Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Similarity LinuxPPC vs OSX

Similarity LinuxPPC vs OSX
epdeezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 06:29 PM

me and two of my friends just got LinuxPPC working on a relatively new G4...we love it...but i was wondering if the Aqua flavor is similar to the BASH/LinuxPPC flavor...as far as commands and the like...I love it and how stable it is...can someone tell me??

thanks,
EPD
EPD

frilledren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 07:05 PM

As flavors, I wouldn't really say they're that similar at all, but everyone's taste buds are different. I mean they use different shells as
default, but you can change that...
aqua's pretty different from TWM, or gnome, or whatever topping you
like.
Linux and OSX and they both have their pros and cons for me at least.
Linux is always more of a pain to setup, so if you want to compare you're over the hump on installation at least. I like them both, and use both daily.
good luck

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2001, 09:10 PM

Mac OS X and Linux are very different yet very similar. While the core is similar, the surface is quite different. Linux's GUI is terminal-oriented, while Mac OS X is quite the opposite.

For the record, Mac OS X's default shell is tcsh (bash couldn't be included due to licensing problems) but you can install bash if you like it more.

I'm not sure quite what your question was, but that's all I'll say.

What exactly do you mean by the Aqua "flavor"? Aqua isn't a flavor of anything...

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

epdeezy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2001, 09:40 PM

I meant as far as terminal...i think GUIs are nice, but NOTHING can beat the terminal.

i was wondering if the commands are similar to those of BASH..

thats all.

EPD
EPD

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 16, 2001, 09:46 PM

I find the tcsh that is the default shell and BASH are very similar.
But, you know that you can get BASH for X--didn't you? Or did you forget to research the topic first?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2001, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
Or did you forget to research the topic first?
Be nice.

siepo
May 19, 2001, 07:51 AM

osx comes with zsh although it is not the default shell. Like bash, it is a souped-up bourne shell. I needed some different commands in the startup file (.zprofile) but for interactive use bash and zsh are close enough for me.

Configuration, with netinfo/niutil, is very very different and I still have to learn my way around.

To my surprise, a large package such as teTeX compiled without too much fiddling so I am beginnning to take osx seriously as a unix system.

There are too many things that the finder doesn't show. I would love a darwin/osx port of midnight commander (the console version) but in the meantime there is emacs' dired mode.

But osx as a replacement for linux is, as far as I am concerned, still quite a way off.

epdeezy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 07:51 PM

Would you reccomend upgrading my new DP 533 w/ 512 ram to OSX..im currently running 9.1

I need to be able to burn DATA and AUDIO cds...

thx...

epd
EPD

bmedina
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 08:36 PM

epdeezy,
As of now, you will be unable to burn data CDs under OS X. Hopefully this will be rectified by this summer, but for now I would not recommend that you upgrade to OS X.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 09:10 PM

X will fly though on your machine........

Damn if you wanna swap...

------------------
450DP/448MB/80GB/Rage/Apple 17"/Zip250/ZipCD/Epson740

ICQ 60617180

I Took The Red Pill

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
May 19, 2001, 09:18 PM

There's a preference that you can set that makes the Finder show all files, hidden, etc.

The easiest way is to download TinkerTool from www.versiontracker.com and then check the box that says "Show Hidden and System Files".

That should do the trick, although they basically hid it because even admin users have no privileges in those directories.

You can also do it via the Terminal w/ defaults write, but I don't remember what the syntax is for boolean operators.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything

[This message has been edited by gorgonzola (edited 05-19-2001).]
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

epdeezy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2001, 09:47 PM

Do you think it would be best to buy OSX when Apple starts shipping it standard with their machines or before?

EPD
EPD

theoden
May 19, 2001, 09:54 PM

Definately afterwards. By then they should have all the major bugs squished (I hope).

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
May 19, 2001, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by theoden:
Definately afterwards. By then they should have all the major bugs squished (I hope).
Still, any updates that are released when they start pre-loading OS X should be available as a download from Apple's site or through Software Update.

So if you don't mind the time it takes to download the update (who knows how big it could be) I'd say get X now and just become familiar with the interface, even if you don't use it full time or much at all.

Anyway, back on topic... I would think that from the user's view (architecture notwithstanding) the common Darwin commands should be similar to Linux's, up some apps (i.e. anythign X-Windows, and anything like BitchX, lynx, links, etc..) would have to be downloaded and/or compiled by yourself.

[edit: going back on topic]
------------------

Douglas Adams 1952-2001

[This message has been edited by Earth Mk. II (edited 05-19-2001).]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

siepo
May 20, 2001, 08:07 AM

Anybody knows of a good introduction and reference to the netinfo stuff? I hate to install utilities just for modifying my configuration but I have a hard time finding out what needs to be edited where.

I did find a very nice introduction to Darwin and NetInfo at http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bks7g/darwin.html but it is only a first introduction.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2001, 08:16 AM

Go for it. If you like the command line, and you want the Mac, it's the perfect thing.

It's not done, but you're computer can handle it better than most others here. You can run any shell you like and as far as commands go, it's a matter of compiling the apps so they run in OS X. Most of the basic stuff is already there, were CLI apps like BitchX and Links can be (and are) compiled for OS X.

I vote Yes. You can burn all your CDs in Classic. It's not that bigga deal. All of your audio cds can be done in OS X.

Don't be afraid of new things. If you get familiar with OS X now, you won't regret it.

------------------

epdeezy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:

You can burn all your CDs in Classic. It's not that bigga deal
How can you burn cds in classic if OSX is installed and classic is not?

EPD

EPD

Forum Links
Forum Rules