Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > T-Mobile posts $361M net profit for Q2 following subscriber increase

T-Mobile posts $361M net profit for Q2 following subscriber increase
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 30, 2015, 02:26 PM

T-Mobile has managed to post a net profit of $361 million for the most recent quarter, reversing a $63 million loss from the previous quarter and almost reaching the $391 million it brought in for the same period last year. In its successful quarter, the carrier reports total revenue of $8.2 billion, up year-on-year by 14 percent, with the per-share loss of $0.09 from last quarter being switched for an earnings per share of $0.42.

Earlier this month, T-Mobile revealed it had a total net customer addition of 2.1 million, which is a year-on-year increase of 41 percent, and the ninth consecutive quarter with over 1 million customers added. Branded postpaid net additions totaled 1 million, with 760,000 branded postpaid phone net additions, and a postpaid phone churn of 1.3 percent.

T-Mobile CEO and president John Legere (right)
T-Mobile CEO and president John Legere (right)

For the quarter, T-Mobile sold 8.3 million devices to both postpaid and prepaid customers, with 7.4 million of the units consisting of smartphones. T-Mobile did not break down smartphone sales by brand.

One initiative in particular is making an impact on the average revenue per user (ARPU), according to the carrier. The figure increased sequentially by 3.8 percent to $48.19, which the carrier claims is triggered by customers using Data Stash, T-Mobile's carry-over data allowance scheme. When ignoring Data Stash, branded postpaid phone ARPU for the quarter would have been just 1.0 percent. Branded prepaid ARPU has gone up 1.8 percent year-on-year and 0.1 percent sequentially to $37.83.

"While the carriers continue to use gimmicks to confuse consumers, T-Mobile continues to listen to customers and respond with moves that blow them away," said president and CEO John Legere. "Overall, I think our results speak for themselves."

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2015, 05:31 PM

I broke my contract with them to get away from their crappy service and non-support of defective phones.

robertdupuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2015, 02:05 AM

t-mobile is rather expensive for such a poor network.

I prefer straighttalk, it's a t-mobile or at&t mvno, I use the at&t sim to get the better network and its cheaper.

The one thing straight talk doesn't allow is sharing of data via mobile hotspot, but other than that I get 5gb of data and unlimited voice/text on at&t's network for $25 less per month than what it costs on t-mobiles post paid plan.

T-mobile just isn't cheap any more.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2015, 03:21 AM

I've had far better customer service with T-Mobile than I have with any of the other carriers. (They've gone way out of their way to assist me with any issue I've ever had!) Even better, I'm saving over $100 over what my AT&T bill was monthly.

As for coverage: In the areas I go, I have better coverage on T-Mobile than on my work-issued Verizon phone. The free international data is a nice bonus for me.

Perhaps T-Mobile isn't for everyone, but for me it's been amazing.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 31, 2015, 11:00 AM

That's the thing with networks - there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all one, regardless of how hard they try to be. Here at the house, I've got crap AT&T coverage. However, out in town, it's by far and away the best coverage and speed of any of them.

My buddies with Verizon have five bars in my house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules