Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple CD-RW Does it work?

Apple CD-RW Does it work?
potentate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2001, 03:21 AM

I have a G4 667 with an Apple (supplied) CD-RW drive. The system
will burn CDs just fine.

My question: does Apple supply software to burn a rewritable CD
in either OS9 or X?

Thanks in advance

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 04:09 AM

umm...why don't you just try it with a CD-RW? it sounds like you've already burned some CD-R's, so if you have an RW laying around, stick it in and see if it works. i believe discburner will work with CD-R's as well as CD-RW's. sorry i can't know for sure from experience; i never buy CD-RW's, just CD-R's.

so, if you say it burns CD-R's fine, then it should burn RW-'s fine, and if you burned CD-R's already, then that means you already have the software needed...unless i totally misunderstood your question (it 's pretty late over here, and i'm not sure if i'm completely awake right now ...

tr

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2001, 01:12 PM

You can burn CD-RWs the same way as CD-Rs. If you want to erase an RW, select it then go to Erase Disk under "special".

potentate  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2002, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by tr:
<STRONG>umm...why don't you just try it with a CD-RW? it sounds like you've already burned some CD-R's, so if you have an RW laying around, stick it in and see if it works. i believe discburner will work with CD-R's as well as CD-RW's. sorry i can't know for sure from experience; i never buy CD-RW's, just CD-R's.

so, if you say it burns CD-R's fine, then it should burn RW-'s fine, and if you burned CD-R's already, then that means you already have the software needed...unless i totally misunderstood your question (it 's pretty late over here, and i'm not sure if i'm completely awake right now ...

tr</STRONG>

Thanks for your response. I guess the basis of my question is my background with the RW discs created with windows based products
like Direct CD from Roxio. The RW feature lets you copy, erase and
move files on a Re-Writeable CD just like a (very slow) mass
storage device.

I did as a matter of fact use the burn function and it does work, but I
hoping that I could do the same as on a PC without purchasing
Titanium.

thanks,

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2002, 12:26 PM

oh, okay, i understand now. you want to be able to use an RW on your mac like a storage device, by using some sort of packet writing (or at least multi-session writing ) to the disk like DirectCD.

there is a version of DirectCD for mac, but it's pretty old, and i'm sure it doesn't run on X. plus, i don't think X can read UDF formated discs, at least my G4 450 with retail Superdrive can't. OS 9 can read UDF formatted discs if you have the UDF volume access extension (which is available at the Roxio site).

so i guess what your looking for is some sort of packet writing software or at least multi-session software...well, i don't think apple's discburner can do that stuff, so i suppose toast is the only way to go. on a side note, i did find this on the roxio site:
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/dcdmac/index.html

either way, i think you're going to have to buy some extra software

good luck

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules