Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD will not mount

External HD will not mount
babalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 04:17 AM

Last night my 250GB Seagate HD, housed in a FW400 enclosure stopped working. First I thought it was the enclosure as it looked like the power to it had died. I removed the drive and installed it in another enclosure. When connected, again via firewire, I get the error "The disc you inserted was not readable by this computer". I went into the disk utility and the drive shows up but with no volumes and even stranger it has a new name. Disk First Aid is not available as the options are greyed out. I have a lot of data on the drive, some of it backed up however about 30gigs is not. So, I tried using DiskWarrior to try and repair the drive, however it does not see the drive. So after much frustration and poking around various forums I used Data Rescue II. It seemed to fix similar issues that others have been having, so I thought I give it a shot. I was excited to see the drive being read even to the point that it had located 12000+ files. However, after the scan was complete the results came back with no files recovered. Please help, what can I do to salvage the data off this drive.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 05:36 AM

Try putting the drive in a different enclosure. If it's the enclosure that's causing the problem, that should allow you to access the drive.

If the drive itself is what's acting up, of course, it's a different story.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

babalu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks for th suggestion CharlesS. I put the drive into anther enclosure, still the same issue. From what I understand, even if the drive did have a catastrophic crash some data should still be retrievable. It looks like the drive drive has been completely erased, which makes no sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules