Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Refurbished Dual 2 gig G5

Refurbished Dual 2 gig G5
caleach
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 01:29 PM

We received our refurbished dual 2 gig yesterday and setup went fine except the refurbished Airport card we also bought would not work. We took it downstairs to try in our 1.8 gig G5, also a refurb, and it wouldn't work there either.

We'll be calling Apple today to try to sort out the problem, thought this kind of thing only happened in the PC world.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by caleach:
thought this kind of thing only happened in the PC world.
Welcome to reality

Hope you get it sorted soon

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2004, 01:57 PM

Got my refurb 1.6 G5 yesterday. So far so good. Just as fast as my Dual 1.25 Ghz that I had except I paid $2500 for the Dual 1.25 and $1300 for the G5.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2004, 05:25 PM

We'll be calling Apple today to try to sort out the problem, thought this kind of thing only happened in the PC world.\
It still happens. But in the PC world it'll break 3 days after your warranty is up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2004, 01:28 PM

Reasoning for a wireless ethernet card in a desktop?

caleach  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 08:04 PM

The desktop is upstairs where we don't have an ethernet connection. We ended up returning the refurbished card to Apple and bought a new one at CompUSA, installed it and had no problem.

hostvisions
Mar 13, 2004, 09:37 PM

$hit happens, sometimes.

Sorry about your luck.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
Reasoning for a wireless ethernet card in a desktop?
Is that like cordless bungie-jumping?

samneric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2004, 01:51 PM

We received our refurbished dual 2 gig

Did it come with that airport external antenna?
Probably you already have it sticking off the back?

caleach  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2004, 10:13 PM

Yes, it has the antenna and it is installed. The new card is working perfectly. We now have a new problem and that is that the computer keeps freezing. We have read a lot of posts on the Appple discussion site and the community seems to feel that it is a problem with some sort of audio file that the system needs. I talked to Apple and they seemed unconvinced, instead blaming it on user mistakes and faulty software. I have not had them on the phone yet to walk through any thing. Right now my son is reinstalling 10.2, going backwards to see if that has any effect.

I will keep the group posted.

MacSI
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 12:56 AM

Maybe you have received the same refurb Airport card that I returned to Apple sometime in January (just joking, of course). I have experienced a more severe problem with my refurb G5 1.8 SP with a refurb Airport card: the machine will not boot when the card is inserted. It was determined (spent 45 minutes on the phone with the tech supports) to be the fault of the Airport card. It is likely that you have a bad card as well. I got a replacement card in about three days. Therefore, you may already have a working Airport card by the time you read this.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 05:07 AM

Yes, it has the antenna and it is installed. The new card is working perfectly. We now have a new problem and that is that the computer keeps freezing. We have read a lot of posts on the Appple discussion site and the community seems to feel that it is a problem with some sort of audio file that the system needs. I talked to Apple and they seemed unconvinced, instead blaming it on user mistakes and faulty software. I have not had them on the phone yet to walk through any thing. Right now my son is reinstalling 10.2, going backwards to see if that has any effect.

I will keep the group posted.
I would stick with the OS that came with the machine... 10.3 has certain features that are meant for the G5. And also G5 only updates have been released. I wold do a complete 'clean install' and use the option to write '0's to the drive first.

I think that trying 10.2 is a bad idea and will yield no more stability.

I would also look to the RAM, any PCI cards and the AGP card. Make sure they are all seated properly first. Then check the RAM, one stick at a time.

Repair permissions, FSCK, and then check disks etc.

Get the latest versions of the apps you use, or any updates (some graphics apps have specific G5 stability features and extensions...), and see what happens.

If you still have problems, I would bet on a hardware fault.

Also, are there any logs as to the crash? Are they makable on demand eg happen at a specific time or action? if so, you could diagnose of these...

Good luck,

Marc

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 11:42 AM

Maybe he means 10.2.7?

Nothing earlier will run on my G5. This is the version that shipped with my Dual 2.0

caleach  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 12:57 PM

Well, I spent some time on the phone with a very helpful Apple service tech and we looked at the logs and did some minor diagnositic and repair which cleared up the problem completely. We have also updated to 10.3.3 and so far there have been no problems what-so-ever.

everything is running very smooth and we are very happy with our purchase.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 01:12 PM

Well, I spent some time on the phone with a very helpful Apple service tech and we looked at the logs and did some minor diagnositic and repair which cleared up the problem completely. We have also updated to 10.3.3 and so far there have been no problems what-so-ever.

everything is running very smooth and we are very happy with our purchase.

Good to hear!

Forum Links
Forum Rules