Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pure evil

Pure evil
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 12:57 PM

Made a Thai chicken soup tonight. Very nice, lemongrass, pieces grilled chicken that had been marinated in rice wine and soy sauce beforehand, garlic, fishsauce, a bit of chilli, really nice chicken stock

Then, at the table I made a mistake. "Hmmm" I said, "this could do with some more heat. Where's that new brand of authentic North African Harrissa I've bought yesterday? I bet it works really well."

It took me 2 bottles of beer and five minutes of helpless coughing to dampen the fire caused by a lentil sized drop of this stuff. Beware. Bewaaaaaaare.

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: Mastrap ]

WildZero
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2002, 01:25 PM

Heh, I'll have to try that sometime. I love cooking with spicy food.
Your story reminds me of the last time I cooked with a very spicy Jamaican pepper.
The smell from cutting it burned the inside of my nose. I accidentialy wiped my eye afterwards and forgot to wash my hands first. The residue hurt like hell.
Worth it - Damn Tastey

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: WildZero ]
<a href="http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/horror/wild_zero.html" target="_blank">
UFOs, Zombies, Guns, Love, and Rock & Roll!!!
</a>

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 25, 2002, 01:45 PM

The beer wouldn't have helped much, it's better to drink milk and/or eat bread to absorb the oils. I like spicy food, I just refuse to make it to the point of pain like some nutso friends of mine; I want to taste the food to, ya know!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by WildZero:
<STRONG>
I accidentialy wiped my eye afterwards and forgot to wash my hands first. The residue hurt like hell.

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: WildZero ]</STRONG>
Yup - I remember going for a pee without washing my hands first - won't do that again, I can assure you

Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
<STRONG>

Yup - I remember going for a pee without washing my hands first - won't do that again, I can assure you </STRONG>
Oh God. That must of hurt. If only you could see the kringe on my face.

Err... ya.. what is that sushi stuff?? wasabi?? that stuff goes up into your nose, and well it burns, a lot. We have competitions with the stuff though. Who can take the most before they faint, or the paramedics have to resesitate them.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
<STRONG>

Yup - I remember going for a pee without washing my hands first - won't do that again, I can assure you </STRONG>
YIPE!

I'm afraid I can't take spicy foods very well; I describe myself as a spice-wuss. Actually, though, I can deal with -and actually like- dry spices. It's wet spices (like the sauce they use on Buffalo wings) that get me, because that stuff coats.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2002, 03:14 PM

But if you want to really be evil, try replacing someone's pistachio ice cream with wasabi sometime.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

TonyIC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2002, 03:16 PM

One of my favorite things is wasabi covered dried peas. They have a nasty kick and they give you some of the worst breath around. Guarnteed to clean your sinuses everytime.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>But if you want to really be evil, try replacing someone's pistachio ice cream with wasabi sometime.</STRONG>
I nearly didn't get born - on my parent's first date my dad told my mum that a chili in the salad was a bean - she's never seen one before (remember this was long time ago) and took a hearty bite. When she stopped crying she decked my dad to be and run off. Took him weeks to get back into her good books again.

To this day there's two versions of the story in my family. My dad claims he knew it was a chilli and he wanted to wind my mum up. MY mum claims my dad had no idea either but wanted to show off

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by TonyIC:
<STRONG>One of my favorite things is wasabi covered dried peas. They have a nasty kick and they give you some of the worst breath around. Guarnteed to clean your sinuses everytime.</STRONG>

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 25, 2002, 04:32 PM

Such wimps. I've been eating spices since I was born. I'm immune. But if you do get stung then use some science. Drinking cold liquids does little to sooth the burn. The remedy is this, hang your tongue out over a sink and let the saliva drip off until your tongue is dry.

You see, drinking does very little as the spices are still in your saliva and it takes quite a bit of drink to wash the spice out of your mouth. The spices are in the saliva and inflame the taste sensors on your tongue. Thus, drying the mouth out not making it more moist is the solution. It takes ten times less time this way and you don't have to waste more money on drinks to ease the pain.

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>Such wimps. I've been eating spices since I was born. I'm immune. But if you do get stung then use some science. Drinking cold liquids does little to sooth the burn. The remedy is this, hang your tongue out over a sink and let the saliva drip off until your tongue is dry.

You see, drinking does very little as the spices are still in your saliva and it takes quite a bit of drink to wash the spice out of your mouth. The spices are in the saliva and inflame the taste sensors on your tongue. Thus, drying the mouth out not making it more moist is the solution. It takes ten times less time this way and you don't have to waste more money on drinks to ease the pain.</STRONG>

As per usual you're only partly right. The high acidity in Pilsener Beer (they contain a lot of hops) actually manages to break down the oily spice film on your tongue and washes it away.

Get your facts right for once, will you.

Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 05:03 PM

<STRONG>Such wimps. I've been eating spices since I was born. I'm immune. But if you do get stung then use some science. Drinking cold liquids does little to sooth the burn. The remedy is this, hang your tongue out over a sink and let the saliva drip off until your tongue is dry.

You see, drinking does very little as the spices are still in your saliva and it takes quite a bit of drink to wash the spice out of your mouth. The spices are in the saliva and inflame the taste sensors on your tongue. Thus, drying the mouth out not making it more moist is the solution. It takes ten times less time this way and you don't have to waste more money on drinks to ease the pain.</STRONG>
Makes some sense. But once your tongue gets moist again, doesn't it just come all right back...???!!!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 25, 2002, 05:10 PM

<STRONG>The remedy is this, hang your tongue out over a sink and let the saliva drip off until your tongue is dry.
</STRONG>
This visual is killing me. Adam, could you do a photoshop mockup of this procedure?

Tigerabbit
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 05:30 PM

Ever try a haba�ero?
If you put a bullseye on yourself, don't be surprised when someone takes a shot at you.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2002, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Tigerabbit:
<STRONG>Ever try a haba�ero? </STRONG>
I put haba�ero sauce on almost everythingn I cook. I don't really find it that spicy. I haven't had a fresh haba�ero pepper, but I doubt it could hold a candle to a lot of the stuff that I've had (like stuff so hot the FDA doesn't allow them to call it hot sauce, a single drop of which left the roof of my mouth in pain for 2 hours, and then numb for th next 5).

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
May 25, 2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
<STRONG>

This visual is killing me. Adam, could you do a photoshop mockup of this procedure? </STRONG>
It is quite a sight and yes it beats ANY other method. Basically I found this trick out about 12 years ago. I was in an Indian restaurant and an uncle bet me five bucks that I couldn't eat a whole bowl of mint chutney (contains green chilis). So I did indeed eat the whole bowl and then the chili kicked in and it really was burning. My uncle told me the trick and I went to the bathroom and just let the saliva drip. I couldn't believe how fast the burning went away. Then I went back to my table to collect my five bucks and he said 'We didn't shake on it.'

But anyway. I had this Mexican chili at a barbecue in LA two years ago. A Korean grocery store owner challenged me when he heard I could eat any chili. Well, that chili was one mother****er of a burner. I did indeed manage to dry the chili out of my mouth but that doesn't prevent a strong chili from causing indigestion and for the next three days I was stuck on the toilet with dysentry. Imagine. I went to LA to do film business and had to spend the time on the toilet instead!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 09:40 PM

I'm with ReggieX. Dairy cools the heat.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2002, 09:49 PM

i eat pretty hot food, and it doesnt really burn my mouth so much that i cant handle it so much as it makes me hiccup uncontrollably. anyone else have this problem?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2002, 09:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by scaught:
<strong>i eat pretty hot food, and it doesnt really burn my mouth so much that i cant handle it so much as it makes me hiccup uncontrollably. anyone else have this problem?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I do if it's something hot enough to test my limits. It must have been pretty funny to see me staggering through the Mall of America hiccuping uncontrollably with a red face and teary eyes, searching desperately for something to drink.

WildZero
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2002, 09:54 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<strong>I was in an Indian restaurant and an uncle bet me five bucks that I couldn't eat a whole bowl of mint chutney (contains green chilis).
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Aw, you're bringing back memories eating Lamb Vindaloo and barely being able to breathe because it was so hot. Yum.
<a href="http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/reviews/horror/wild_zero.html" target="_blank">
UFOs, Zombies, Guns, Love, and Rock & Roll!!!
</a>

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 25, 2002, 11:14 PM

My father was had a bet with my uncle as to who could eat the most haberneros in five minutes.

You see, my family has an extensive vegetable garden (which I just helped plant todday! YAY!) and about half of the space is devoted to peppers of various tytpes. Last year my mother bought three habererno plants and let them grow.
In one picking, we got... lemme see, about 2 dozen of the strongest natural concentration of capascin in the world.

My uncle beat my father. he had two

Of course his mouth hurt so much he couldn't eat dinner, but hey...
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules