Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to set up Time Machine to backup to two disks to a server

How to set up Time Machine to backup to two disks to a server
ChangeAgent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2018, 04:28 AM

I run a MM (Mac Mini) in my internal network that is used as a server. At present my 2 MBP’ backup via TM to it.

I am wanting to redo my backup strategy and want to have TM use two disks connected to the MM to backup to. I have found instructions how to do this if the HD is directly connected to the MBP but non as to how to do this on a network disk.

Anybody know how to do this or where to find the info?

Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 28, 2018, 05:11 AM

What are you trying for exactly? For each MBP to backup to a different disk? Or for both MBPs to alternate, so you have duplicate TM backups?

If the first case, mount both external HDs on your Mac Mini. On each MBP, select the shared disc intended for that notebook.

If the 2nd case, it's probably easiest to format the externals on the Mac Mini as a single RAID-1 volume. Share that volume, point both notebooks to it.

ChangeAgent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2018, 05:33 AM

Thanks for your answer Reader50

What are you trying for exactly? For each MBP to backup to a different disk? Or for both MBPs to alternate, so you have duplicate TM backups?

Lets say Disk 1 (D1) and disk 2 (D) are connected to the MM in the network.
D1 and D2 each have a partition that MBP1 and MBP2 backup to individually (MBP1 to D1 and D2, MBP2 to D1 and D2).
As TM is capable (when the disks are directly connected to the MBP) to backup to two disks alternating between them.. hour one to D1, hour two to D2, hour three to D1, etc.
This is what I like to achieve while D1 and D2 are connected to the MM in the network. Am I clear here?

If the first case, mount both external HDs on your Mac Mini. On each MBP, select the shared disc intended for that notebook.
No not what I want.

If the 2nd case, it's probably easiest to format the externals on the Mac Mini as a single RAID-1 volume. Share that volume, point both notebooks to it.
If this indeed the solution to my problem I do not know how to do that. However I do not think it is what I want.

Forum Links
Forum Rules