Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > external HDD problems

external HDD problems
MountianMonkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 03:44 PM

I Have a 400 Gig seagate barracuda external HDD that I mistakenly left in my checked bags, obviously not a good idea. after the flight i tried to power it up, and the power works, but the disk on the inside will not spin, instead of making the whirring noise of the drive starting up, it clicks faintly. if anyone can clue me into a way to get the data off it to another drive or to salvage this one, it would be amazing, thankyou anyone that can help

kikkoman
Senior User
Dec 23, 2007, 05:07 PM

If you have a mechanical failure your really out of luck unless you want to spend $$$ on a disk recovery service. Even so they can't guarantee to get your data back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules