Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why cant i sleep?

Why cant i sleep?
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 12:50 AM

its 4:45am, I've been in bed for over four hours now. I've tried everything. Not only is this affecting my studies, its also made it so I now usually sleep from about 6am till 3pm. Bloody annoying.
I've tried warm milk, cold milk, alcohol, excercise, music, podcasts, calm music, natural music, reading for hours, not going near screens/computers/tvs for two hours before sleep, hot showers, cold showers. I've tried eating fruit/vegetables/pastry/bread/dairy before sleep. I've tried not eating anything for hours before sleep then just drinking milk. NOTHING works.

Any tips? Its driving me nuts, I've gotta go out tomorrow from 9am till 6pm, then i'm going to a club with friends, then the next day i've got a flight to catch at 8am. I really really need sleep, and yet its totally impossible.
we don't have time to stop for gas

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2006, 12:55 AM

Sleeping pills.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 01:03 AM

Try masturbation...seriously. Put's me out every time.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 01:03 AM

Dppd

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 01:30 AM

The only true way is to establish a constant pattern. Sounds like your pattern is screwed up badly right now. You have to force yourself tired or not into the time slot you want, then not take a nap at all for the first several days.

For a short term fix try to score some meds called ambien. If you don't want real meds then try valerian root from a health store.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2006, 02:47 AM

just move to the US and your time zone will get corrected, then - if it happens again - move back to the UK.
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ratm
Try masturbation...seriously. Put's me out every time.
A nice workout usually will get you tired. Or just a workout with someone else......

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Peter
its 4:45am, I've been in bed for over four hours now. I've tried everything.
Really everything? 'Coz if Horlicks doesn't put you out, you need to go see a doctor.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:08 PM

Are you having increased stress in your life? That can be a big problem.

If the sleep disturbance continues you should consult your physician.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2006, 12:12 PM

1-cut down caffiene intake
2-get some exercise
3-reduce stress--particularly worrying about not sleeping!

It would also be good to identify when you started having problems sleeping. Did this coincide with some event? Did you go on holiday and sleep in all the time?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:23 PM

Peter I think your problem is common among UK students. I know what you are going through. This time of year it gets so dark that everyones' sleeping patterns get thrown into the dumps. I know exactly what you mean when you say that you stay up until 6am and sleep until the afternoon. What makes it worse is that your friends are probably all doing the same thing, so there is no real incentive to correct yourself.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is staying up all night, and then drinking loads of caffeine to stay up through the day as well. Go into the city centre and spend your day in starbucks, do something that won't tire you out. Then go back around 8 or 9 and go to sleep. It might work.

Or you could opt for the other method, which is to wake up 1-2 hours early each day, and eventually you find yourself waking up early and going to bed early. In theory this method is superior to the first one I described, but I don't think that anyone has ever pulled it off successfully.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Jan 16, 2006 at 11:12 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 11:10 PM

gethigh
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2006, 03:38 AM

You Chuck Norris?

"Chuck Norris once ate an entire bottle of sleeping pills. They made him blink."

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2006, 03:48 AM

Go to a sleep clinic to check it out.

Also try Yoga or Acupuncture.

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 03:54 AM

Why cant i sleep?
You are a ghost.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 04:34 AM

yeah get some exercise in the morning, just don't exercise at night before you go to sleep, obviously. You need to change your sleep hygiene. I asked my doctor about sleeping pills, she said it wasn't a good idea and it's better to get a natural sleep. (I have the same problem.)

brapper
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Peter I think your problem is common among UK students. I know what you are going through. This time of year it gets so dark that everyones' sleeping patterns get thrown into the dumps. I know exactly what you mean when you say that you stay up until 6am and sleep until the afternoon. What makes it worse is that your friends are probably all doing the same thing, so there is no real incentive to correct yourself.
It's not just UK students. It's getting dark here at 4 in the afternoon. Threw me off for awhile. Now I go to the gym every day and do a half hour on the bike around 5-6 at night. Then I eat a good meal, work until I need to go to sleep, and i usually pass right out.
If I take the bike ride out of the day, I struggle to sleep.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 07:11 AM

Ask your doctor to prescribe you some Melatonin supplements, non addictive and should sort you out.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 17, 2006, 07:41 AM

Oh Oh.. I smell quack adivce.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 08:35 AM

OMG don't take pills.

My advice, force yourself to wake up at a certain time every morning . You will be jet lagged for the first couple of days ,but that should work.

milk and masturbation probably work too.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko
OMG don't take pills.
There are actually different types of pills, speaking to a doctor and getting a supplement may sort the problem. Hanging around in Starbucks and drinking coffee all day is dangerous and is really going to compound any sleep problem you may have.

Im being honest this worked for me, so it very possible it will work for you.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 09:03 AM

Ok, I'd say that the behavioral methods (e.g. trying to shift your sleep cycle) are the safest bet. Only as a last resort do you want to think about sleeping pills (as they're all habit-forming, either psychologically or chemically). If you go to bed at 1am and are tossing and turning - get up, grab a book or something, read for an hour or so out of bed and then go back to bed. Usually works for me and I get nasty bouts of insominia a few times a year.

Good luck.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2006, 09:37 PM

I stumbled across an article today on sleep...http://www.lifehacker.com/software/life-hacks/

not a whole lot there, but hey I thought of you
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 09:40 PM

Peter hasn't replied yet - he must be sleeping

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

cheery7upper
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2006, 11:11 PM

Tylenol PM works well. It is non-addictive and can be a nice quick fix if you really want to go to sleep and can't. It doesn't leave you groggy in the morning when you wake up either and is only as strong as what taking two normal tylenol would be.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 12:11 AM

I had the same problem. Took the last semester off and traveled a lot. I was waking up between noon and 4pm everyday and classes start at 745am. The first 4 night before class, I took a shot of nyquil an hour before I wanted to go to sleep. Woke up at 6am all 4 days and haven't needed to use it since.

Nyquil is addicting though. If you get addicted easily, I'd stay away as it's bad for your stomach over extended periods of time.

deej5871
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 12:18 AM

One night when you don't have to do anything important the next day just stay up all night. Don't go to sleep during that day either (use caffeine or whatever is necessary to stay awake). That way, by the next night, you'll be so tired you'll be able to sleep as soon as you get in your bed. If for some reason you can't get to sleep easily that night, repeat the process. You'll surely get to sleep after 48 hours of being awake.

I've thought about trying this out many times when I completely destroy my sleep cycle by staying up far too late, however I never have. So remember, this advice is completely untested and will more than likely screw you up more than you already are.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 03:43 AM

The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 04:26 AM

I'd advise keeping yourself awake all night, stay busy during the next day (caffeine, if necessary), and then allow yourself to go to bed at about 10 PM. I know this has already been advised, so basically I just second whoever said it first.

Worked for me (several times)

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 12:14 PM

The reason is that your sleep pattern is reversed. First you will have to be awake for 24 hours, then you will have to expect to sleep short nights for 2 to 6 weeks all depending on your physical patterns. Over the weekend keep going to bed at the same time around 10:00 pm and waking up early in the morning; it should go back in order within the next 6 weeks. There is no easy fix to this and it takes time. Good luck.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2006, 12:26 PM

I've had problems sleeping as long as I can remember. I tried for years without taking any medication and finally I said **** it and tried some Ambien. It's the best sleep I've ever had, and I wake up feeling ready to go.

Normally I try to only use medication of any kind as a last resort (I have Crohns disease and don't take any medication for it), but it was to a point where it was affecting my ability to function. The Ambien really, really helped.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2006, 10:59 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006, 11:04 PM

I want you to hit me as hard as you can.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 11:31 AM

I jsut give up now and sleep from about 4am till 9am. *shrugs* Even the sleep pills dont work :o
we don't have time to stop for gas

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 02:45 PM

Read the "Why God Chose the Jews" thread in the PL. If you are still awake after a few pages, you've got problems, and your only hope for remedy is divine intervention.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
milk and masturbation probably work too.
Although not at the same time....

you may spill your milk....

or worse, get something in there that shouldn't be......
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 02:56 PM

Seriously, though... avoid alcohol. Studies have shown that it may help you be drowsy, but it can affect the overall quality and quantity of sleep.

Also, don't just lay in bed awake. If you're not asleep in 5 minutes, get up and do something until you're tired enough to sleep, then try again. The body gets into patterns and if it gets used to "the bed" being only for sleep, it may be easier to fall asleep once in bed. That also means no reading, watching TV, eating, etc. in bed. Also, try not to take naps on the couch or in a chair during the day, for the same reason. If you must take a nap during the day (which can also throw off your sleep pattern) go sleep in your bed.

Good luck.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
The body gets into patterns and if it gets used to "the bed" being only for sleep, it may be easier to fall asleep once in bed.
excellent point. It can also be applied to sex.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I'd advise keeping yourself awake all night, stay busy during the next day (caffeine, if necessary), and then allow yourself to go to bed at about 10 PM. I know this has already been advised, so basically I just second whoever said it first.

Worked for me (several times)
i do that to whenever i get in the habbit of staying up late
annoyingly i sometimes fall asleep during the day and that can couse headakes and make it even harder to get to sleep next night

Forum Links
Forum Rules