Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > new iphone question

new iphone question
zilla3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 PM

so i got an iphone and activated it and i am getting these texts that read "cingular update. please delete this message and repower phone" is this normal? gotten 3 so far pretty close in a row. thanks

TravisReynolds
Mar 12, 2008, 10:35 PM

i remember getting a few texts telling me when everything was up and running and was good to go
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 02:31 PM

If they're from Cingular, chances are they are not counting towards your 200-message monthly limit. Check your text message count at wireless.att.com.

QS

zilla3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 06:09 PM

thanks for the responses. another question reguarding phone/att signal. so far everything about the iphone is great (except the couple of stuck pixels that hopefully apple will deal with tomorrow). however, i notice sometimes when im playing with it or looking at it, it will have full bars and the edge symbol and then....complete flatline. no bars no edge icon. lasts for a few seconds then there all back. is this normal for att service? phone issue? i'm a former cdma network user so i don't know much about how gsm sends signals. but dam i love this phone! thanks

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by zilla3 View Post
... i notice sometimes when im playing with it or looking at it, it will have full bars and the edge symbol and then....complete flatline. no bars no edge icon. lasts for a few seconds then there all back. is this normal for att service?...
I've noticed in downtown Chicago the same thing happens. Great signal then nothing.

Very annoying. It's AT&T as other people using Verizon don't have that problem.

zilla3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 08:37 PM

it would be nice if uncle steve could lay down some pressure on att to get their
act together! still love the phone!

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by zilla3 View Post
it will have full bars and the edge symbol and then....complete flatline. no bars no edge icon. lasts for a few seconds then there all back.
That's usually a sign of your baseband/GSM modem crashing and then restarting itself. It shouldn't happen. Make sure you're running the latest firmware. If it keeps happening (and often), try doing a restore.

If you had file-level access to the iPhone, you could check the crash logs directory for a baseband crash log to confirm this.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
That's usually a sign of your baseband/GSM modem crashing and then restarting itself. It shouldn't happen....
Except I don't have the problem in Columbus; only when I'm in downtown Chicago. So the problem is AT&T, not the iPhone.

I also did not have any trouble when I was in Sydney, AU recently. Telstra was fine.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 08:46 PM

Fair enough.

It was just a suggestion based on some personal experience.

zilla3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
That's usually a sign of your baseband/GSM modem crashing and then restarting itself. It shouldn't happen. Make sure you're running the latest firmware. If it keeps happening (and often), try doing a restore.

If you had file-level access to the iPhone, you could check the crash logs directory for a baseband crash log to confirm this.
---thanks for that info. i just got the phone 2 days ago and its got ver. 1.1.2 amd the modem firmware is 04.02.13_G (<--dont know if that means anything).

am i correct that the version is up to 1.1.4? i'll have to update and see if that helps at all. thanks again

Forum Links
Forum Rules