Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > I'll Take the High Road...

I'll Take the High Road...
subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 02:07 PM

Yeah, sure.

Anyone give a shit about Scotland?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 18, 2014, 02:09 PM

When was the last time we had a first world secession? Should be interesting to see the economic and social consequences in the aftermath should it succeed.

Otherwise, don't do it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 02:23 PM

I want them to do it just to see what happens.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 02:45 PM

I'm also curious if the vector has been closer and closer, thus making it a matter of time, regardless of today's vote, or is everybody sick of this shit

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2014, 02:46 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 02:46 PM

I suppose I thought about it twice, including the time I visited the forums here, just recently.

But I believe in freedom and independence, and daggammit if that's what they want then they should have it.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
My knee-jerk (accent on the jerk) response:

Nationalism is a scourge... except for British nationalism, that shit is the best!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 04:46 PM

45/47

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 05:52 PM

Meh. There are good arguments on both sides.

Personally, I'm in favor of breaking up big countries and governments. People will have more of a say in the daily affairs, because government bureaucracy is smaller.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2014, 07:26 PM

Perhaps ironically they might have less freedom if they choose independence. It will depend if they will get/keep EU membership instantly. If not, we might have to deport them all.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 07:40 PM

Perhaps ironically they might have less freedom if they choose independence. It will depend if they will get/keep EU membership instantly. If not, we might have to deport them all.
LOL, nobody these days wants EU membership anymore, unless you're a deadbeat country that needs ECB money.
For sure, there's no freedom In the EU. You'll dance to Germany's or Brussels's tune.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Meh. There are good arguments on both sides.

Personally, I'm in favor of breaking up big countries and governments. People will have more of a say in the daily affairs, because government bureaucracy is smaller.

-t
What I find interesting about this sentiment is its conflict with the old saying ... "You can't fight city hall." There seems to be this romanticized notion on the right regarding smaller government that's a lot closer to the people. And in theory there is merit to this position. But in practice you often find that dealing with the local government drives people just as if not more insane than dealing with the national government. Just saying ...

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And in theory there is merit to this position. But in practice you often find that dealing with the local government drives people just as if not more insane than dealing with the national government. Just saying ...
Again, meh. Driving insane is very subjective. Someone's ALWAYS driven insane in a democracy.

Show me ONE credible case where the quality of government got higher / better with increasing size.
Like, double the size, double the quality of representation, decision making, policies and outcome.

-t

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 12:16 AM

^^^

That's not my point. I'm saying the quality of government doesn't necessarily become better simply because it's smaller and closer. Case in point ... the DMV.

OAW

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 01:19 AM

**** you, Scotland. Way to ruin everybody's fun.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2014, 05:17 AM

Is there a correlation between the size of a government and the likelihood/level of corruption? I know the American right doesn't necessarily have a problem with government corruption of course, but it feels like a larger government might be more resistant to it.

I'm a bit of an idealist, while I accept that larger governments always tend to lead to more bureaucracy, I don't accept that it has to be this way. I also oppose putting up boundaries, we should be looking to remove them as a species.

You could argue that boundaries lead to more bureaucracy, as you then need to police borders, issue more passports, visas, work permits, check up on people who overstay, deport people etc etc.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2014, 07:36 AM

Is there a correlation between the size of a government and the likelihood/level of corruption? I know the American right doesn't necessarily have a problem with government corruption of course, but it feels like a larger government might be more resistant to it.
But the current history in the US illustrates the LEFTS CORRUPTION, trampling rights, ignoring large parts of the law they find gets in their way etc. your argument is BS!

I'm a bit of an idealist, while I accept that larger governments always tend to lead to more bureaucracy, I don't accept that it has to be this way. I also oppose putting up boundaries, we should be looking to remove them as a species.
What a load of tripe!

You could argue that boundaries lead to more bureaucracy, as you then need to police borders, issue more passports, visas, work permits, check up on people who overstay, deport people etc etc.
Open borders leads to an infiltration of terrorists, the sick, the gangs and more people who would need to be hunted down and kicked out.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 08:00 AM

"Yes" to more handouts from the UK, not surprising.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 08:13 AM

The fearmongering from politicians and banks was unbearable for many. They crapt their pants and voted NO.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
But the current history in the US illustrates the LEFTS CORRUPTION, trampling rights, ignoring large parts of the law they find gets in their way etc. your argument is BS!
Not sure much of that qualifies as corruption. Meanwhile didn't the Republicans just vote overwhelmingly to stop legislation that would make it harder for politicians to accept bribes?

What a load of tripe!
Yeah there I go again, caring about other people, hoping for the sort of global unity that would put an end to war and generally believing that things could be done better than they are at the moment. What tripe indeed.

Open borders leads to an infiltration of terrorists, the sick, the gangs and more people who would need to be hunted down and kicked out.
Those damned, job-stealing, plague-ridden, Canadian fundamentalists are everywhere eh?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2014, 10:16 AM

Well, that was fun.

Gotta agree with turtle - the stories I read were insane. It's not like Scotland was going to stop making scotch.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Well, that was fun.

Gotta agree with turtle - the stories I read were insane. It's not like Scotland was going to stop making scotch.
Or stop playing golf.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2014, 09:04 PM

LOL, seems like England took the vote into her own hands and secured the outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oRg-VKuE68

WTF ?

-t

Monique
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2014, 07:21 PM

Everyone that has a different identity from the majority.

Forum Links
Forum Rules