Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Do You Max Out Your Iphone?

Do You Max Out Your Iphone?
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2011, 02:24 AM

There are so many great features packed into such a tiny device. The question is, how much utility do you actually get out of them?

1. GPS: I already have a gps that works quite well. Do you actually use the iphone4 gps while driving? Is there special mounting hardware for this device so you can use it while driving? Is it as fast and accurate as a stand-alone GPS?

2. the video recorder. I am currently shopping for a pocket camera. With these, you can mount them on a tripod and shoot video, as with a camcorder. The iphone doesn't have a tripod mount--doesn't this limit it's effectiveness as a camcorder?

3. the camera. I'm sure it's great, but I have my doubts about whether a 5 mpixel can compete with a 12 or 14 mpixel stand alone camera.

Those are just a few of the touted features, which if you examine them closer, may not be as useful as their stand-alone, dedicated device competitors.

Iphone owners and users chime in.
( Last edited by mackandproud; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:13 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2011, 02:46 AM

1) google it? I use the TomTom mount.

2) google it? There's dozens. Gorillapod looks kinda neat.

3) er, duh? What the hell do you expect? Google for examples. It's a great camera for a phone, IMO. As for usefulness, I have a 3GS, and its camera is WAY more useful than my stand-alone, because a camera that's at home on the desk is kind of useless if you happen to be somewhere else.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2011, 04:17 PM

1. I use the built-in (MB Command) of my car
2. Sure, I record movies with the iPhone, enough for me
3. The iPhone camera is handy for many moments

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
3. the camera. I'm sure it's great, but I have my doubts about whether a 5 mpixel can compete with a 12 or 14 mpixel stand alone camera.

Those are just a few of the touted features, which if you examine them closer, may not be as useful as their stand-alone, dedicated device competitors.
The 5 Megapixel camera in the iPhone can't even compete with a standalone 5 MP camera. However, even though I have an 18 MP Canon EOS 7D dSLR, and and an 8 MP Canon EOS 20D. I use the iPhone 4's camera all the time.

Cuz I don't walk around everywhere with a dSLR in my pocket.

Similarly, I have a way nicer GPS in my car, but I don't carry it everywhere.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2011, 05:09 PM

I don't max out my iPhone 3GS as I don't use it as a GPS device and I don't use it as camera, less video recording device.

Eug: sell those Canon; buy a Leica M8; carry it everywhere. Success !!

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2011, 11:56 PM

My concern is that when I buy an iphone, I'll use it almost exclusively as a phone, due to overlapping features with other, superior specialized devices. Hence, my desire to stick with the lower cost 16 gb, which just sounds right and seems right to me. I just get irritated by the very strong likelihood that something clearly better will be available in just a few months.

I'm leaning towards waiting now. Perhaps AT&T will have a 32 gb as the intro model by then.

What would be really irritating is if AT&T held off many months so that v's iphone users would get more use out of their iphone4's before the inevitable upgrade introduction.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2011, 03:12 AM

My experience is that the other specialized devices get less and less use.

My iPod classic is probably the last iPod I'll ever buy.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2011, 08:14 AM

I use the GPS all the time. My last car had a built in GPS, which set me back close to $2k. That's insane. I use the Just Mobile Lounge stand. Looks and works great.

Video camera, the iPhone camera is remarkably capable, especially in decent light. No, it doesn't replace a DSLR, but I rarely carry a DSLR with me. I use an OWLE Bubo and a generic shotgun mike as an always with me shooting rig.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2011, 12:10 PM

I use the GPS for a number of things-I even have a GPS app so I can explicitly save waypoints. Of course the GPS app I use (MotionX) is exceptionally dependent on phone service to get it to actually use the satellite data, but it's still useful for areas with phone coverage.

I use both the still and video cameras for "hey, I need a picture/video of that!" moments. Of course I have higher resolution still cameras and a much better video camera, but when I'm just wandering around I don't want to have a ton of stuff with me "just in case."

The more important features that I depend on include integrated mail/phone address book functionality, a decent mobile browser, integrated mapping that used GPS AND my address book to synthesize useful displays (and near-real time traffic display to boot). And there are a number of apps that use combinations of features, such as the camera and GPS to provide extremely useful functionality, like barcode scanners that find the best price for an item in my local area...

I can also confidently say that my iPhone has made it possible for me to manage job searches and employment paperwork quite efficiently. Maybe I don't use all the features, but I use a bunch of them every day.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2011, 03:52 PM

Hey, great comments from everyone. This lessens the sticker shock as I am somewhat unused to the idea of paying $200 or $300 for a phone.

One area where the iphone definitely competes is with the video camera. 720hd is on par with just about anything offered in it's price range.

I wish I were rich so I didn't have to concern myself with piddling details such as a "budget." Ha!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2011, 04:33 PM

If you were rich, you'd have a gold cased (not gold plated case) Vertu phone...

Real people with real lives need the kind of utility that an iPhone provides. It's not the master of all tasks, but it is no slouch at what people use in their lives.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2011, 07:41 PM

If he were rich and important, he wouldn't carry a cellphone. He'd have others do the telephone thing for him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules