Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Help Me Enjoy My Pocket Camera!

Help Me Enjoy My Pocket Camera!
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2011, 11:51 PM

I got a canon powershot as a gift. It's a basic camera, well south of $200. I've taken it out a couple of times and shot a few pictures. I found the process oddly dull. Perhaps I was disappointed by the picture quality (yes, a little bit).

For reasons which escape me, I just don't care if I have a photo of social events. It doesn't add to the enjoyment. Plus, I find posing for pictures to be a nuisance: just standing there with a fake smile. Then getting irritated once more by the flash.

What visceral pleasure do people get from their cameras and photos? Do I need to move up to one of the bigger, bulkier cameras with better picture quality to enjoy this process?

I just don't get any great pleasure out of using my pocket camera, which is odd, since i enjoy tech toys just about as much as anyone. Help!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2011, 11:57 PM

The pleasure is in challenging yourself to take pictures that *aren't* dull. You don't need a bulkier camera, just make certain you take photos that are within the abilities of *your* camera; you aren't going to be getting photos with much bokeh (sharp subject, blurry background), but you will be able to take excellent landscapes and macro shots ... in some cases better than most basic DLSR kits.

Learn the abilities of your camera and challenge yourself to push that camera to it's edge.

However, don't confuse the love of photography with the love of gadgets. Photography is an art and, as a result, it isn't going to appeal to all tech junkies.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2011, 12:40 AM

Your subject answers your post: enjoy your pocket camera! A better camera won't make you a better photographer. A crappy camera doesn't hold back a great photographer.

Read up on composition and lighting; they're infinitely more important than the camera.

Also maybe upgrade your friends.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2011, 03:59 AM

Also, the trick to taking pictures of people, is NOT to pose for them. As you noticed, they're boring--unless you're an experienced photographer and know how to make art out of it. Try to shoot people when they don't know you're taking a picture of them. If they know, even if they're not posing and just talking to other people, they'll stiffen up for the picture. So try to shoot them when they don't know and capture certain qualities of their character. They turn out to be much more interesting pictures.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2011, 03:59 PM

Another way to look at it is the difference between "snapshots" and "photos".

What you're describing sounds like snapshots. A snapshot is like writing a note, and just like writing a note, isn't a hugely gratifying experience in and of itself.

Carrying out the analogy, taking a photo is more like drawing a picture. It's a challenge, and you have to think about it beforehand. You can't just direct-drive your brain into the pencil like you can when you're writing text.

Does that make sense?
( Last edited by subego; Jan 22, 2011 at 04:21 PM. )

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2011, 04:19 PM

mackandproud, What are things you care about, and are any of those able to be visually captured? What I love about photography is that I can capture things that I love, like a sunset in my beautiful environment, or my dog in some adorable moment, or people I care about captured unsuspectingly just being themselves. (And no, I do not embarrass people.)

If you don't have that visual interest in capturing stuff to look at and show others, maybe you are barking up the wrong tree, not everyone wants to take pictures, just as not everyone wants to write down interesting events.

The Canon Powershot is quite a good camera, my wife has taken some stunning pix with hers.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2011, 03:36 AM

One thing I really like about the camera is the hd video recording capability. Alas, it only records up to 10 minutes at a time. What kind of shite is that?!?

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2011, 03:55 AM

Get a bigger memory card. Video fills them up fast.

note: you might also be hitting a 4 GB per file limitation, courtesy of the FAT filesystem used on SD cards. If so, a bigger card won't help. Check the resulting file size after the video finishes recording.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2011, 04:54 AM

A canon rep already told me the 10 minute limit is due to the camera, not the sd card. This seems like a terrible idea. Doesn't canon realize that concerts, sports events, talks and millions of other things worth recording run longer than 10 minutes????

It seems as though I can record longer than 10 minutes of video, but only in the non hd setting.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2011, 07:44 PM

It looks like I really enjoy shooting hd video, but am not that interested in snapping photos.

Part of the issue is that I am not that thrilled with the picture quality of the photos I take. This is almost certainly due at least in part to the fact that I am taking most of the photos in low light situations indoors or outdoors at night when I have free time.

I'll take a few photos when I have a chance during the day to see if I can get better results. Overall, since the camera is small and convenient (and quite inexpensive to replace if I have to at well under $200), I might as well keep it, for occasional use.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2011, 03:13 AM

Looks like I'm returning the camera. I'm really disappointed by the quality of the photos. The camera itself looks nice; wish I could say as much for the photos it takes.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
I got a canon powershot as a gift. It's a basic camera, well south of $200. I've taken it out a couple of times and shot a few pictures. I found the process oddly dull. Perhaps I was disappointed by the picture quality (yes, a little bit).

For reasons which escape me, I just don't care if I have a photo of social events. It doesn't add to the enjoyment. Plus, I find posing for pictures to be a nuisance: just standing there with a fake smile. Then getting irritated once more by the flash.

What visceral pleasure do people get from their cameras and photos? Do I need to move up to one of the bigger, bulkier cameras with better picture quality to enjoy this process?

I just don't get any great pleasure out of using my pocket camera, which is odd, since i enjoy tech toys just about as much as anyone. Help!
What kind of pictures do you like?

Why do you think you have to use the camera like anybody else?

If you're happy photographing smashed soda cans on the highway embankment or roadkill or street crossings or landscapes, do that.

If you don't, regift your camera. You don't have to take photos.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 01:32 AM

Looks like I'm returning the camera. I'm really disappointed by the quality of the photos. The camera itself looks nice; wish I could say as much for the photos it takes.
If you'd like to try something with more character, try a Lomo. Lomography is a big movement. I think they even have a digital Lomo now.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 5, 2011, 02:35 AM

Before you return it, could you link to a few sample shots from it? Original shots, with the EXIF data intact. The picture quality may be something we can figure out. Shot settings perhaps, or even a manufacturer defect - the camera might be bad.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2011, 05:03 AM

I'll try to post a couple of photos soon. The picture quality is pretty sketchy, so I am not exactly proud of the photos produced. It may be because:

1. I am shooting at night or in low light indoor situations.

2. I am shooting vistas and panoramas rather than the stereotypical 'party night out' photos with two drunk friends standing a couple of feet in front of the camera.

There could be other factors. There are rumors that this camera is now manufactured with a plastic, rather than glass lens.

There are plenty of reviews, and the most recent ones are very poor. This is a canon powershot 1400 for reference.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2011, 02:41 PM

Priorities:

1. enjoying the event sans video/camera equipment

2. shooting video

3. taking pictures.

I could combine 1 and 2 by getting a tripod, but I can't really carry around a tripod all the time, you know. Also, in the time it takes to rewatch the video I took, I could be out having more new experiences.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2011, 02:49 PM

yes, you've hit on the photographers dilemma and have clearly answered your own question. Turf the camera; not everyone is a photographer.
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Feb 5, 2011 at 02:56 PM. )

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2011, 06:48 PM

I find that one of my major motivations taking pix/video is to share with others. Eg, neighbor brought her 3 dogs over, who promptly and smartly discovered the bed in the guest room, great pix, for the owner, since I already saw the scene!

Forum Links
Forum Rules