Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Borland JBuilder

Borland JBuilder
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2001, 07:19 AM

Does anyone have any ideas when or if JBuilder is going to arrive?

There was a press release (before even PB I think) which said that it would be released soon after OS X in early 2001. But I haven't heard anything since. I hope that it doesn't turn out to be vapourware.

I'm using JBuilder on Windows and it's a great Java IDE, not to mention the basic package being free.

Chris

TimMcG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 11:22 AM

I sent an email to Borland asking the same thing. I got this back...

Thank you for sending us your message.

It is estimated that we will be releasing a special JBuilder for Mac OS X this quarter (late May). We will be releasing a Professional and a Foundation Verison.

JBuilder 4 will run on Mac OS X, however I would not suggest that you install it as is because there are some issues within OS X (Apple will be releasing a patch for this, hopefully soon).

Best Regards
Bill
Borland Customer Service

raia
Apr 24, 2001, 11:24 AM

Haven't heard anything... but I was happy to see Sun's Forte works great at least.

charly
Apr 27, 2001, 01:06 AM

You may want to use BlueJ in the meantime. BlueJ is free,
and it runs on MacOS X:

http://www.bluej.org

ck

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2001, 06:36 AM

That's all excellent news!

BlueJ looks like exactly the kind of IDE I'd use - more so than JBuilder, really. They're right when they say that IDEs are often overkill and too GUI focused. That's why I like Codewarrior so much - it does nothing to get in the way of your coding. The plain Java version has become quite expensive, however - more than I think it's worth.

A piece of news that would please me, is if Apple were to improve the Applet Launcher - it's horrible!

Chris

AirSluf
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 04:49 PM

I haven't seen BlueJ but I really do like Forte (free from Sun) and the Solaris version, Community Edition installed just fine under X. There are some nice features Sun put in as well for things like JavaDoc generation and error correction that I know jBuilder on Win does not have. It also let me almost entirely ignore the classpath problems with its GUI driven file mounting (even seamless no extra effort .jar file examination)

Forum Links
Forum Rules