Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I am blood red furious at gmail right now!

I am blood red furious at gmail right now!
iM@k
Senior User
Oct 21, 2008, 02:29 AM

Allow me to start by explaining that my grandmother, who is in her mid eighties, is an avid bridge player. There are two groups of friends she plays with and both of them send her the game scores via e-mail. When they started doing this, I gave them my e-mail address for this purpose. Then my grandmother got her own computer, and to make things easy, I simply set up a rule in gmail that forwards e-mail from the two score sender's addresses to my grandmother.

Well as most of you know I have been looking to get away from big box retail for quite sometime.

Two months ago I found out that Tech Super Powers (The Boston area independent Apple sales and service company) was hiring. I eagerly sent in my resume and waited to hear back. Depressed to say the least when I didn't hear back from them, mainly because they were perfect for me, and I felt, I for them.

I have longed to work for a place that works exclusively with Apple products, and had my heart set on TSP.

Well tonight I was over at my Grandmother's doing some maintenance on her system when low and behold I found a two month old reply from TSPs inviting me for an interview.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

After finding this one, I looked and I found two others from other companies I had applied to replies (But like I said, TSPs was my dream job). I have been applying to every possible job that I think would suit me for the past four months (All of them Windows based and since my Windows server experience is low, all so far have passed on me), and I have gotten replies correctly from all of them.

I sent my application in on my computer via monster so there's no possible way it picked up my grandmother's address via the mail program. Further more her address isn't even on gmail like mine and there's no way I miss typed it.

I checked my gmail settings and it still shows only two specific addresses should be forwarded to my grandmother.

Why oh why did it forward the one from TSP?
What, me worry?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2008, 02:42 AM

Sorry bro, that blows. Sharing email addresses seldom makes sense.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 08:48 AM

why in world would you share your email address. You should be mad at yourself for this foolish move and not gmail. Gmail is free and setting up your grandmother and her bridge club would have been free.
~Mike

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2008, 10:42 AM

Dude, apply again.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
and to make things easy
I often hear this very phrase before an almighty cock-up.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SebNoker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2008, 07:14 AM

Sorry to hear that, but best is to resend and explain what happened, or white lie to them, Ask tehm if theres a opening to contact you again....

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 03:40 PM

Maaaaany years ago, when I lived in Cape Town, I applied for a position at Y & R (as was).

I do remember coming home vry drunk one night, but I don't recall stuffing the letter asking me to come and see them down the back of my bed.

Where I found it several months later.

gahh!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Maaaaany years ago, when I lived in Cape Town, I applied for a position at Y & R (as was).

I do remember coming home vry drunk one night, but I don't recall stuffing the letter asking me to come and see them down the back of my bed.

Where I found it several months later.

gahh!
So the moral of your story is to sleep on a hammock.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 08:09 PM

Or, the moral of the story is that it makes us feel better if we can blame technology.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 10:02 PM

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Oct 25, 2008, 12:14 AM

Yesterday I was down in Bean town and stopped by TSP. They conformed (what I already knew) that the position had been filled but they would let me know if another one opens up.

However, while I was down there I recieved a call from the technology employee service I've been working with, and guess what? THEY HAD A NEW JOB FOR ME WHICH I QUICKLY EXCEPTED!

YAY!!! I'M FINALLY OUT OF RETAIL!!!

I'm going to be doing over the phone tech support for a private companies products. I'm so Happy right now I could everyone of you, even the jerks who rudely insinuated I was an idiot because I was trying to help my 87 year old, technologically unsavvy , grandmother with here e-mail.
What, me worry?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I often hear this very phrase before an almighty cock-up.
Almost as common as "watch this!.."
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 02:11 AM

YAY!!! I'M FINALLY OUT OF RETAIL!!!

I'm going to be doing over the phone tech support for a private companies products. I'm so Happy right now I could everyone of you, even the jerks who rudely insinuated I was an idiot because I was trying to help my 87 year old, technologically unsavvy , grandmother with here e-mail.
You are out of retail and into…

…phone support?

Wow. Congrats I guess.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2008, 09:17 AM

I'm so Happy right now I could everyone of you
I'm not sure whether your leaving that to the imagination is a good thing or not.

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm not sure whether your leaving that to the imagination is a good thing or not.
Woops, I forgot to put in the verb, it was supposed to be: "...shake hands with..."
What, me worry?

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 08:30 PM

gmail screws up my email a lot. many times I don't get the message

I'd be willing to pay for reliable email if I could find it....

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
I'd be willing to pay for reliable email if I could find it....
.me or get your own domain and web host.
~Mike

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2008, 09:27 PM

For anyone interested, this is the company I finally got a job with: http://www.dscicorp.com/
What, me worry?

Forum Links
Forum Rules