Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Should a dew dead pixels put me off a great PB deal?

Should a dew dead pixels put me off a great PB deal?
EyeballTickler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hi guys, I'm ne new to the forum

Anyway, I'm looking for a little wisdom. I'm a student in the market for a very cheap laptop (I'm in Ireland, and my budget is €600, tops). I'd considered getting a refurb PC because most of the secondhand macs in that price range just weren't cutting it for me, but then I struck what appears to be a great deal: A secondhand 1.33Ghz 12' Powerbook with 768mb ram for €520.

The only thing that I'm slightly concerned about is that there is a small cluster of dead pixels down by the dock on this machine.

Here's a pic: http://www.adverts.ie/data/8/large/DSC_0006.JPG

So, I suppose what I'm wondering is, is this going to be a problem? It seems quite small based on that image (and I susepct the 'actual' size is even smaller as that image is blown up I think, as the text looks quite large to be the actual size on a 12'). Has anyone worked with something similar before? Has it caused you problems? Or am I being crazy
considering this a factor when I've found such a great deal?

I don't particularly care about having an aesthetically perfect machine, I just don't want it to get in the way of work or bug me at all.

Another option I've considered is buying this machine now, and if I find out that it does annoy me, going an getting a new 12' screen for the Powerbook, which I should be able to afford come next Spring. Is this a realistic option? I'd be willing to give the labour a go myself.

Any advice would be appreciated. This really is such a (literally) small issue, but as I've been looking for the right laptop for what seems like an eternity I want to get this right.

By the way, in case anyone was going to suggest a different route for purchasing, I've already considered a refurb Macbook, used machines from the US, eBay etc and have ruled them all out for a variety of reasons.

Thanks guys.

iMacfan
Senior User
Dec 10, 2006, 03:29 PM

Well, firstly that definitely isn't a dead pixel - it's some dust or mark, probably dust between the panel and the backlight. It's pretty out of the way, and you're expecting it, so I would be prepared to accept it, but it is a very personal decision.

As far as the whole machine goes, if it's in decent condition, it's an excellent deal and (as long as you don't need power) an excellent machine. I've got exactly the same machine, and decided to keep it as my portable as Apple don't currently make anything that small.

David.
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

Black_Rain
Dec 10, 2006, 03:45 PM

i agree it is a personal decision...

i probably would not agree that it is NOT a dead pixel... i've seen a lot of dead pixels and they can be odd shapes (more than one pixel next to each other...usually 2 or 3...most likely what this one is) like that one. Also dead pixels dont have to just be black... i've seen white dead pixels b4 too....

sometimes also dead pixels can be "rubbed" out... it has to be a firmer rub, but make sure u rub soft enough not to crack the panel... Trust me i've done this MANY times before when LCD tv's were new... i used to work at a bunch of tv stores... and sometimes we would get dead pixels right out of the box... so we would just rub it a little bit and SOMETIMES they go away...

But also take into consideration that it is possible for 1 single dead pixel to spread into a bunch more... i've never personally seen this...but i've heard from a bunch of people

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 08:06 PM

Other than the usual warning to look doubly hard at unusual bargains, the pixel anomaly IMO is no big deal.

-Allen Wicks

pcummins
Dec 11, 2006, 05:25 AM

A new screen is less than $200 US if you know which one to shop for. If you think your good deal is so good you could even afford a new screen if it really started to bug you, then go for it. IMHO - you could probably get a better screen at the same time, the 12" PowerBooks had so-so screens, so it's something you could plan for later on. The other replies I agree to, caveat emptor on exceptional deals.

bluekatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 05:55 PM

that is not a dead pixel dead pixels are generally square and white not black
personally i'd take the plunge it looks like a great deal to me

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 12:25 PM

It doesn't look bad. Although it might bug you a bit at the beginning you'll forget it's there pretty quick. And it's out of the way of the center of the screen, so, seems like a good deal.

I have a 12" PC laptop with a couple of blemishes on the LCD but they have never got in the way of work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules