Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Finder sidebar

Finder sidebar
leira
Oct 26, 2004, 04:41 PM

is there a setting somewhere that will enable me to hide the sidebar and keep the toolbar in all finder windows by default?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 05:44 PM

In addition to moving/dragging the vertical divider all the way to the left (the one with the "dot" on it just to the right of the Sidebar, you can turn off viewing the Sidebar: option+cmd+T. ...or click that little oblong button in the top right corner of the window and you'll get rid of the window's Sidebar � and the window's borders � as well as the Sidebar.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

leira  (op)
Oct 26, 2004, 05:56 PM

all these methods only do one folder at a time. I'm trying to find a method that will set a default behavior for ALL finder windows. ie. when i open a folder i have never opened before(recently mounted filesystems), the sidebar is not visible.

or click that little oblong button in the top right corner of the window
that also kills the toolbar, which i actually use.

thank you for your time.

zachs
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:07 PM

Double-click the knob on the vertical divider between the sidebar and the icon view. Then close the button by clicking the Close button. (Do not use Command-W, or anything else.)

mikemako
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Double-click the knob on the vertical divider between the sidebar and the icon view..
Will that make it so all finder windows will by default open that way?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by mikemako:
Will that make it so all finder windows will by default open that way?
can't hurt to try...
cpac

leira  (op)
Oct 26, 2004, 10:18 PM

Double-click the knob on the vertical divider between the sidebar and the icon view. Then close the button by clicking the Close button. (Do not use Command-W, or anything else.)
nope doesn't work. there's gotta be a plist somewhere that controls the visibility of certain freatues. anyone care to guess where it might be?

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 10:29 PM

yes, i've been trying to find out how to do this for the longest time.

also, sorry to piggyback on this thread, but how do u set the default view of the files in finder to "List"?

i can set it to either the split screen or the icons view, but not the list.
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 08:52 PM

Actually, I'd be happy with being able to have the toolbar and sidebar hidden by default. Just the "simple" window that you get by pressing the oval button (does it have a name?). Anyone know how to do that? And yeah, list view by default would be great.

Also, sometimes windows that I configure to my liking stay that way, and sometimes they revert to default (sidebar, toolbar, icon view). I haven't figured out the pattern yet, except for a few windows (Computer, iDisk) that never remember a configuration. Anyone know what's going on with this?

Alex

Forum Links
Forum Rules