Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > American Pride

American Pride
Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 07:38 PM

I made a wallpaper in about 30min to show my feelings for the war, I got the main image from spymac just forgot who posted it, when I find out ill give you credit for posting the image, I hope its nice. If gray isnt your thing, then o well heh. It makes the desktop more usable if its only 1 color (atleast I think so)

www.frontiernet.net/~dannyld/Wallpaper.jpg

http://www.crexor.com/~redwolf/Wallpaper.jpg

Both links work, just incase one goes down. Enjoy

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 20, 2003, 07:48 PM

Pretty tight . Thanks!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 07:57 PM

Not sure whether to take this with seriousness, or sarcasm... America's pride is military aircraft launching missiles?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2003, 08:44 PM

maybe this belongs in the Lounge...

suggested heading:

"america's most shameful moment"...

(sorry, this really does belong in the Lounge...
where it can be supported/attacked/etc)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Algernnon
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 09:20 PM

Just sad. Death is never proud.

I'm with stupid
---->

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 20, 2003, 09:50 PM

How about not turning this into a lounge thread and keeping war related opinions out of the GUI forum? I was commenting strictly on the desktop pic as an object compositional relationship not its interpreted meanings.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

step
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
How about not turning this into a lounge thread and keeping war related opinions out of the GUI forum? I was commenting strictly on the desktop pic as an object compositional relationship not its interpreted meanings.
surely, but every object not only has a physical presence but also a cultural relevance, and together this enables us to comprehend it. to divorce an object from it's context is legitimate as an exercise but jump jets are way cooler than those bolt buckets!

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 21, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by step:
surely, but every object not only has a physical presence but also a cultural relevance, and together this enables us to comprehend it. to divorce an object from it's context is legitimate as an exercise but jump jets are way cooler than those bolt buckets!
Agreed

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 21, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Algernnon:
I agree.

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 03:29 PM

Talking about pride in connection with such an image? Pathetic.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2003, 03:58 PM

.... missiles being fired sure makes me think . . . oh yeah, god surely has blessed america!

leffo
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 04:05 PM

Absolutely horrible.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 22, 2003, 04:12 PM

Make themes - not war...

decursive
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 04:29 PM

i think it's pretty obvious that this is sarcasm/irony. you all need to get some more cynicism. or maybe i should get less.
= decursive =

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 04:45 PM

I completely understand the wallpaper.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2003, 05:08 PM

WORST POST EVER!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2003, 09:36 PM

I think the pictures is great! Just ignore the title and the "god bless" part and its a sweet pic of a F-18(?)
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Jazzphone:
I made a wallpaper in about 30min to show my feelings for the war, I got the main image from spymac just forgot who posted it, when I find out ill give you credit for posting the image, I hope its nice. If gray isnt your thing, then o well heh. It makes the desktop more usable if its only 1 color (atleast I think so)

I'm not sure how to take your post.
Are you proud to be American and have the freedom to post this, without being taken into a public forum and tortured? (Alla: Iraq)

If you are proud, hey great, but I don't believe this is the right place to post this.

I thought I was in the powerbook forum, not the political debate forum.

Since you started the thread, I'll chime in.

The war is the right thing to do.

Why not free those in Iraq? Crush the current powerbase?
They torture and kill enemies of the state in public forums to keep others in line. Acid baths, etc...

Then when we finally win, we can turn to NORTH KOREA and say, ...
Now then... what is this sh&t about nuclear weapons and 1,000,000 people in your slave camps? hmmm?

Korea: < Days are numbered too. and it is only going to take a dirty look from the US for them to wet their pants.

War is a terrible thing, but sometimes you need to administer terrible tasting medicine to cure a terrible illness, and threat to the whole. In this case the civilized world.

Satelite and laser guided missles = enima for tyranical aholes.

Peace out!

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
maybe this belongs in the Lounge...

suggested heading:

"america's most shameful moment"...

(sorry, this really does belong in the Lounge...
where it can be supported/attacked/etc)
What is shameful about it?
I support your right to say such a thing even without anything to support the statement and without reprocutions from the governement for posting this discenting oppinion.

Unfortunately in IRAQ you would be dead in an hour.
If you could afford a satelite dish and could keep it hidden.
Maybe you should go do some research on IRAQ first then spout off that rediculous dribble.

First IRAQ, next North Korea!

I'm for human rights first.
Do the right thing, even if it isn't most "popular" in the world.
That is the USA.
Don't like it?
You are "free" to leave.

Peace out.

Jazzphone  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2003, 10:07 PM

Um, I posted this in the Gui Customization Forum since the Desktop seems to be apart of the GUI and i have seen other wallpapers posted in here. You guys have taken this crap way to far.....People, Are you that secure over yourselves that you have to jump to such stupid conclusions that arent even close to correct then say that Im not proud to be a american. Ok Lets get the things straight. The Title of the post stinks, o well, I wont lose sleep over it, but, The wallpaper and what It means I will stick Stick by. Let me put it into a Picture for your mind to hold a grasp of.

The wallpaper is gray because its war time and its a sad color for the occasion. The Wallpaper features a Fighter Jet shooting a Missile at a ground target it seems. The God Bless America says that I would like God To Bless America in the War time hoping that our trops come back safely.....Back to the fighter jets, American Troops fly these fighter jets, unless I was misinformed .....And Yes they are americans to....So what this wallpaper truely stands for is, God Bless the Troops over in Iraq to come home safely....Thats All it means....I wasnt trying to be saracastic in any kind of way. If you took this as a horrible scene then o well, What Can I tell you. Dont click on the post anymore, but for you to think it is horrible is your on assumption of the work. I think the Mona Lisa is ugly as hell but yet its a priceless work of art, does my opinion make it less in value, not at all.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2003, 10:41 PM

Very nice desktop!

Could you make a 1280x854 version for my PowerBook G4, please?

EDIT: Oh, and if the original was color, could I have that one too? Thanks!

ender2002
Senior User
Mar 23, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Algernnon:
uh, have you ever died before?

theoden
Mar 24, 2003, 12:00 AM

uh, have you ever died before?
I assume he hasn't. You know anyone who has, or could b/c of war or such?

There are a couple people I know overseas, and I'd be anything but proud if they died because of unnecessary violence.

But that's just me.

Nice picture/composition however Jazzphone, good work.

ender2002
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by theoden:
I assume he hasn't. You know anyone who has, or could b/c of war or such?

There are a couple people I know overseas, and I'd be anything but proud if they died because of unnecessary violence.

But that's just me.

Nice picture/composition however Jazzphone, good work.
How could you not have pride in dying for your country. Or better yet, how could you not have pride in dying for a cause.

"unnecessary violence" is debateable. because in that sense, is violence ever necessary? I also think you are confusing violence with war.

theoden
Mar 24, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by ender2002:
How could you not have pride in dying for your country. Or better yet, how could you not have pride in dying for a cause.

"unnecessary violence" is debateable. because in that sense, is violence ever necessary? I also think you are confusing violence with war.
How can violence not be associated with war?
And pride in dying for a cause? Sure, if that's your thing great, go die for your cause, but why inflict pain/suffering upon others in the process?

Don't get me wrong tho - war was inevitable, as was/is bringing Saddam out of power.

But you would think man may have evolved enough to solve problems without blowing each other up? It seems so very childish.

That's just my opinion tho.

(starting to seem less and less like a gui thread... oops )

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2003, 09:26 AM

how could you have pride in dying for such a cause? what is the cause? what�s the reason for attacking irak? if your answer is: fighting against terrorism you�re really naive, sorry... those dying are not dying as heroes, they�re dying as slaves for a vengeful cowboy.

attacking such a small, ruined country is no heroic deed, it�s a confession of weakness. it�s a shame.

// phil

// sorry for getting off-topic.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
What is shameful about it?
I support your right to say such a thing even without anything to support the statement and without reprocutions from the governement for posting this discenting oppinion.

Unfortunately in IRAQ you would be dead in an hour.
If you could afford a satelite dish and could keep it hidden.
Maybe you should go do some research on IRAQ first then spout off that rediculous dribble.

First IRAQ, next North Korea!

I'm for human rights first.
Do the right thing, even if it isn't most "popular" in the world.
That is the USA.
Don't like it?
You are "free" to leave.

Peace out.

gee, i thought i was free to express my viewpoint!
i guess i AM in the wrong country, thought the opinions of the WHOLE WORLD mattered too... *sigh*

still think this belongs in the lounge...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

ender2002
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by p.h..i...l....:
how could you have pride in dying for such a cause? what is the cause? what?s the reason for attacking irak? if your answer is: fighting against terrorism you?re really naive, sorry... those dying are not dying as heroes, they?re dying as slaves for a vengeful cowboy.

attacking such a small, ruined country is no heroic deed, it?s a confession of weakness. it?s a shame.

// phil

// sorry for getting off-topic.
No. This war is not about terrorism. I don't know what would even make you think that in the first place. This war is clearly on Saddam Hussein. The tactical and coordinated US operations are targeted to put an end to Saddam.

Saddam has the power in his arsenal of nuclear and biological weapons to attack the US. With this strike, the US is ending that chance. We have been attacked before, and are simply preventing it from happening in the future.

Also, I find nothing to be ashamed about when the US is liberating a country from devastation and a corrupt dictator.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 24, 2003, 12:57 PM

And where does the aforementioned description indicate anything other than GUI customization discussion goes here.

Yes I realize the war is of GREAT importance to everyone, either for or against but this is not the place for that discussion. So lets try to keep the opinions relevant to GUI topics. Otherwise take it to email or PM's.
[yes im being a mod-wannabe-here]

stew
Senior User
Mar 24, 2003, 01:31 PM

Anyone got a decent picture of the Statue of Liberty? I rather have chicks on my desktop than weapons

Stink different.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by stew:
Anyone got a decent picture of the Statue of Liberty? I rather have chicks on my desktop than weapons
I could think of other "women" non-frenchy that I'd rather have on my desk-top.

I would hope the discussion on the war could just be moved to the Lounge, but I must say, Freedom of speach is a great thing, and I wish it on all the world.

Peace out.

Jazzphone  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2003, 04:52 PM

This topic wasnt suppose to be a topic about war but about the wallpaper i posted, Other people have turned it into a topic about war.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2003, 10:21 PM

Christ, the last goddamn thing we need is yet ANOTHER "God Bless America" wallpaper.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Fallout:
Christ, the last goddamn thing we need is yet ANOTHER "God Bless America" wallpaper.
::: Bump :::

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 25, 2003, 02:33 PM

Jeeesaaaah people. Someone makes a DTP, don't like it? Don't download it.

This isn't a thread for people to belittle others beliefes, and rant about political issues. If you have issues with it, pvt message the guy. I know I don't want to come into the GUI forum and see this crap going on too.

Keep it in the lounge.

Seems the forum is full of Micheal Moore wanna bes.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 25, 2003, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Jeeesaaaah people. Someone makes a DTP, don't like it? Don't download it.

This isn't a thread for people to belittle others beliefes, and rant about political issues. If you have issues with it, pvt message the guy. I know I don't want to come into the GUI forum and see this crap going on too.

Keep it in the lounge.

LOL So true!
I agree with every single word.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 04:39 PM

while i more than agree that this belongs in the lounge...sounds like a political rant of your own...which is cheating, sort of...

oh well

PEACE!

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 07:35 PM

This is even worse...

"The UN continues to stress the US has the authority to attack Iraq"
...but i�ll hold off from commenting

// phil

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by p.h..i...l....:
This is even worse...

...but i?ll hold off from commenting

// phil
It's my signature phil, how is it even worse?

I don't think anyone in here will complain about people having political sigs in the GUI forum. I surely hope not.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 26, 2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by Jazzphone:

BTW, got that in a 1600x1200 size?

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 11:56 AM

I like how you dodged addressing fisherKing, that was slick.

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2003, 04:08 PM

Change the jet into a flag and the missiles into eagles and it might make a little more sense.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 01:12 AM

Damn people he posted some pics with some bad ass jets and YES, the military is America's pride, always has been always will. That doesn't mena we don't have other prides, we have many, the military just happens to be one.

Shameful? Well, I'd ask a few communist nations in 2 world wars and the nations our 'shameful' military saved.

As for the pics, dude, please, mental note, make them at 1920x1200 and scale down I hate being stuck with scaled and pixelated 1600x1200 pics, hehe
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 27, 2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
I like how you dodged addressing fisherKing, that was slick.
Wasn't a dodge, it was ignoring the bait.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 11:23 AM

Wasn't a dodge, it was ignoring the bait.

...as opposed to taking responsibility for your comments...?

someone either move this to the lounge or do a military strike on it! (always a good solution for everything...)

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 27, 2003, 03:35 PM

...as opposed to taking responsibility for your comments...?
When did I not take responsibility for my comments? You was overreacting. It wasn't a political statement, but a joke.

swiz
GUI Punk
Mar 27, 2003, 04:25 PM

someone either move this to the lounge or do a military strike on it! (always a good solution for everything...)
How about just excercising some personal restraint?

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 06:20 PM

I didn't bother reading trough all the posts, I just have a comment on the picture. This illustrate pretty much cultural differences between the US and Europe. I understand that americans have strong national feelings and will support their soldiers wich are going into a war and all. But "God bless america" combined with heavy deadly weapons and this terrible Iraq war doesn't sound much appealling to me IMHO. I know this is all a way of speaking but I really doubt the american people are closer to God than the rest of us.
Sorry, the picture is nice but your message is horrible IMHO.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 27, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
I didn't bother reading trough all the posts, I just have a comment on the picture. This illustrate pretty much cultural differences between the US and Europe. I understand that americans have strong national feelings and will support their soldiers wich are going into a war and all. But "God bless america" combined with heavy deadly weapons and this terrible Iraq war doesn't sound much appealling to me IMHO. I know this is all a way of speaking but I really doubt the american people are closer to God than the rest of us.
Sorry, the picture is nice but your message is horrible IMHO.
You should have read the rest of the thread.

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 06:41 PM

You should have read the rest of the thread.
No need, he said what should be said.

// phil

Forum Links
Forum Rules