Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Leak wishlist

Leak wishlist
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2017, 10:30 PM

I want some interesting leaks, and think with this useless US government now is our best chance to get our hands on this info.

I want to know whether we've ever made contact with aliens. I want to know about Russia, Iraq, JFK, 911, all false flag operations, and Clinton's emails (although I can wait for this one until the right stops babbling about her every 5 seconds). Basically everything that has ever been a reasonable conspiracy theory (excluding flat earth, staged moon landing, and global warming hoax) I would like definitive conclusions on without just adding more layers of conspiracy.

Can't somebody close to Trump just tell him how great and awesome he is, get him to talk, and then release this to the public?

What is on your wishlist? This is a thread for conspiracy theory lovers...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2017, 11:09 PM

What bothers me is how no-one has managed to turn anyone at the IRS to get their hands on Trump's tax returns. How hard can it really be FFS?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Nov 22, 2017, 11:48 PM

A bit of speculation on Trump's returns not leaking from the IRS.

If Trump reported any illegal income, but paid the full taxes on it, then his return is sealed by law. If anyone leaked it from the IRS, it taints news of the illegal income, making it impossible to prosecute. And whoever leaked the return may spend time in jail.

----
For our non-USA members, or anyone not familiar with how this part of the US tax code works:

Tax returns end with a signature and date line. The signature certifies that the return is complete and accurate under penalty of perjury. If you fail to sign your return, you will eventually go to (minimum security) jail. They'll try to get back to you for a signature first. You'd have to keep refusing, but ultimately you *will* go to jail.

So you have to declare all income, including that bank robbery you got away with. But, we have this 5th Amendment thing. It is illegal to compel you to testify against yourself. Congress could resolve the conflicting laws by allowing you to not mention illegal income. They didn't do that. You have to declare all income, including illegal income.

If you declare it all honestly and pay the full taxes, your tax info is sealed at the IRS. If it leaked, it cannot be used against you in a court of law. And having it leak would taint any other investigation. Should you get charged, you can claim the investigators were tipped off by the tax leak. To keep their evidence, the prosecution would have to prove a negative: they fingered you completely independently, and ignored those headlines in the press. In practice, their evidence would be suppressed as inadmissable. No evidence = no case.

If you cheat on your taxes though, there's no sealing of your returns. Maybe you forgot the 2nd bank robbery. Maybe you shorted the IRS on the taxes. Either way, your tax info will be available and used against you. This is how Al Capone got taken down. He was beating all the other prosecution attempts, but he cheated on his taxes.

So if you rob that bank, be sure to pay the IRS every penny due. Declare it on the "other income" line. Unless there's enough to count as self-employment income, which you could declare on Schedule C (business return). btw, I am not a lawyer or tax attorney. So if you go to jail anyway, don't blame me.
( Last edited by reader50; Nov 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: clarity, disclaimer)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2017, 01:36 AM

Wait so if I declare and pay tax on it, its sealed and I can't be prosecuted for it (presumably unless I get found out via other investigative means), and if someone leaks it I still can't be prosecuted so leaking it makes little difference anyway?

That sounds like utter madness. Why do people launder money? Just pay tax on it and theres no issues surely? Most laundering operations probably charge similar commission anyway don't they?

Surely people don't write "$2,000,000 illegal income from cooking meth" on their tax returns and get away with it?

This aside, I always assumed that the interesting things about Trump's returns would be the nature of his business interests and I assume the many conflicts of interest rather than any of them necessarily being illegal in their own right.
I'm quite sure the American people would be interested to know if he paid tax on any declared illegal income too.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2017, 06:59 AM

I used a tax preparer for a filing once, and she mentioned: they have to attend a class on tax changes each year. And each year they review how to prepare a return for "Joe Joe the Drug Dealer". Mostly about what business expenses he's allowed to deduct that year.

But suppose Trump did declare some illegal income and paid the tax. The IRS can't leak it. But if Trump released it, that would count as a confession. Only the IRS' lips are sealed, and only if the return and taxes were all completed properly.

btw - I assume people launder money to avoid creating suspicious banking records. Those can get you caught. On the bright side, maybe you can deduct some of the laundry fee as a business expense.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2017, 08:30 AM

I was wondering about the bank records, but lets say the FBI check into your records and find out you've got way too much money for a self employed handyman in your accounts. That alone isn't a crime is it? They can ask you where you got it, but you're entitled to tell them its none of their business but in case they are interested you declared it all and paid all the taxes due on it. In which case maybe they can go look to see if it says "drug dealer" on your return, but all that does at best is give them an idea of what else to look for. And thats assuming your lawyer can't have anything after that dismissed from evidence as fruit of the poisonous tree since they aren't supposed to know/prosecute what your return says.

I gather expenses are more relevant to one's precise business in the US. If you write "pimp" on your return, can you claim medical costs for your hoes? Bling for your rep?
Can a hitman claim for ammo?
Where does this madness end?

Do you have to declare the precise nature of the illegal income? I assume a meth cooker doesn't claim back the sales tax on methyl amine or pseudo?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2017, 11:03 AM

I think the FBI can ask the IRS to do an audit, and the IRS can force a person to provide details.

Of course, if the person lies to the IRS, and the FBI finds out about it, joo going down man.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2017, 03:43 PM

I've read a little about it, but am certainly not an expert. Mostly I was laughing about it. From what I've picked up:

The IRS can audit your return. Audits on illegal income are tricky because it's hard to document everything. You provide the details, and they may call your accomplices to confirm amounts, dates, etc. But if it all checks out, your return remains sealed, along with the audit.

If the FBI spots something odd, like too much unexplained income, they can investigate. But if they ask the IRS for help and your return is sealed, the IRS declines. The investigators have to make their case without any info from the tax side.

Illegal business expenses can be deducted if they're normal for a small business, but not if they further crime. Examples: bribes to officials are not deductible. Legal fees are deductible because people are presumed innocent, and small businesses end up in court often enough. I expect ammo for hits is not deductible. Laundry fees might be. Vehicle mileage to the bank probably is, as travel costs are normal for small businesses.

Here's one source. Wikipedia has a page too.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2017, 06:22 PM

Imagine a superhero who steals money from the super-rich and corporations who avoid paying their taxes, just so he can declare it and pay the tax on it that they didn't for the good of society:

reader50
Administrator
Nov 23, 2017, 07:03 PM

^^^ I would watch that show.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2017, 11:03 PM

I guess he'd have to be called 'Tax Man'.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2017, 11:30 PM

If it’s more on the gritty end of superhero drama, his superpower would be to make himself rapidly dead.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2017, 12:13 AM

For tax purposes?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 12:28 AM

For tax purposes of the people who paid the people to put him into multiple hefty bags and bury them in the desert.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 24, 2017, 12:47 AM

His superpower would need to be resurrection, after a random delay.

Corporate thugs break down the door, commence quick work with railroad spikes. "Leave your better's money alone!". Three bags buried in shallow graves by a desert road.

Next week. Three graves sink. TaxMan reappears somewhere random. Sans clothes, terminator style. Populated locations most of the time.

"Damn, I gotta get better locks." -- commences running from the redneck mob. But his superpower isn't running, so the coroner notices an empty freezer an hour later.

Random reappearance in a closed bank vault.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 01:13 AM

Hmmm... that makes it tougher.

Keep him in a coma?

reader50
Administrator
Nov 24, 2017, 04:09 AM

Well, he'll be in trouble when they open the vault in the morning. On the other hand, he could pick up something incidental. Later in the episode, that something will be the key to the latest scumbag tax evader. Because they have a deposit box at this bank.

... yes, keeping him alive is an obvious strategy. He'd have to keep suicide means on him. And have a large inventory of spare costumes. Perhaps a sidekick pretending to be an enemy, whose job is to grease him out of captivity situations. The audience may not learn about the sidekick role until the end of the first season. Before that, they'll take her for a hitwoman with a contract.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 02:09 PM

I was wondering whether the cyanide tooth needs to be replaced every time, or does it fix itself with each resurrection.

There’s also got to be, like, an Enochian ward or something which will mess with his resurrection mojo.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2017, 12:36 AM

I was wondering if it could be a modern reimagining of Robin Hood. Our hero would be Lord Locksleigh instead of Robin and use his Lordly status to get onto the boards of large corporations making it easier to uncover their tax dodging and gain access to their systems for thievery purposes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2017, 08:22 PM

The FSBs file on Trump

Forum Links
Forum Rules