Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is there any way to enable borderless printing w/ Canon?

Is there any way to enable borderless printing w/ Canon?
malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 03:12 AM

Hey,

I think this is unbelievable � I just bought a Canon Pixma 5000 printer which is quite nice and everything and is also capable of BORDERLESS PRINTING � except in OS X. I remember this was a problem with the i865 but I considered it solved.

Pah. Nothing is solved. And it is senseless, too. In the printing dialog, the button is there, just greyed out? Whysoever didn't they implement this?

Does anybody know a possibility to enable this (CUPS drivers or other solutions)?

Pixma 5000, Canon US Website

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 08:15 AM

I just bought one yesterday, too.

It has to do with the paper size selected in Page Setup . Some of the preset sizes (installed from the CD) have the word 'borderless' in them and that activates the slider for determining the bleed.

However, the perforated Canon paper I'm successfully using for borderless printing requires me to enter a Custom Page Size, which isn't recognized as borderless. (I even tried adding the word 'borderless' in the name, but it didn't help. I'll probably hack the setting files later today to see if there's any attribute that could be modified.)

So, in short: I do get borderless prints just fine with perforated paper, but the slider for determining the amount of overprinting remains inactive. I lose about 3mm on each side, but I'll see if adding margins in the 'iPhoto' section of the Print Dialog would help.

J

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2005, 08:19 AM

Oh, I'd be interested if it is possible with Din A4 since I am in Europe. If you find a solution it's be really nice if you could lead my way thru the fog �

I CAN actually set my paper format settings to A4 borderless but the slider in the print settings remains greyed out.

thx.

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 5, 2005, 03:19 PM

Perhaps the iP5000 driver doesn't let you set the extension. Did you try printing borderless with it anyway?

tooki

P.S. On my i850, borderless printing works completely as expected.

OldCodger73
Jan 5, 2005, 04:28 PM

I have the Pixma iP8500 and the Canon printer driver does allow for 4X6 borderless printing. I print from Photoshop, in page setup I choose the printer, then 4x6 paper size, than 4x6 borderless. The iP8500 has a paper cassette, besides the normal top feed, and this works great for 4x6 Canon paper. There's also a 5x7 size setting, which I haven't tried yet. I'm using OS 10.3.7.

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 04:44 PM

I have the Pixma 4000 and there's a setting for border 4 by 6 and borderless 5 by 7 and for credit card size photos too.

Go to Page setup. Make sure you select the Pixma under "Format for," which is the middle setting. Then click down to the 4 x 6 and you'll get a choice of borderless or non-borderless.

I cannot BELIEVE the 5000 would have fewer settings than the older 4000.

So see if that works. Now, I do use the Canon 4 by 6 photo paper plus glossy paper. It is not perforated. But it works great. And I love the Pixma. The photos are beautiful.

Good luck. Let me know if this works.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 03:09 PM

OMG, this was the key! I am so happy!

Thanx a lot!

bbales
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2005, 05:12 PM

Great! I love being able to help people on these forums, because I, in turn, have learned so much from others. Someone else clued me in to a way to save the settings.

Glad it worked, glad you like your Pixma.

malique  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2005, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
Great! I love being able to help people on these forums, because I, in turn, have learned so much from others. Someone else clued me in to a way to save the settings.

Glad it worked, glad you like your Pixma.
*shake hands*

Forum Links
Forum Rules