Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > skype & ibook?

skype & ibook?
katz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2006, 04:15 PM

Hi, how do you skype with i book? any special hardware (headphones and mic)? I guess I just cannot find the hole for a regular mic:-)... thanks.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 04:52 PM

the iBook does not have any audio in port, meaning you cannot plug an ordinary mic into it. You can, however, get a USB audio card, or a USB mic, or you could just use the built in mic - its located on the left side of your screen bezel, near the top.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2006, 08:53 PM

Skype works on iBook the way it is, does not need any additional hardware.
iBooks come with built in mic & speakers so you are all set ready to go.
You can get a bluetooth headset just for convenience.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Mar 4, 2006, 03:38 PM

IIRC, all the white iBooks have a built-in microphone. The old clamshell ones (blue, orange and other colours) didn't have one and you had to use a USB mic or mic/headset combination.

But just try and download skype, it'll sort of configure itself for your setup. Have fun!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2006, 10:05 PM

Personally, on my 12" PB, which is more closely related to the iBooks than the PBs, I've found that having a noise cancelling mike makes a huge difference in how enjoyable Skype is for everyone.

Plantronics dsp500 is a usb mike with noise cancelling for aounr $47

rjt1000
Senior User
Mar 5, 2006, 10:59 AM

Hi,

I've had good luck using Skype on my PB 12 1.33 using Plantronics DSP-400 usb headset. Thats the folding version, but even so, not really very small b/o the sound processor circuitry which is a sizeable box along the cord. (I believe the DSP 500 has the same)

The laptops internal mic does work reasonably well in my experience, as long as the room is quiet and you use headphones and not the internal speakers.

If you use the internal mic and the internal speakers your skype pals will hear a disturbing echo of their conversation.

Another possibility is the Griffin iMic which is a USB adapter allowing you to use regular PC headsets and also to output audio e.g. to powered speakers or a stereo.

Enjoy,

rjt1000

Forum Links
Forum Rules