Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wireless internet through pcmcia card

wireless internet through pcmcia card
jdboca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2003, 10:11 PM

Okay; Is there such a thing as complete roving wireless internet service through the use of pcmcia cards or airport extreme; like I here there is for the PC laptops through wireless phone companies such as Sprint, ect? What I mean is the ability to take the Powerbook anywhere in the phone service area provided and be able to connect to the internet. For example; being on the road and stopping a rest area and connecting to the internet by use of a pcmcia or other means

CMYKboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 12:43 AM

sprint offers wireless internet anywhere that you can pick up a sprint pcs signal. You can either use a PCMCIA card or a connection cable to one of the phones...

jdboca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2003, 03:58 AM

But do they or anybody else offers this to MAC laptops (can we do it with our MAC laptops)? Is it compatible? Or is it only for PC laptops? In addition, how come there is not that much talk on this forum on it? Isn't this better than Airport Extreme since you can actually step out of your house or don't have to be at a Starbucks, etc? I mean, I know Airport Ext. is faster; however, the capability to be completely mobile w/ your laptop seems far better. Don't you think? Any info would be welcomed?

BlueMobility
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 02:41 PM

BlueMobility� is a product that enables you to be connected at faster than dialup in Sprint's coverage area.

http://www.bluemobility.com

Originally posted by jdboca:
But do they or anybody else offers this to MAC laptops (can we do it with our MAC laptops)? Is it compatible? Or is it only for PC laptops? In addition, how come there is not that much talk on this forum on it? Isn't this better than Airport Extreme since you can actually step out of your house or don't have to be at a Starbucks, etc? I mean, I know Airport Ext. is faster; however, the capability to be completely mobile w/ your laptop seems far better. Don't you think? Any info would be welcomed?

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2003, 02:48 PM

You could do it with a Bluetooth enabled laptop and phone. Use the phone for the wireless network and bridge it to the Mac over Bluetooth. Seems like it would be a rather expensive proposition though, for what you get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules