Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New keynote pictures (from Japan)

New keynote pictures (from Japan)
digdog
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 06:21 AM

Take a look, guys.
http://macfannet.mycom.co.jp/special...02_photo1.html
http://macfannet.mycom.co.jp/special...02_photo2.html

Lots of screenshot we didn't see on other sites, such as
Finder Integrated search
Sherlock III Pictures searching
ZoomView

and... Rack-Mounted Server

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: digdog ]

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 06:32 AM

Wow, those shots show a lot more than I've seen yet. Excellent stuff. After seeing these I'm pretty sure the iChat mystery button does involve turning off the bubbles, it also shows that Sherlock III looks a lot like Watson. I think the best shot is the Rendevous shot though...from the pic it's obvious that iTunes can now share Libraries and playlists across the network which is awesome imho. This just paves the road for an Apple hub device of some sort to hook up to the entertainment center.

-matt

SYN
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 06:36 AM

the RendezVous integration with iTunes is definitely something I'm looking forwards too... And will definitely piss the RIAA, but that's a Good Thing tm.

I'm anxiously awaiting to see what specs the racks will have, this will surely be a sign of things to come in the towers.
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 06:50 AM

Even the most vocal pro-aqua, anti-brushedmetal i-petition pushing activist has to admit the new calculator skin looks better!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 06:55 AM

I didn't realise that there was a new search dialog box in the finder. This means no need to use this crappy Sherlock anymore. I am very happy

oeyvind
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 07:32 AM

Seem to me Aqua's font change from Lucinda Grande to Myriad Pro???

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 07:42 AM

The find dialog: Great idea! Maybe we should rename the entire application around this - I call it... Finder!

Metal Calculator: The caption says "Developer Tool Kit", so I think this was just a demo of the fact that you can click a button to build your app as a "metal" app. I don't think calculator actually changed.

Rendezvous / iTunes Sharing: Just awesome. Guaranteed to get Apple in trouble, though. The fact that the picture shows "Library", and "Jeff's Library", kind of indicates it's not just for using your personal library on multiple Macs in your home...

Sherlock: Very very spiffy. Still a shame they ripped off Watson.

ZoomView: I hope they *also* have a Zoom-window option. Seems difficult to keep your overall context with the full-screen zoom.

Rackmount: Discussion best left to other forums, I think.

Great pictures!

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 08:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
[QB]Even the most vocal pro-aqua, anti-brushedmetal i-petition pushing activist has to admit the new calculator skin looks better!

Couldn't agree more. I like the brush metal, it looks good.

BZ

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 08:35 AM

I love how they put NDA in BIG letters over the shot of the Jaguar CD, like as if the Developers in the audiance nead reminding

Great pictures The rackmount looks just about right, utilatarian but with a High quailiy finish.

This was intended to be the small thumnail pic, but IE on the PC doesn't have a 'copy url of image to clipboard' in it's right click menu. Lack of a spellchecker is also a problem, ggrrrr! I hate using a PC at work.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Mediaman_12 ]

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 08:43 AM

Great stuff.

The Find window is just like the pre-Sherlock Find, just prettier. And I have to say, I preferred it back then. I would like to be able to right-click on a folder and say 'search here', though.

The lined notepad background for Ink input is cool. Things like that make Quartz worthwhile.

The zooming too looks mighty impressive. Does it mean you can run your screen in 1600x1200 but have 1024x768-style sizing, or is only for scrolling around...??

Somebody test this stuff!!

Chris

kman42
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 09:50 AM

Just a point of clarification: there are now two Finder finds. One is integrated into a Finder window and searches the current directory. The other is command-F which brings up a nice simple file find. Correct?

Rendezvous/iTunes: that is about the coolest thing I have seen in an OS in quite a while. The potential uses of Rendezvous are amazing. As a bonus, I like to see Apple sticking it to the RIAA, but I don't think that iTunes feature will ever see the light of day, unless only one of person can play a song at a time (?). Any other thoughts on potential uses of Rendezvous or how Apple is planning to get around 'personal use' of MP3s.

I hope everyone takes note of that iChat button that appears to toggle the dialog buttons. A lot of people will be happy about that.

kman

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 10:07 AM

new itunes looks kool, but i'd like to see sub playlist. Like u could have a electronic list, then in it have 20 sub playlist for mixes or cd rips in it bu clicking a aroww to have em drop down.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>Even the most vocal pro-aqua, anti-brushedmetal i-petition pushing activist has to admit the new calculator skin looks better!</STRONG>
If that's it, real, live, then that's a GUI disaster waiting to happen. How can you start going from "stoplight" buttons to uncoloured ones in the same "theme" - unless perhaps this is because the window is inactive?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by oeyvind:
<STRONG>Seem to me Aqua's font change from Lucinda Grande to Myriad Pro???</STRONG>
Aqua still use Lucida Grande, but Apple seems to be in the process of replacing Apple Garamond with Myriad as their corporate font.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Clive:
<STRONG>
- unless perhaps this is because the window is inactive?</STRONG>
Bingo.

See also my post above, noting that this was likely a demonstration to developers of the ease of compiling your app as a "textured" app. The real calculator may or may not have changed.

Clive
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>Even the most vocal pro-aqua, anti-brushedmetal i-petition pushing activist has to admit the new calculator skin looks better!</STRONG>
If that's it, real, live, then that's a GUI disaster waiting to happen. How can you start going from "stoplight" buttons to uncoloured ones in the same "theme" - unless perhaps this is because the window is inactive?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2002, 02:27 PM

Great pictures, thanks !

the Jaguar�s cd case looks very nice... and very nice is the fact that the new racked servers looks like the new front of Renault Vel Satis (a french luxury car). Renault has, in Europe, a little car named Clio Apple, and yes, it has a multicolor Apple logo :-D

just curiosity, look that grille, http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/velsatis.htm

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>new itunes looks kool, but i'd like to see sub playlist. Like u could have a electronic list, then in it have 20 sub playlist for mixes or cd rips in it bu clicking a aroww to have em drop down.</STRONG>
I couldn't agree more, I know this is off topic, but it would make iTunes that much cooler.

-matt

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 8, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
<STRONG>

I couldn't agree more, I know this is off topic, but it would make iTunes that much cooler.

-matt</STRONG>
What I wanna know is if the iTunes and QT6 GUI are still hacks? They're both carbon apps (unless this changed really recently) and both can't do live resize.

To my knowledge, iDVD 2 and iPhoto both do live resize and the brushed-metal look isn't just a hack...the GUI is actually native now (I guess) for those cocoa apps.

I dunno...it would just look silly if apps still did outline-resizing after Quartz Extreme was introduced. Sure, this would suck for the people that won't be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme...but I think it kinda sucks that my GeForce 2 MX won't be able to handle Doom 3.

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 8, 2002, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
<STRONG>

-matt</STRONG>
What I wanna know is if the iTunes and QT6 GUI are still hacks? They're both carbon apps (unless this changed really recently) and both can't do live resize.

To my knowledge, iDVD 2 and iPhoto both do live resize and the brushed-metal look isn't just a hack...the GUI is actually native now (I guess) for those cocoa apps.

I dunno...it would just look silly if apps still did outline-resizing after Quartz Extreme was introduced. Sure, this would suck for the people that won't be able to take advantage of Quartz Extreme...but I think it kinda sucks that my GeForce 2 MX won't be able to handle Doom 3.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
[QB]

To my knowledge, iDVD 2 and iPhoto both do live resize and the brushed-metal look isn't just a hack.
Why is brushed metal a hack in Carbon but not a hack in Cocoa apps?

By the way, I think iDVD doesn't even have a brushed metal appearance, and I know a lot of people who would be happy if iPhoto would do outlined window resizing.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

HamSandwich
May 8, 2002, 04:27 PM

iDVD and iPhoto are cocoa apps, but the developer tools were not available back then, so it is possible that those are still hacks. Yet, since it is an inhouse apple development, it is also possible to be native.

Since Apple dropped OS 9, the new iTunes version is (I hope) only cocoa with native interface. Heck, that meant dbl scrollbars will come in it =&gt; yeah :-)))

Then, I do not know about iMovie. Apple did not say anything about this one for quite a long time. Yet, a new version may appeal to many people.

A friend of mine told me recently that he managed to hack in iPhoto and turn brushed metal off. If this is true, there would be utilities soon to disable brushed metal in AdressBook and the iApps.

Steve

macanonymous
May 8, 2002, 04:58 PM

Is that *really* what the rack mount servers are going to look like? Anyone else have any pictures?

a holck
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 05:05 PM

Iphoto is a hack!

The metal interface is:

Iphoto/contents/ressources/new-metal-texture.tif

Guy Incognito
Banned
May 8, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by a holck:
<STRONG>Iphoto is a hack!

The metal interface is:

Iphoto/contents/ressources/new-metal-texture.tif</STRONG>
Crap...so the whole brushed-metal interface is just one big ugly hack.

Developer said that some people would be happy if iPhoto did outline-resizing. Yeah...it would make lots of people happy. I'm guessing live-resizing of the brushed-metal window is extremely slow because of the blending and redrawing of the darker textures on the left and right edge of the window with the lighter metal texture in the middle...I hope that'll be fixed through Quartz Extreme though.

I too am hoping the next iTunes (iTunes 3 perhaps?) will be cocoa. Or at least have live-resize just for consistency's sake.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 06:17 PM

Just a quick question about spring loaded folders. I see the picture shows column view for spring loaded folders, and that is nice and would work great, but is there an normal icon view implementation? I would imagine so, but I haven't seen anything confirming it. Only confirming spring loaded folders.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
<STRONG>Just a quick question about spring loaded folders. I see the picture shows column view for spring loaded folders, and that is nice and would work great, but is there an normal icon view implementation? I would imagine so, but I haven't seen anything confirming it. Only confirming spring loaded folders.</STRONG>
I dunno where I read it, but I'm almost 100% sure that spring loaded folders work in all 3 views.

Forum Links
Forum Rules