Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sox win world series!!!!

Sox win world series!!!!
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 11:46 PM

Whhoooooaaaaa!!!!! no more curse, congrats for bostonians!!!!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 27, 2004, 11:47 PM

8 games in a row. Impressive.

Go Red Sox!

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:50 PM

i know just about as much as baseball as, well, i can't think of a good analogy. so whats so big about the red sox winning the world series? was this the team that betted on themselves to lose or something?

maxx9photo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 11:53 PM

86 years worth to wait isn't it?

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:55 PM

1. They had the second longest drought in the mlb (86 years is a long time)
2. They made one of the greatest come backs in mlb history to get there (coming back from and 0-3 deficit and beating the Yankees in pressure packed games several times to win the series 4-3) as well as setting the record for most consecutive victories in a post season (8)
3. The Red Sox only made the playoffs because of the new mid 1990's rule that allowed a fourth team to make the playoffs as a wild card (before that, only 3 teams made the playoffs from the 2 conferences), and they beat the team with the best record in baseball that year
4. They shutout (no runs allowed) an offense that was considered to be the most efficient and dangerous in all of baseball.
5. Curt Shilling pitching two games with a tendon ready to rupture in his ankle.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
1. They had the second longest drought in the mlb (86 years is a long time)
2. They made one of the greatest come backs in mlb history to get there (coming back from and 0-3 deficit and beating the Yankees in pressure packed games several times to win the series 4-3) as well as setting the record for most consecutive victories in a post season (8)
3. The Red Sox only made the playoffs because of the new mid 1990's rule that allowed a fourth team to make the playoffs as a wild card (before that, only 3 teams made the playoffs from the 2 conferences), and they beat the team with the best record in baseball that year
4. They shutout (no runs allowed) an offense that was considered to be the most efficient and dangerous in all of baseball.
5. Curt Shilling pitching two games with a tendon ready to rupture in his ankle.
6. They got homefield advantage because Bud Selig is a piece of garbage.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:57 PM

I wonder if they can keep it up. now that the curse is lifted.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:59 PM

Oh certainly. 2005 will be the year. Again.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

I love this ****ing game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 28, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
I wonder if they can keep it up. now that the curse is lifted.
See ya back here in 2090.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:03 AM

My wife HATES baseball but she watched EVERY game and is practically crying now. And we aren't even from Boston. Great story...

Congratulations Boston!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:06 AM

sure is a lot better than the yankees "buying" another championship.....i love seeing those old "curses" and ghosts fall....boston deserved to win it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:33 AM

1918, Babe & The Curse�, Pesky's clutch, the heart wrenching loss of 1975, boo boo Buckner et al in '86, "Who's Your Daddy," IS ALL ****ING HISTORY BABY!

HOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEE!

The Boston RED SOX are 2004 WORLD CHAMPS!

God Damn, this Life reward is sweet!

HOOOOOOWEEEEEEEEE! What a team of invincible idiots! They all are MVP's!

SWEEEEEEEEEET!

"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give the appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 12:41 AM

I called my Dad who's 86, who was born on November 7, 1918... just days after the Red Sox won their last World Series. I was so happy for him and it was almost like announcing the birth of his grandchild or something when I called! What a historic and liberating feeling we New Englandahs are enjoying in this win.

Wow.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 12:48 AM

I live three blocks from Kenmore Square in boston... Fenway is there... there are at least 100,000 people there cheering at the top of their lungs.

People are utterly mad - it's not a sport here, it's a religion.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
sure is a lot better than the yankees "buying" another championship.....i love seeing those old "curses" and ghosts fall....boston deserved to win it.
Bullsh*t. Boston had the 2nd highest payroll in the Major Leagues. You just bought into the media hype like everyone else.

Congrats none the less they came back from an 0-3 deficit to win it all. Cardinals laid down though. They didn't even bother to make it fun to watch.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
My wife HATES baseball but she watched EVERY game and is practically crying now. And we aren't even from Boston. Great story...

Congratulations Boston!
Unfortunately it's a non-story. There are no curses only good pitching and a little bit of luck.

teaforone
Oct 28, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
6. They got homefield advantage because Bud Selig is a piece of garbage.
What a weak excuse. The Cardinals played better in Boston than they did at home. But overall they still played like crap. Same old Cardinals.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by SamuraiDL:
I love this ****ing game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What game? The Cardinals handed the trophy to them. Fortunately they didn't drop it.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by Evan_11:
Bullsh*t. Boston had the 2nd highest payroll in the Major Leagues. You just bought into the media hype like everyone else.
You beat me to it.

However the Sox do deserve to win the WS because they were far and away the better team the past 4 games.

And as much as I hate how Selig used the All-Star game as the determining factor for home field advantage, the Cards still only scored 1 run in the last 2 games at home. Hell, we could have played all 7 at Busch, and the way the Birds were playing, they still would've been swept in 4.

However, this series was never about the Cards. If St. Louis wins, headlines would have read "The Curse continues", not "St. Louis Wins" and now that they lost "The Curse is lifted" will (and should be) the headline.

Congrats to the Sox.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by teaforone:
Same old Cardinals.
Not that it means anything now but the Cardinals had the best record in Baseball for the regular season.

teaforone
Oct 28, 2004, 01:10 AM

Not that it means anything now but the Cardinals had the best record in Baseball for the regular season.
You're right - it doesn't mean anything now. No one will remember that. The Red Sox were clearly the better team.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
You beat me to it.

However the Sox do deserve to win the WS because they were far and away the better team the past 4 games.
How much better did they really play? I only remember some good pitching and poor fielding on their part (8 errors in the first 2 games). Regardless they wanted it and the Cardinals didn't.

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:16 AM

You're right - it doesn't mean anything now. No one will remember that. The Red Sox were clearly the better team.
This series wasn't about the Cardinals vs. the Red Sox. It was about the Red Sox vs. Babe Ruth. Great marketing I'll give you that.

Cardinals besides some nice fielding played like the thing was fixed.

teaforone
Oct 28, 2004, 01:19 AM

This series wasn't about the Cardinals vs. the Red Sox. It was about the Red Sox vs. Babe Ruth. Great marketing I'll give you that.

Cardinals besides some nice fielding played like the thing was fixed.
Sounds like an excuse to me.

teaforone
Oct 28, 2004, 01:20 AM

How much better did they really play? I only remember some good pitching and poor fielding on their part (8 errors in the first 2 games). Regardless they wanted it and the Cardinals didn't.
They won 4 games, the Cardinals won 0...seems to me that they played quite a bit better. But maybe that's just me.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 01:24 AM

HELL JUST FROZE OVER AND BOSTON IS GOING TO BURN!!!

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:24 AM

Sounds like an excuse to me.
No excuse. The Cardinals sucked. Houston would of made for a more exciting World Series.

Regardless Boston still can't field a ground ball. They made eight errors in the first two games. The curse of Bill Buckner still lives.

Bottom line: Boston had good pitching and the Cardinal's bats went cold. Anyway you cut it that's how you win the Series.

teaforone
Oct 28, 2004, 01:27 AM

No excuse. The Cardinals sucked. Houston would of made for a more exciting World Series.
I agree with that. I would have loved to have seen Clemens vs. the Red Sox.

But let's not forget perhaps the most important thing about this postseason - the Yankees choked like no team in the history of baseball had ever done before. That's something that should bring us all (except those pesky Yankee fans, who are a nuisance anyway) together and put smiles on our faces.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 01:29 AM

Regardless Boston still can't field a ground ball. They made eight errors in the first two games. The curse of Bill Buckner still lives.

Bottom line: Boston had good pitching and the Cardinal's bats went cold. Anyway you cut it that's how you win the Series.
Don't forget the uselessness of our starting pitching. Marquis pitched like shit today (11 baserunners in 6 innings) and he was the best starting pitcher that we had in the series. None of our pitchers had the guts to go after the Boston hitters.

Boston tried their hardest to hand the first couple of games to the Cards but we said "no, no, please, you guys take it."

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Don't forget the uselessness of our starting pitching. Marquis pitched like shit today (11 baserunners in 6 innings) and he was the best starting pitcher that we had in the series. None of our pitchers had the guts to go after the Boston hitters.

Oh well...
They only gave up 3 runs tonite. Not bad. Rolen going 0-15 is what killed them. When Rolen hits they win. Edmonds whiffed away as well... The needed a killer starter to have won them Game 1. Coulda', shoulda', woulda'

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 01:42 AM

fact, sox pulled through, cards didn't.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 02:03 AM

I'm so happy right now. Being a MA native, this is so great. However, I'm living in Las Vegas right now, and people just don't understand. Since there is no local team out here, people just go for the (supposedly) sure things (e.g. the Lakers and the Yankees). I was watching the first game at work and one of my co-workers said "who do you want to win?" So I said "The Red Sox, of course," to which he replied "that's Boston, right?" AAARRRRGGGHHHH.
Anyway, enough of a rant. GO SOX!!!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

The whole nation was rooting for the Sox. The Cards got to play the role of the Washington Generals. Ugh.

The Cards played great all year and then completely hit a wall. It was really sad and pathetic.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:19 AM

Sox: Good pitching, good hitting, poor fielding game 1 & 2, good baserunning, good coaching
Cards: Poor hitting, atrocious hitting, fair fielding, poor baserunning, poor coaching.

The Sox didn't have outstanding games, just good solid play, which was much better than out lackluster, and at times, terrible plays. They were 4 games better than us.

Now we need to work on starting pitching and resigning Renteria in the off-season.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:23 AM

I go to school in Worcester, MA. The city has a population of about 170,000 and I think there are 11 other colleges here. Most kids that go to school at my college are from MA.

We just went crazy. We were on the both sides of the street celebrating and the cops thought that it would be a good idea to close off the street so no traffic would get onto it. We then crowed into the street and started burning giant branches that kids where ripping down from trees. We had a fire going in the middle of the street. People were crowd surfing, everyone was drunk. Fireworks were going off, girls were flashing all over the place. They even rolled a car down a hill.

Then the riot police came and started to take down kids. The crowd ended up dispersing kinda but the riot police kept coming. It was crazy.

I love being in college.

The night is still young though, so I gotta go. This already took too long to write. and All I have to say is thank god for safari spell check or I wouldn't be able to write a thing write now.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 03:10 AM

surprised as hell by the 4 game sweep but was rooting for them the whole way (since the giants bombed) Go Sox!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:31 PM

Come on Celtics, take the lesson, is about time !

You know, we have no real knowledge about baseball here in Spain.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:34 PM

Jeez. It appears as if we're good at this:

Celtics beat St. Louis for their first championship (1957)
Bruins ended a 30 year drought by beating the Blues (1970)
Patriots won their first championship by beating the Rams (2001)
Sox end an 86 year drought by stomping all over the Cards (2004)

So remember New England, whenever your sports teams are in a funk, just come see us.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:47 PM

Now see if you can make it 2 in a row like the Jays.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by GoGoReggieXPowars:
Now see if you can make it 2 in a row like the Jays.
Heh, I was so depressed after game 3 that I watched the final games of the '92 and '93 series. It didn't make me feel much better

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 04:59 PM

As a Yankees fan, I'm disappointed to see the Red Sox win a World Series. The Red Sox always belonged on a lower class; a lower level; the second best to the best. That's been their position, and that is where they belong. Of course, us Yankees fans expect next year to go back to usual, and the Red Sox to put together a good team, but a beatable team.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

benb
Oct 28, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
As a Yankees fan, I'm disappointed to see the Red Sox win a World Series. The Red Sox always belonged on a lower class; a lower level; the second best to the best. That's been their position, and that is where they belong. Of course, us Yankees fans expect next year to go back to usual, and the Red Sox to put together a good team, but a beatable team.
Ha. Just wait till Steinbrenner goes nuts and the Yankees go back to early-mid ninties caliber with him pulling the strings.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 08:24 PM

It gives hope to all of us Eagles fans out there.....

crooner
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 08:35 PM

I'm a native Bostonian, recently located to Vegas a year ago. I watched a stoned Bernie Carbo pelt a three run homer to tie what looked like a Cincinnati Reds series win, then had my life changed as Carlton Fisk willed a foul ball fair and take a step into baseball immortality as he seemed to jump and run in real-time slow motion. I sat in the fourth row behind first base as Bucky Fing Dent's routine fly ball floated into the Monster�s nets. Years later I sat in stunned disbelief as Mookie's little league grounder with eyes found its way through Buckner's wickets. So, naturally, when the Sox won three straight against the cards, I was seriously concerned.

It's wonderful to see so many non-Bostonian's celebrate this World Series win. But you must be from New England (and know your history) to fully understand how important this victory is. The only team-to-city relationship in sports history that rivals that of the Red Sox and Boston was the one between the Brooklyn Dodgers and their town. (If you disagree with that statement or don't know that the Dodgers used to be in Brooklyn, then you need to do some serious baseball soul searching.)

This win undoes all the past heartaches, heals the countless wounds, redeems the many chokes and missteps and allows something as simple as a baseball game to unite generations of people, especially fathers and sons, in a way utterly unique and American. Even if it does take another 86 years, it's okay. This championship will be remembered far longer than any one of the many Yankee wins. This is baseball and its quirky Gods at their best.

Thank you to the entire Red Sox organization.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 11:49 PM

Those sox! Boy did they do something, huh?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Forum Links
Forum Rules