Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Consoles Are Stealing OUR Games!!!

Consoles Are Stealing OUR Games!!!
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 11:27 AM

I'm really tired of certain should-be PC games that were only released or will only be released for consoles.

Grand Theft Auto IV
Battlefield: Bad Company (Every other Battlefield has been released for PC, why change this one?)
Halo Wars- (Aren't PC's the king of RTS's? Thats a no brainer...)
Army of Two
Call of Duty 3 (Though 4 is now out, so I guess thats old news)
Mass Effect
Lair

Certainly some are much harder to believe than others. At least we have Crysis.

If there's any I've forgotten, let me know.

Stupid consoles!
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 30, 2007 at 11:36 AM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 11:29 AM

Games being made for dedicated gaming machines. The horror!

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Games being made for dedicated gaming machines. The horror!
I don't have a problem with games being made for these machines, just with them only being made for them.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 11:39 AM

Well, that usually is determined by whether the game is 1st party software or its considered worth the time to port. Don't forget that the GameCube got neglected by the 3rd party market even though it was a dedicated console.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 12:01 PM

Actually, I didn't know that. I paid no interest to consoles until the 3rd generation.

Still, PC's are a much bigger market than the GameCube.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 12:07 PM

That's true, especially since the GameCube is dead. It's successor, however, the Wii is absolutely huge -- though I don't see it infringing on the PC market. That's the exclusive domain of the 360 and PS2 now.

I just realized the irony of a Mac user complaining about PCs not getting enough games. Awesome.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
That's true, especially since the GameCube is dead. It's successor, however, the Wii is absolutely huge -- though I don't see it infringing on the PC market. That's the exclusive domain of the 360 and PS2 now.

I just realized the irony of a Mac user complaining about PCs not getting enough games. Awesome.
No, the Wii definitely won't have any affect on PC's.

I would certainly prefer games to come to Mac, but thats much farther off than games staying on PC's, so I'm working with what I've got. And for a second there I thought the last part was your signature. I would have been honored

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 1, 2007, 02:39 PM

Grand Theft Auto IV - Will likely be out on PC later just like the other recent ones. Console first, PC later.
Battlefield: Bad Company (Every other Battlefield has been released for PC, why change this one?) - Not sure, stopped caring about Battlefield when the "mod" 2142 came out at full price and with Ads
Halo Wars- (Aren't PC's the king of RTS's? Thats a no brainer...) - I'm betting PC release one to two years after the 360 release. See Halo 1, and Halo 2, along with other 360 killer games like Gears of War.
Mass Effect - Will likely be out on PC at some time, just like KOTOR.
Lair - Built around motion sensing in the PS3 controller, not likely to make the jump.
<This space under renovation>

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2007, 03:04 PM

Meh, I'm on the other side of this. Stroll down the PC games isle and you'll see dozens of games that are PC ONLY and will never make it to the consoles. I have a 360 and have to avoid those isles like the plague because I end up feeling ripped off by the pretty terrible game selection that the 360 still has.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2007, 08:54 PM

Dey turk er jerbs!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Dey turk er jerbs!
lawl

P
Dec 2, 2007, 10:11 AM

The games market is completely sick. The console manufacturers throw so much money at games developers to make them make their games for their platforms, exclusively or just mainly. Ever wonder where they get that money? From their customers, of course.

Because of the moronic input systems found on most consoles, this means that even games made also for PCs often have stupid limitations because of the controllers on the console side. I love Oblivion, but you are limited to 8 shortcut slots because that's all they could fit on the controller. Neverwinter Nights has 40, and the comparison really shows off what a few more slots could have made for the flexibility of the game. It becomes glaringly obvious who is calling the shots when the shortcut slots are buttons 1-8 on the keyboard - skipping the obvious 9 and 0 that could have provided at least two more.

This is also the reason some PC games don't make it to consoles - without a keyboard, RTS games are severely limited at best. I can't understand why consoles never support mouse and keyboard for the types of games that are better for it (RTS and shooters). Is it some sort of religious requirement that all games ever must be played with a controller?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2007, 10:50 AM

It just seems dumb not to release games like HALO 3 or Mass Effect for PCs as well as your console base. Releasing HALO and HALO 2 long after its release on console systems, and very buggy and crippled, was just plain idiotic.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Dec 2, 2007, 04:13 PM

It's really simple.

PC games require a little bit more time to learn and once people get it down they add 15+ shortcuts to accomplish multiple tasks in a game. They feel this saves them time because they are talking to their friend, while killing an enemy, while talking in their group, while eating a ham sandwich.

Console gamers do not require as much time to pick up a game. Within a few seconds gamers already know A is punch and B is jump. PC games require you to either read the option screen for the controls or look at that thick manual that came with the game. Yes there are some games that use the same sequence of keys you are used to, some, but it will not be as easy as using a controller
I'm glad Grand Theft Auto is eventually going to be released for the PC because it's more exciting when it is just released on the Playstation. How ironic if it was released for the Mac first.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2007, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
This is also the reason some PC games don't make it to consoles - without a keyboard, RTS games are severely limited at best. I can't understand why consoles never support mouse and keyboard for the types of games that are better for it (RTS and shooters). Is it some sort of religious requirement that all games ever must be played with a controller?
They do have these for consoles — it's just that nobody uses them.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
They do have these for consoles — it's just that nobody uses them.
The XB360 doesn't let you use a mouse at all and only lets you use a keyboard for text input, not in-game play. Not sure about the other consoles, though.

P
Dec 3, 2007, 07:20 PM

It's more or less the same on all consoles. What's funny is that the Wiimote works like a mouse, both for input and for shooters, but since that isn't obviously a mouse, it's somehow OK.

Forum Links
Forum Rules