Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Memory for Powermac dual 2.7GHz... CL3-3-3-8, ok..?

Memory for Powermac dual 2.7GHz... CL3-3-3-8, ok..?
daiSho
Forum Regular
May 20, 2005, 08:31 PM

hey all... i recently bought a dual 2.7GHz tower and had quite a few issues w/ KP's and crashes under Tiger, and finally gave up and installed 10.3.9 on the box. after dropping back to 10.3.9 all seems pretty much normal, but i am still wondering whether i have a problem or incompatibility w/ my memory modules... i have 8 x 1GB modules made by OCZ, PC3200 w/specs of CL3-3-3-8, should memory w/ these specs work in a Powermac?

i can run the hardware testing disk w/out any issues or errors, and have run the 'memtest' program as well multiple times... all tests seem to pass, but some have warned me that these programs are not 100% correct all the time, so i am on the fence as to whether my memory is ok or not. i have another week to return the memory, so was hoping someone might be able to direct me towards any other methods for testing the modules? are there any other tests i could try out, or any "torture testing" sessions i could run (extended media encoding jobs, etc.)... i'd really like to make sure this memory is ok before i pass the return date, so any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thx in advance all..!

lilrabbit129
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 08:53 PM

Put the memory that came with the machine in and upgrade to tiger. IF the KP's stop then you can put the other modules back. Once the KP's return then you know it's the memory modules.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by daiSho
hey all... i recently bought a dual 2.7GHz tower and had quite a few issues w/ KP's and crashes under Tiger, and finally gave up and installed 10.3.9 on the box. after dropping back to 10.3.9 all seems pretty much normal, but i am still wondering whether i have a problem or incompatibility w/ my memory modules... i have 8 x 1GB modules made by OCZ, PC3200 w/specs of CL3-3-3-8, should memory w/ these specs work in a Powermac?
If the RAM has the right voltage and timing programmed in SPD but often unless it is "mac compatible" you are taking a chance. I always check Crucial's specs first.

MacGurus has 1GB CL2.5 $118 and a friend of mine is running his 2.7DP with 8GB and 10.4.1.

reader50
Administrator
May 21, 2005, 06:35 AM

It would be helpful if you posted the kernel panic log. It gets saved to:
/Library/Logs/panic.log

Bad RAM is a favorite suspect for causing panics. However, there are other possible causes, such as mixed up permissions. It would be nice if you have a 2nd partition or a 2nd hard drive so you can boot between Panther and Tiger while troubleshooting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules