pixels.

The grain is there too, a slight "dazzle" effect where colours aren't quite even across an area - but that's a different thing, and I understand that is an interaction between the screen resolution and the anti-glare treatment of the screen.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2007, 03:16 AM

My MBP 15" (glossy) has the grainy issue but it also has a scratch in the screen (or long thin mark?) which has been there since day one but I haven't taken it back as I'd rather put up with it than chance getting a replacement that is worse than my current screen.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2007, 01:05 PM

Perhaps I'll take a look at the MBPs in the Apple Store in Regent Street to see what they look like, collectively.

Scott_R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 01:10 PM

Any pictures?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2007, 10:38 AM

i say store manager because i got semi-crappy service and the store manager took over and gave me a brand new laptop to make up for the crappy service...
this was after i pointed out how much they were spending on repairs for my unit.
in any event i think that is the way to go.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Scott_R View Post
Any pictures?
No, we didn't photograph the original screen, and the replacement is still at the Apple Store while we're working out what to do.

I think it's likely that it's one of those things you just can't photograph (at least with a mid range digital camera).

hbr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 11:06 AM

Hi Everyone - my first post on this forum!
I also have a dirty screen which I noticed today - about 6 cm down from the isight - so almost in my line of normal viewing, and I also discovered a burst pixel. I have the MBP core duo (1) and am also experiencing system crashes and very slow usb speeds on all ports. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I should do - I cant get home for another 3/4 weeks in order to get it sorted. It is also exam season and all my notes are on my Mac. Great time for this to happen!
Tried to clean screen with Klear Screen and Iklear solution and cloth 'as used by the guys at apple', but no avail. Def between pixels and backlight.
Do you think Apple will accept that I cannot do anything about the problem immediately, as I know we are obliged to notify them of probs within 7 days of them happening?
Would there be a chance of a straight swap from Apple as then I can get back to revision?
I am covered by AppleCare, and bought the Mac on 26th september 2006.
how do i post pictures of the dirt on here - then you can see it for real scottr?!!

Thanks, HBR.
( Last edited by hbr; Apr 28, 2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add picture details.)

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2007, 11:25 AM

Here’s the latest in the saga. Last night we went into the Apple shop on Regent Street, looked at the “repaired” MBP and agreed with the “genius” that there was dirt/debris within the screen assembly. He went to get the manager, and the manager agreed too. Wow!

So, the manager says “Put another screen in it and show it to me before you call the customer to say it is fixed” and “There seems to be an issue with the screens here, so we should raise an alert on it” (which is what I’ve been telling them for a month).

Which means that this MBP is just about to get its fourth screen, and I might get it back in a week or so. Or perhaps not!?

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by hbr View Post
I also have a dirty screen which I noticed today... and I also discovered a burst pixel... I cant get home for another 3/4 weeks in order to get it sorted. It is also exam season and all my notes are on my Mac. Great time for this to happen!... Would there be a chance of a straight swap from Apple as then I can get back to revision?
If the Mac is usable I wouldn’t bother taking it in for repair until after your exams. I think it's unlikely that they will just swap it for another machine just like that. The USB/system crashes (do you mean kernel panics where you see the restart message on screen?) are probably due to some system corruption - try reinstalling the system.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2007, 01:17 PM

Finally, after (at least three replacement screens) the MBP is home. The last run of repairs took nearly four weeks, so I reckon they must have tried at least another couple of screens that I didn't get to see (they were checking them before calling to say it was repaired).

The thing that has really upset me on this is the amount of time it took to sort out. I think it actually initially went in for repair on 30 March - and we got it back yesterday. That's exactly eight weeks in total!?

Now we have no dust in the screen and no dead pixels. Hope it lasts.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2007, 11:19 AM

Unbelievable but true - we've had the thing back less than 48 hours, maybe used it for three hours, aned it just died completely. Won't start, won't do anything.

Power in the battery. So, I guess it's another trip up to Regent Street...

zign
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Unbelievable but true - we've had the thing back less than 48 hours, maybe used it for three hours, aned it just died completely. Won't start, won't do anything.

Power in the battery. So, I guess it's another trip up to Regent Street...
Tell them you want a replacement as they obviously damaged something during the repair. I had the same problem after my screen was replaced at Regents Street. I had it replaced 2 time within 5 days and on the second time they damaged the logic board. I wrote a letter to public relations director suggesting to them to replace the mbp describing the issues and the final repair result. i am not sure if it was the letter, but I got a call from Apple 2 days later and was told that they decided to give me a new mbp and it was waiting for me at the regents street store with all the data already transferred from the old one.
15.4 MBP 2.33Ghz C2D, 3Gb, 120Gb HD, 256MB X1600, 10.5.1
iPhone 8GB
http://palitsyn.com

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2007, 11:02 AM

Well, I've sent them a whiney email, let's see what happens.

furio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2007, 09:57 PM

Wow. I have this same exact problem. I took it to the Genius and he told me they would repair it but would have to send it in. I told them I want to do it at a later date because this is my daily machine. I bought my MB C2D 2.33 in January so I still have some time.

The dirt beneath the screen can be better seen with a light colored wallpaper. It can be seen along the right, bottom and left edges of LCD. In the past I always thought it was just dust but when I wipe my screen it's still there.

t500
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2007, 01:36 PM

My screen has a 3 inch long white cloud in the middle of the screen that is about a 1/2 inch thick. You can only see it when the desktop or window is black. I'm using a 1st gen MBP Core duo. Does this sound anything like what you are experiencing?

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2007, 09:47 AM

Clive thats just bad karma mate!

I imagine that you would qualify for a new machine by this stage? But that means you would be getting a different screen after this fiasco. So maybe persisting with the repair would be the way to go. You have the screen fixed to your liking im sure they can repir the other bits

or perhaps a new, just updated mbp line would whet your appetite?

I hope the tech ppl dont get sick of looking at your machine and get sloppy and end up scratching your machine... just look out for that. I know a few ppl had that happen. Several repairs and the last few had some scratches on the box.

good luck

rob.

matteo_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2007, 11:21 AM

I took my MBP into the Southampton store in the UK as it had a problem with shutdowns and was told if I wanted to get the dirt out from under the screen I would have to pay!!!

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by t500 View Post
My screen has a 3 inch long white cloud in the middle of the screen that is about a 1/2 inch thick. You can only see it when the desktop or window is black. I'm using a 1st gen MBP Core duo. Does this sound anything like what you are experiencing?
No, yours sounds like something on the surface of the screen, what were seeing is actually inside the screen.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix78 View Post
I imagine that you would qualify for a new machine by this stage?
Apparently we’re going to get a new machine! But no one seems to be able to say who is sorting it out. Corporate HQ in Cork says go in and pick up your new machine at Regent Street – complete with data transfer. Upon visiting Regent Street they say that Cork is supposed to be sorting it out!?

Sometimes I really wonder how Apple makes any money.
( Last edited by Clive; Jun 11, 2007 at 10:44 AM. )

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by matteo_man View Post
I took my MBP into the Southampton store in the UK as it had a problem with shutdowns and was told if I wanted to get the dirt out from under the screen I would have to pay!!!
If it's still under warranty then insist that they fix it. This is a product fault, not a result of abuse or being kept in a dusty environment.

I've had PowerBooks for 12 years or more, and I've never seen anything like this previously. When they first started giving me a bit of hassle about it in the Apple shop at Regent Street I pulled out my four year old 12" - "Show me the dust in this then!".

Fact is, this seems to be a problem isolated to these MBP models - it doesn't occur in earlier PowerBooks, I've never seen (or heard of) it happening even in the previous model 15" PowerBooks which have almost identical cases.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by t500 View Post
Actually that sounds like the infamous white spots on the 1st gen 15" aluminum Powerbooks, but I haven't heard of any other model ever having them, except maybe as a result of accidental damage. They are caused by the internal mounting of the screen pressing against the screen itself. I always feel they're more noticeable against white, though. Against black they look more like a smudge on the outside of the screen, against white they look like clouds. Maybe what you have is something different. I feel very lucky that my new MBP is so far free from screen defects.

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2007, 12:30 PM

Unbelievable, but true, today we finally received the new MacBook Pro - nearly three months after we took the old one in for repair. I don't really feel well compensated that we've now got a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo with the LED lit screen, over a 1.8GHz Core Duo – but at least it’s back!

Scott_R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2007, 03:37 PM

You don't feel "really feel well compensated" by getting an upgrade to a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo with the LED screen over a 1.8GHz Core Duo??? Tell me that's a joke!!

Clive  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_R View Post
Tell me that's a joke!!
Well, I bought a base model a year ago, and I got a base model today. In the mean time I've been without a machine for three months and I've been up to the Apple shop in Regents street eight or ten times to try to get it sorted out and spent *hours* on the phone.

Am I getting a bargain? I don’t think so. I think I’m just getting what I paid for, and no compensation for the amount of grief they’ve caused me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules