Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > White males can ease my paranoia (op-ed)

White males can ease my paranoia (op-ed)
thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 08:30 PM

White Males Can Ease My Paranoia
Columnist requests assistance in understanding intricate police tactics

by Byron Williams

"Calling all cars, we have an ALL POINTS BULLETIN! Be on the lookout for an African American male between the ages of 14-65. Height: between 4'11" and 7'5". Weight: between 65 and 450 lbs. Hair: nappy or straight, long or short, in dreadlocks or cornrows. Possibly bald. He was last scene walking, running, or jogging, in baggy jeans, a business suit, sweat suit, or some shorts. If you see anyone on the streets fitting this description, stop him immediately, call for backup and use the required force necessary to subdue him. That is all."

Perhaps this is just my overactive paranoia speaking, but I am convinced that many of this country's police departments, whose sworn duty is to protect and serve, use this clarion call when rounding up their usual suspects.

What else could explain the behavior in the never-ending cycle of: "He Fits the Description?"

My latest outrage is fueled by the recent videotaped incident in Cincinnati, Ohio where Nathaniel Jones died after being beaten by police when they tried to subdue him. Sadly, the beating death -- which has been officially ruled a homicide -- does not surprise me. I've grown accustomed to such beatings courtesy of the technological advances of video recording.

I seek not to ascertain preliminary guilt or innocence of the officers involved, rather to understand the seemingly selective police procedures that appears to be reserved for those men who possess the largest percentages of melanin in their skin.

In the summer of 2002, on consecutive nights, in Inglewood, CA and Oklahoma City, society was privy to the peculiar manner in which those particular police departments administer restraint to African American men. In Oklahoma City, two white officers were videotaped striking an unarmed black suspect 27 times with tactical batons. In Inglewood, 16-year-old Donovan Jackson, was slammed and punched by police officers after he had been subdued and handcuffed.

In the televised beating of Nathaniel Jones, we have again witnessed on national television -- shocking to some, all too real to others -- police engaging in seemingly indefensible tactics.

Could someone inform me of the intricacies of police work that deem it necessary for a white policeman to slam a 16-year-old black youth onto a car and punch him while handcuffed? While you're at it, please explain the nuances that require an unarmed black man being struck 27 times. Why not 17, or 37? Why did members of the New York police department think it was a good idea to put a broomstick into the rectum of Abner Luima? Could you please tell me the type of wallet that Amadou Diallo had the night he held it up to police -- who mistakenly thought it was a 9-millimeter pistol and shot at him 41 times?

Because of my ignorance on such matters, I'm still trying to understand what part of Rodney King's body was still moving threateningly as Lawrence Powell did his best Babe Ruth impersonation. The good people of Simi Valley told me that I did not see on the video what I thought I saw. No wonder Marvin Gaye cried out: "Makes me wanna holla!"

It puzzles me that there never seems to be a video camera around when police unleash their questionable tactics on my white brethren.

Therefore, to the white males who may read this piece: if, while confronting police officers, you have been shot at 41 times while holding a wallet, been beaten beyond recognition, had a broomstick shoved in your rectum while in custody, been struck 27 times while unarmed, or simply had your face slammed and struck after you were subdued and handcuffed, could you please contact me ASAP?

In doing so, you could go a long way in helping to ease my paranoia about police brutality against black men. I'll be waiting.

Byron Williams writes a weekly political/social commentary at Byronspeaks.com. Byron serves as pastor of the Resurrection Community Church.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2003, 09:10 PM

You know, with how deeply this $hit seems to be ingrained in the institutional fabric of so many police forces, I wonder if it might be better to phase the old ones out to be replaced by new ones. I don't know what I would modify in terms of official changes, but it seems to me that the culture and traditions have got to go. First and foremost, though, would be a rule that nobody who worked for the old force could work for the new, at least for a few years, and after that only a few at a time. Some might see that as a "baby with the bathwater" moment, but I don't really see another surefire way to kill off a cancerous tradition.

BlackGriffen

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2003, 09:50 PM

Black males commit a disproportionate number of crimes. Any discussion of racism among police, doing APBs on black males or whatever, just has to address that. Better yet, we ought to think about the reasons that blacks commit so many crimes. For starters, I think something like 80% of blacks are raised in a non-marriage context.

Lerkfish
Dec 8, 2003, 11:36 PM

I"m very familiar with this case, as we are covering it extensively and it happened an hour from here.

Its not quite as cut and dried as it appears. Far be it from me to defend at least the bald patrolman who is obviously overzealous with his nightstick, and should probably come under some sort of charge, BUT...

This particular person had cocaine and PCP in his system and was very difficult to subdue. Up until the point they had him handcuffed, from everything I've learned, they did the right thing, and he was resisting the handcuffs.

Now, where it falls on the other side is that once handcuffed, two officers apparently continued to kneel on his back while he was facedown, compressing his chest and making it difficult to breathe. While they were doing that, that bald patrolman was raining blows with the end of his nightstick into the side and ribs, supposedly trying to hit a nerve complex that will disable the arms. IMHO, the cop's adrenalin took over and he went way longer than he should have. In addition, a EMR team was there, but inexplicably went away during the beating, and couldn't be called back quickly enough. Additionally, the man is lying on the ground for several minutes before anyone thinks to check and see if he is breathing.

This has all the earmarks of a "good" arrest that turned horribly bad at a certain point, probably because while resisting the suspect clocked one policeman pretty good, and then the dander was up.

However, even though I think police can be racist bastards both individually and institutionally, this particular incident appears to be more situational problem than a racist problem -- in that the arrest was by the book in the beginning until things had gone haywire. If it was a racial problem, it would have been haywire from the get-go. This is especially unfortunate as Cincy had riots recently on what was definitely a "bad" shoot, and likely racially influenced. The community is a little raw still and some would leap at this opportunity to make similar charges.
But from all indications thus far, it appears race had naught to do with this one.

Now, consider this as a caveat, though, because two minutes at the beginning of the video are strangely missing. But surveillance video from the restaurant (not the video of the arrest) shows the man acting oddly and patrolmen calmly walking up to him from two sides.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
Black males commit a disproportionate number of crimes. Any discussion of racism among police, doing APBs on black males or whatever, just has to address that. Better yet, we ought to think about the reasons that blacks commit so many crimes. For starters, I think something like 80% of blacks are raised in a non-marriage context.
Um, who are you and what have you done with BRussell? Or is this an attempt at satire? While your statement that black males commit a disproportionate number of crimes appears (at least on its face) to be true, the rest of this post sounds very unlike you.

As for what "intricacies of police work" led to this: there are none. Nathaniel Jones was unfortunate enough to have a run-in with a real �sshole who happened to be a police officer, and although there is no excuse for what happened to him, he didn't exactly make the situation better by resisting.

This kind of thing is in no way institutionalized in our police forces. What we do seem to have is a culture where �ssholes like this seem drawn to law enforcement, and they are not screened carefully enough. That does have to change, but first the question: why are idiots like this officer so drawn to law enforcement anyway? Some kind of power trip?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lerkfish
Dec 9, 2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
why are idiots like this officer so drawn to law enforcement anyway? Some kind of power trip?
yes.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2003, 03:54 PM

Rather, maybe, it's a matter of powerlesness and delusion, which are then, in the hierarchical/institutional context (of the police, etc.), negated and "removed" into arrogant, fascist-like attitudes.

It's the usual "negation of a negation" (or fake and destructive/nonsensical affirmation) behavior, which tends to be more and more dominant in today's world.
( Last edited by Sven G; Dec 9, 2003 at 04:11 PM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

thunderous_funker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 04:07 PM

All worthy thoughts on the general topic of police brutality, but anyone want to help the author (and me) out?

Therefore, to the white males who may read this piece: if, while confronting police officers, you have been shot at 41 times while holding a wallet, been beaten beyond recognition, had a broomstick shoved in your rectum while in custody, been struck 27 times while unarmed, or simply had your face slammed and struck after you were subdued and handcuffed, could you please contact me ASAP?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 05:34 PM

As an African-American male I am all too familiar with police brutality against black men. This country has a long and sordid history in this regard without question. Having said that, in this particular case I simply can't fault the police. If the coroner's report is to be believed the man was loaded up on dope ... including PCP, he had a heart condition, and was seriously overweight. He then decides that he is bad and attempts to kick the cop's ass. I even heard this fool say on the tape that "My momma taught me how to do this!" as he tossed the cop across around like a rag doll. So not only is he dumb enough to attack the cops, he's talking sh*t while he's at it! Absolutely classic!

Based upon the coroner's report, he was struck in the lower portions of his body. He had bumps and bruises from the blows, but no injuries to his head or internal organs. The man apparently died because of the exertion from the struggle. And given his heart condition and the presence of drugs in his system, this isn't surprising.

Now having said all that, I agree with the sentiments of the columnist. You just don't see white men being killed or beaten by police under such questionable circumstances. Nowhere near to the degree that you see these situations with black men. I see story after story in the paper where white suspects actually shoot at the police and manage to get arrested alive, but black men end up dead because the police "thought" they had a gun.

The problem of police brutality is real. Very real. While I am saddened that this man was killed, I simply can't view him as a poster child for police brutality. The following columnist's piece on this case pretty much sums up my view on the subject ...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...with+police%3F

OAW

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 12:02 AM

As a human being whose skin just happens to be white I just want to say that I am certainly aware of and disheartened by this *phenomenon.*

Do I have any answer for it? Unfortunately not. And certainly not any that could be adequately addressed here.

American racism is a tragic historical condition which still afflicts us all. :/

Way to go Founding Fathers.

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

pooka
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
All worthy thoughts on the general topic of police brutality, but anyone want to help the author (and me) out?
I don't know if I count as a whitie but I figure that I'm close enough. Good ole boys here in the south have on occasion confused me for an arab or a "jew ****er". Not sure if that one meant I looked jewish or that I looked like someone who leg-humps jewish folk. Whutevar.

Never been shot by law enforcement. Had guns drawn, stuck in my face, back of the head, side of the head. Worst was a 12 gauge stuck a little bit behind the ear. The owner seemed a little nervous and I just new that damn thing was going to go off. If a cop has a gun pointed at you, count on there being a couple of pounds already applied to the trigger. Crap your pants experience. I was acting like a jackass so I can't say I didn't deserve it.

Closest thing to "brutality" I experienced was from a female police officer in Indiana. Made a few choice comments and received a pretty swift beating while wearing cuffs. Should have known better. All in all it was actually pretty funny. Worst part about it was being left on the back of that cruiser in the freezing ****ing cold weather.

Plenty of other minor incidence. Nothing worth really mentioning. Spent some time incarcerated with plenty of other guys who weren't so lucky. Couple of guys missing some teeth and plenty, I mean plenty of guys who had their faces torn up from eating pavement. If you run, don't get caught. Seriously.

That said I'd have to say a lot of cops are %5000 times more likely to have their fingers resting on that thumb release if you are not white. If you're an attractive female you will be pulled over frequently but will always get off with a warning and the officer's card so you can contact him if you have any questions about driving safety.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by pooka:
I don't know if I count as a whitie but I figure that I'm close enough. Good ole boys here in the south have on occasion confused me for an arab or a "jew ****er". Not sure if that one meant I looked jewish or that I looked like someone who leg-humps jewish folk. Whutevar.

Never been shot by law enforcement. Had guns drawn, stuck in my face, back of the head, side of the head. Worst was a 12 gauge stuck a little bit behind the ear. The owner seemed a little nervous and I just new that damn thing was going to go off. If a cop has a gun pointed at you, count on there being a couple of pounds already applied to the trigger. Crap your pants experience. I was acting like a jackass so I can't say I didn't deserve it.

Closest thing to "brutality" I experienced was from a female police officer in Indiana. Made a few choice comments and received a pretty swift beating while wearing cuffs. Should have known better. All in all it was actually pretty funny. Worst part about it was being left on the back of that cruiser in the freezing ****ing cold weather.

Plenty of other minor incidence. Nothing worth really mentioning. Spent some time incarcerated with plenty of other guys who weren't so lucky. Couple of guys missing some teeth and plenty, I mean plenty of guys who had their faces torn up from eating pavement. If you run, don't get caught. Seriously.

That said I'd have to say a lot of cops are %5000 times more likely to have their fingers resting on that thumb release if you are not white. If you're an attractive female you will be pulled over frequently but will always get off with a warning and the officer's card so you can contact him if you have any questions about driving safety.
Yup, been confused as an Arab a number of times on this fair continent and spent some time in jail cause of that as well.

Judging by the experiences I had with the various police forces I would say that whenever you're a member of some minority or even suspected to be a member of said minority, yo' ass is on the line.

Next time I'll just tell them my buddy pooka is gonna talk to them with his boomsticks.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules