Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17in Powerbook wireless internet

17in Powerbook wireless internet
jdboca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 01:01 PM

First time on forum. Glad to be here. Like several people here; was waiting on my powerbook for a long time. I finally received it yesterday. This is my first time with a Mac. I called Apple support for info on wirelss internet (mainly PCS cards). No luck. My question is What kind of cards can I use (Sierra, etc.)if any? I know about Airport Ext. and Bluetooth. But I'm interested in wireless connectivity anywhere I travel (within range of local antennas of course). In addition, can an Internet provider run on a phone land line without a phone service being activated (I have no home phone service). I use cell phones. I would appreciate any information on any wireless knowledge for Apple laptops. Thank you.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 01:14 PM

Get a bluetooth cell phone. It'll work seamlessly for GPRS access, or so I'm told.

example 1
example 2
example 3

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 2, 2003, 01:36 PM

Either a Bluetooth phone or an InfraRed phone (which would require a InfraRed USB adapter too) would work. The problem with Bluetooth phones right now is most of them are GSM only. This limits the areas where you'll be able to use it because GSM is fairly new in the US. If you plan to only need internet access in cities than GSM is fine, but as soon as you leave town you won't get coverage. If you found a phone that did TDMA and analog you would be better off. What do I use? I have a t68i, which is GSM. It all depends on your needs.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2003, 02:44 PM

Its sad how far ahead Europe and Japan are in the cell phone market. Europe has used GSM forever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules