Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBooks are finally here! (possible pics)

New MacBooks are finally here! (possible pics) (Page 3)
mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 12:24 PM

April 20th, 2006 -- Matched Memory Pairs make your Intel Mac Faster. Some of you were asking whether you would gain any speed using matched memory pairs on your Macbook Pro, Intel Mac or Intel mini. In our testing, iMovie renders were 3% faster with matched pairs. Our Photoshop CS2 MP actions ran 6% faster with matched pairs.
http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

Not by much. I'm still deciding which one to get myself. I really like the black as it looks like a Pismo, but I am unsure. The cheapest model also looks good as it will not be my desktop replacement as my iMac G5 does it for me.

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 12:38 PM

Picture of the keyboard.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 12:43 PM

It could be very very good, but it all depends on the keyboard. It looks like a horrible Vaio keyboard I used in a shop. It was like typing on moss. I don't like glassy screens, but I could live with that.

Problem is, I don't actually *need* one, and I always thinking along these lines:

"£749 - that's cheap. I can just about afford that"

"But I want a DVD-writer, so I should go for the middle one. £899 isn't bad"

"That black one is very attractive though. I haven't seen a black Mac since the 5400 (edit: 5500) It's a collectors' item!"

"But if I'm going to pay that, I might as well get a MacBook Pro. I want a gig of RAM anyway. And a proper graphics card. And a big screen."

Before you know it, I've got a 17" Pro and a bad case of the "buyer's remorse"

Chris

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 12:46 PM

Well, I am going for the cheapest model and I can get it through my corporate connection which is $16 cheaper than the edu discount!! I don't burn DVDs and if I have to, I can use my iMac G5 or Power Mac for that. And the 1.83 Core Duo should be plenty fast enough for what I do.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves
Well, I am going for the cheapest model and I can get it through my corporate connection which is $16 cheaper than the edu discount!! I don't burn DVDs and if I have to, I can use my iMac G5 or Power Mac for that. And the 1.83 Core Duo should be plenty fast enough for what I do.
Me too, I don't need a superdrive, if i need to burn DVDs I can use my iMac CD, and my iMac is 1.83 Ghz, and its VERY fast, so i certainly don't need the extra speed for what is essentially my 'second' mac. I wil, however most probably be upgrading the HD to 80, as I want to install XP on it, and still have plenty of room
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

the_glassman
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:15 PM

Does it run in clamshell mode?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman
Does it run in clamshell mode?
Thats what I want to know, but I can't find any info on it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by gametime10
Do educational discounts work in retail Apple Stores? If so how?
Sure can. Just bring your school ID or proof of enrollment/employment, and you're good to go.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 01:31 PM

I really love how the keyboard looks now. They have solved in a fantastic way the only two 'noes' I had about the previous white iBooks aesthetically speaking, keyboard and speakers.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:34 PM

Aesthetically, I love the keyboard, but I would like to reserve judgment 'til I find out how it feels. I'm beginning to lean towards Jamie's and mindwaves' plan of buying the lowest end. I had myself convinced that I couldn't buy a computer without a DVD burner in mid-2006, but I rarely burn DVDs, and when I need to, I can do it on my iMac. It would be nice to have the new MacBook really smoke my SuperDrive 1GHz Ti in some respect besides CPU. But that combined with the modest improvements in weight, bulk, 802.11g, Bluetooth, USB 2.0, and (I think) faster HD make even the low-end model come out ahead overall..

Blizzake
Forum Regular
May 16, 2006, 01:37 PM

heres some real blackbook pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pealco/...7594136649292/

ps they are NOT mine

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 01:40 PM

Wow, look at the screen reflections in those pics! I predict an aftermarket translucent screen cover to reduce reflections.

Appleinsider has some more pics:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1748

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 01:41 PM

The keyboard looks a lot like the one on my girlfriend's Compaq which works pretty well. I would love to get my hands on it, though.

EDIT: I totally take this back! Looking at the AppleInsider pics linked above, this is a whole other animal.

smileydub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 01:41 PM

From the photos available, I can't see the speakers on the MacBook 13"
Can someone point them out to me?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 16, 2006, 01:44 PM

http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

Not by much. I'm still deciding which one to get myself. I really like the black as it looks like a Pismo, but I am unsure. The cheapest model also looks good as it will not be my desktop replacement as my iMac G5 does it for me.
It makes a significant difference for video performance.

BTW, how much memory does Rosetta'd Office take? I am just wondering if I should just go for 2 GB right off the bat, but I'm thinking 1 GB (or 1 GB minus 64 MB) should probably be OK, since this is not my main machine. I do use Photoshop once in a while though too, but not that often on the laptop.

P.S. I wish I too could change the thread title when someone wants to post oversized pix.

Originally Posted by AssassyN
^ You'd be interested in this:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05...book/index.php

It is definitely a different strategy, but the reasoning is probably entirely linked to the vanishing of the 12" PowerBook. Apple couldn't just *not have* an ultra-portable machine that could do power-apps. or they'd fall behind Dell/Sony/etc. It's basically just one lineup now, but they also couldn't appear to NOT appeal to "normal consumers", so they couldn't just offer a "Pro-line". Their solution works pretty well, I think.
So no MPB 13" on Thursday. We can feel more comfortable in our orders then.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by smileydub
From the photos available, I can't see the speakers on the MacBook 13"
Can someone point them out to me?
They may be on the BACK of the machine and "reflect" the sound off of the bottom of the screen. Doesn't the 12" Powerbook have 'em set up like that?

alon99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 02:09 PM

Does anyone know if this will run Final Cut Studio? I won't be using it all the time, but I don't want to buy a mac that can't run it.

If so, I'm getting one today!

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 02:26 PM

The local Apple Store (Rochester, NY/ Eastview Mall) claims to have the Macbooks on display already, so I may have to ditch work a little early and go there to check it out.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
...so I may have to ditch work a little early and go there to check it out.
I've only been at work an hour and all I can think about is going home, grabbing the car and running out to Suburban Square (Ardmore, PA) to see if the blackBook is smudgy. Miscalculations mean I can't buy one for another couple days anyway. Maybe something Really Cool will be unveiled at Thursday's press briefing and I can get one with a MacBook..

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 02:43 PM

The black on the casing actually looks like a matte black, VERY unlike the glossy black on the iPods.

Unless it looks better in person, the matte finish kinda looks cheap to me, unfortunately.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
BTW, how much memory does Rosetta'd Office take? I am just wondering if I should just go for 2 GB right off the bat, but I'm thinking 1 GB (or 1 GB minus 64 MB) should probably be OK, since this is not my main machine. I do use Photoshop once in a while though too, but not that often on the laptop.
I bit the bullet and ordered two 1 GB sticks from this place. Seem a pretty good deal to me.

While I - of course - detest the integrated graphics (out of principle ), it is not a big deal for me, since I just occasionally play Warcraft III, which runs fine for me even on my G4 Mac mini.

The 1.83 is a damn well priced, sleek and powerful machine, and I think a 1.83 Core Duo with 2 GB RAM and 100 GB HD is exciting, especially for around 1300,- € (EDU).

Can't wait!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 02:52 PM

I went during lunch today to the Tampa Apple Store and they didn't have any, they still had the 12" Powerbook and iBooks.
I guess later this week they will have them.

I'm going to sleep on this idea for a while because it could just be another case of the iPod nano, but I am thinking of selling my 17" PowerBook and getting the best MacBook with the biggest harddrive and a 20" monitor.

I'd have the monitor (and keyboard/mouse) at my desk, but then get to have the MacBook for a *really* portable laptop.

I've always thought that if they release a widescreen iBook I'd be all over it.
I want to see what it is like in real life.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 02:53 PM

I've noticed something weird about the MagSafe Power Adapter.

If you go to the AppleStore you'll see there are now two. One is the 85W required for the MBP and the other is 60W and for the MB. The latter won't be available for another three weeks. So far so good.

However, on the 85W adapter page they say it's compatible with the MBP, not the MB. Does this actually mean the MB won't charge from the 85W adapter? I'd prefer not to wait three weeks to get a second adapter for my MB and just buy the 85W one (I don't care that it's bigger), but I want to be sure it'll work.

Does anybody know if the 85W adapter is compatible with the MB?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 02:55 PM

Nooo. From Radeon 9550 to GMA 950! Well, they upgraded the MBP from 1.86 to 2.00 and 2.00 to 2.16
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 02:58 PM

BTW, I actually forgot to post my newest family member - my MBP is getting a little sister.

Ordered:
Black 13" MB, 2GHz
2GB RAM
80GB HDD

Estimated ship by 5/23

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I bit the bullet and ordered two 1 GB sticks from this place. Seem a pretty good deal to me.
Yeah, memory is C$150 locally per 1 GB stick but I'm wondering if I should bother.

My iBook ran fine with 1 GB RAM. The difference now is that Office is using Rosetta, and 64 MB is gone to the GPU.

Going to 1.5 GB doesn't make sense, and going to 2 GB RAM is a tad expensive. (Extra CAD$300 for 2x1024 2nd tier 3rd party RAM instead of extra CAD$111 for 2x512 for Apple.)

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 03:01 PM

I just got mine from the Newport Beach store!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:03 PM

Dont hold us in suspense!! how is it?? How is that funny looking keyboard? How is the screen? How is the build quality? How is the magnetic latch? How is EVERYTHING?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:05 PM

Also, note how the SDs in the MacBooks are 4 x, but support DL, unlike the MBP 15". Odd..

Edit: On the 'tech specs' page of the MBs, it says it has a DL drive:

On the comparisons chart that compares all Apple Laptops, it says it is not dual layer (well, more presisely, it doesn't say, whereas the 17" MBP states 'DL':

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 03:15 PM

Posts like this should be illegal - especially from moderators !!!

tell us more - tell us...everything !

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Also, note how the SDs in the MacBooks are 4 x, but support DL, unlike the MBP 15". Odd..

Edit: On the 'tech specs' page of the MBs, it says it has a DL drive:

On the comparisons chart that compares all Apple Laptops, it says it is not dual layer (well, more presisely, it doesn't say, whereas the 17" MBP states 'DL':

...uh..it says it READS DL DVDs...not that it writes them.

RogerR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 03:18 PM

Since I never burn dvds, I don't really need the superdrive (I have a G4 iMac w/ superdrive). I'm considering starting with the 1099 model and upgrading from there, but I'm torn. Which would probably perform better:
--the 1099/1.83 model, but upgraded to a 100gb hardrive and with the ram maxed at 2gb?
--or the 1299/2.0 model, same harddrive upgrade and going to only 1gb on the ram?
Using Apple's ram pricing (yeah, I know), the first model would be us$2000 w/ applecare, the second would only be $1800.
I guess my question is, would I get more bang for my buck with the faster processor/less ram configuration than with the slower processor/more ram option?
I do research and writing so work mainly in MS Word & Safari, but also enjoy downloading movie trailers (looking forward to the hd versions) and the like. Nothing overly ram-hungry, but will be running Word under Rosetta.
( Last edited by RogerR; May 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM. )

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:19 PM

Nevermind

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RogerR
Since I never burn dvds, I don't really need the superdrive (I have a G4 iMac w/ superdrive). I'm considering starting with the 1099 model and upgrading from there, but I'm torn. Which would probably perform better:
--the 1099/1.83 model, but upgrading to a 100gb hardrive and maxing out the ram at 2gb?
--or the 1299/2.0 model, same harddrive upgrade and going to only 1gb on the ram?
Using Apple's ram pricing (yeah, I know), the first model would be us$2000 w/ applecare, the second would only be $1800.
I guess my question is, would I get more bang for my buck with the faster processor/less ram configuration than with the slower processor/more ram option?
I do research and writing so work mainly in MS Word & Safari, but also enjoy downloading movie trailers (looking forward to the hd versions) and the like. Nothing overly ram-hungry, but will be running Word under Rosetta.
If money is an issue, what about just 1.83 GHz plus 1 GB RAM?

I'm thinking it should be fine for Word under Rosetta, running Safari, iCal, and iTunes at the same time, but I'm not sure so I'm interested in the answer to this question too.

It ran fine on my iBook with 1 GB, but I'm not sure how much extra RAM is needed for Office under Rosetta, and you start off with less to begin with since the GPU uses some.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 03:27 PM

--the 1099/1.83 model, but upgrading to a 100gb hardrive and maxing out the ram at 2gb?
I'd go with the faster cpu and less ram. Worst case, in a month or two if you find that 1gb isn't working for you you can always upgrade. If the 1.83 starts to be a little sluggish, you can't upgrade that.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 03:29 PM

Roger, you might want to structure your post a bit more…

The 1.83GHz/100 GB HD/2 GB Ram is exactly what I have ordered, since 0.17 GHz more don't matter as much as 2 GB RAM matter (over only 1 GB). A bigger HD is also a valid point, since we don't know how easy or hard it will be to upgrade the HD (or did any chinese people screw one open already).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by mdc
I'd go with the faster cpu and less ram. Worst case, in a month or two if you find that 1gb isn't working for you you can always upgrade. If the 1.83 starts to be a little sluggish, you can't upgrade that.
Dual-core 1.83 isn't going to be sluggish. Well, for HD trailers a 2.0 might be very slightly better, but does that really matter? It wouldn't be a big deal for me.

HD movies is another story, but the MacBook doesn't have a Blu-ray or HD DVD drive anyway, and even if it did, the system doesn't support HDCP.

I went for the 2.0, but the reason I did was for the SuperDrive.

Voch
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:32 PM

This AppleInsider article has some nice pictures. I wonder if I should drive out to the Lyndhurst store and pick one up if it's available (nah...I'll wait for mine to ship ).

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 03:34 PM

Well the specs state that it can READ discs with DL but writes single layer. Alsmot all machines these days can read DL as commerical DVD movies are DL.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
...uh..it says it READS DL DVDs...not that it writes them.
'my bad

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 03:37 PM

I like it. The new keyboard is nice, but it seems that they keys are spaced a bit far apart, but that might just be me. The build quality is excellent. There are no noticeable gaps of any kind and it wakes from sleep instantly. It feels like a large iBook. So far, so great and no dead pixels!

The magnetic latch which closes the MacBook also is pretty neat. It takes a fair bit of muscle to open it, but it is just like a giant cellphone. I love it!

discotronic
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by alon99
Time to void my warranty...

What about buying and adding a 7200 RPM hard drive? Is that crazy? Here's my thinking:

On the Canadian educational site, it costs $558 to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, and $167
to upgrade to the 100GB HD.
$725 = Upgrades from Apple

From another vendor, you can buy a 100GB 7200 RPM notebook HD for $241,
and 2GB of RAM for $300.

$541 = Upgrades from outside source. Plus, it's a 7200 HD. Plus, I think you
could seell the 60GB drive and the 2x256 DIMMS on eBay for at least $100.

Therefore, $441 in upgrades = Macbook with 2GB, 100GB 7200.

Problem 1: Adding the new HD most likely voids the warranty (though there might be an authorized Apple dealer that would do it for you.)

So... The final price using educational pricing.
$1349 + $441 = $1790.

$2058.50 after taxes, and it's pretty much identical to the MBP except for the video memory.
Just make sure it is a SATA hard drive before you make the purchase.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 03:44 PM

I like it. The new keyboard is nice, but it seems that they keys are spaced a bit far apart, but that might just be me. The build quality is excellent. There are no noticeable gaps of any kind and it wakes from sleep instantly. It feels like a large iBook. So far, so great and no dead pixels!

The magnetic latch which closes the MacBook also is pretty neat. It takes a fair bit of muscle to open it, but it is just like a giant cellphone. I love it!
My guess is they're spaced exactly the same distance apart as any other normal keyboards, if you go by the tops of the keys.

Originally Posted by elcheapo
Well the specs state that it can READ discs with DL but writes single layer.
That sux.

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 03:46 PM

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 03:46 PM

That is all good to hear, I'm praying that mine will be of similar build quality. BTW, I damn envy you!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 03:51 PM

Just read over on Macrumors that you can actually slide the HD out of the battery bay ! :o Can someone confirm or deny this ?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 03:51 PM

Thx.

Too bad it's always hard to make anything of Xbench results.

I'd prefer to see Cinebench and game results.

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 04:01 PM

Downloading cinebench now....no one else here has one?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I've noticed something weird about the MagSafe Power Adapter.

If you go to the AppleStore you'll see there are now two. One is the 85W required for the MBP and the other is 60W and for the MB. The latter won't be available for another three weeks. So far so good.

However, on the 85W adapter page they say it's compatible with the MBP, not the MB. Does this actually mean the MB won't charge from the 85W adapter? I'd prefer not to wait three weeks to get a second adapter for my MB and just buy the 85W one (I don't care that it's bigger), but I want to be sure it'll work.

Does anybody know if the 85W adapter is compatible with the MB?

Can't believe nobody has caught this yet!

Do NOT try to connect an 85W adapter to a machine clearly made for 60W! I mean I'm no EE, but you can't tell me that doesn't SOUND dangerous? I learned my lesson long ago when I couldn't find the actual AC adapter for my router, so I used some spare I found in the actic. Clearly it gave it too much power, and it was in smoke in seconds flat.

Only use the power adapter made to work w/ the MacBook. You can bank on Apple not honoring any warranty if you do otherwise.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mindwaves
May 16, 2006, 04:13 PM

CINEBENCH 9.5

Tester :

Processor :
MHz :
Number of CPUs : 2
Operating System :

Graphics Card :