Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Putting a combo drive in a Pismo

Putting a combo drive in a Pismo
TonyIC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2002, 09:48 AM

I am trying to figure out which combo drive to use.

I know most people have used the Matsushita(Panasonic) UJDA710 (8x CD-R/4x CD-RW/ 24x Read). But I am curious if anyone has used a <a href="http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dw-28e.html" target="_blank">Teac DW-28E</a> (8x CD-R/8x CD-RW/ 24x Read). It appears to be the same size, shape, type...

Any comments on compatability (iTunes, DiscBurner, OS X) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 04:49 PM

I'm also looking at the Teac drive since it seems to be very good.

I ordered one already and will hopefully get it soon - then I'll be able to give details.

Meanwhile the following threat on Groups@Google is worth reading. It's in French but AFAIK it states really good results! The orginal Pismo DVD-face-plate doesn't seem to be usable anymore though...

Here comes the link - hope ist works...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...banet.ch#link5

Otherwise do a powersearch on 'dw28-e' with the language set to french...

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 12:23 AM

Hi,

I believe that Teac drive is the same one used in the Smartdisk burner I just bought. It's a slimline/firewire external burner and Toast reports it as Teac CD-DW28E. It's 8x8x24, and it burns really nice. Very quiet, a full CDR data burn averages about 8-9 minutes. It is supposed to support iTunes, but I only use Toast. I would definitely recommend it. It needs High speed media to get the 8x burn. I used Fuji 1x-24x CDR's and Memorex 4x-10x CDRW's with excellent results.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by TonyIC:
I am trying to figure out which combo drive to use.

I know most people have used the Matsushita(Panasonic) UJDA710 (8x CD-R/4x CD-RW/ 24x Read). But I am curious if anyone has used a <a href="http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dw-28e.html" target="_blank">Teac DW-28E</a> (8x CD-R/8x CD-RW/ 24x Read). It appears to be the same size, shape, type...

Any comments on compatability (iTunes, DiscBurner, OS X) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by shunt:
Hi,

I believe that Teac drive is the same one used in the Smartdisk burner I just bought. It's a slimline/firewire external burner and Toast reports it as Teac CD-DW28E.

Hope this helps

So I guess all the usual features work under 10.1.5? How about DVD playback etc.?

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 02:49 AM

Looks like they're not the same exact mechanism after all, even though the model#'s are identical. Still, quality-wise I'm happy with Teac.

I'm hoping someone will put out a similar unit to the Smardisk except dvd-r/-rw. That would be nice, if it was slimline and dedicated firewire.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2002, 11:23 AM

I broke the CD tray on my low-end iBook's CD-ROM drive. I'm considering replacing the drive with a Matsushita (Panasonic) CW-8121 -- the slot-loading 8x Combo drive from the recent TiBooks.

Do any of you here have thoughts about the process and compatibility in terms of connectors? I assume since the iBook's CD-ROM and the slot-load Combo are both made by Matsushita they will be compatible connection-wise. I'm less worried about the face plate since I can just modify the old one with a dremel tool, build my own, or live without one.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 10:58 AM

Here we go:

I just received the Teac DW-28E slimline drive. Installing it was very easy. There's 6 screws that need to be removed, pull out the old drive, put in the new one. The faceplate pretty much fits ok. I will try to install the original one though.

After restarting the computer ASP shows the drive correctly. It also mentions 'Apple Disc Burning:supported'. Toast 5.1.2 recognizes the drive w/o any hassle. I'm doing a backup on CDRW as I'm writing this. DVD playback works fine so far.

The drive 'sounds' much better than my former LG (which started to goof around anyway).

I will test iTunes (ripping + burning) and booting from the drive later!

TonyIC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by STH:
Here we go:

I just received the Teac DW-28E slimline drive. Installing it was very easy. There's 6 screws that need to be removed, pull out the old drive, put in the new one. The faceplate pretty much fits ok. I will try to install the original one though.

After restarting the computer ASP shows the drive correctly. It also mentions 'Apple Disc Burning:supported'. Toast 5.1.2 recognizes the drive w/o any hassle. I'm doing a backup on CDRW as I'm writing this. DVD playback works fine so far.

The drive 'sounds' much better than my former LG (which started to goof around anyway).

I will test iTunes (ripping + burning) and booting from the drive later!
What OS are you using? I have migrated fully to OS X.

Thanks for the update. Please Keep us posted. I just didn't want to be the first one to try.

fakeplasticspence
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 03:14 PM

where did you buy the drive and for how much? my lg drive is I would say kapoot. it just spins and clunks every so often no reading at all. I would like to get a firewire external burner but would miss dvd playback, plus I would miss having the whole internal drive, use it where I want to idea. I would appreciate the help.
childhood is short, maturity is forever

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 03:28 AM

Sorry, I forgot about the OS. I've migrated fully to OS X as well - all testing was done in 10.1.5

Booting from CD works fine by just pressing 'C' (tested with OS X install CD). CD burning works fine with Disk Copy as well. I haven't figured out how to tell iTunes to recognize the drive though. I trashed the preferences (itunes.plist) but it still lists my old external Firewire CDRW. Naturally, it can't find that one anymore.
Any idea on how I can get rid of this setting in iTunes or force a re-scan for supported devices?
Ripping music from CD with iTunes works perfectly by the way.

I bought the drive in Germany through a normal reseller - it costs about EUR 225.- which right now is approx. an equal amount in US-$.

UPDATE: I found some more iTunes-Prefs and trashed them. Now it says 'No supoorted device found...' Oh well... I guess iTunes burning won't work then. But then, I hardly ever used it since I got my iPod. ;-)
( Last edited by STH; Aug 18, 2002 at 04:01 AM. )

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2002, 12:37 PM

Awesome update, thanks....
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

STH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 03:29 AM

I just installed Jaguar by booting from the Teac drive. Worked without a problem.

However, Apple Disk Burning does NOT support the drive in 10.2! I just it from time to time for quickly burning Images...

Toast 5.1.2 still works fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules