Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Why won't my 109 burner fit in my G5 2.5?

Why won't my 109 burner fit in my G5 2.5?
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 03:31 PM

Hi,

I just bought a Pioneer 109 to replace the single-layer Sony burner in my 2.5 G5, but I can't get it to fit properly

Now, when I say I can get it to fit properly, let me explain.

The actual drive fits in the G5 chassis perfectly. HOWEVER...

When I press the Eject button, the drive can't eject because the top edge of the plastic bezel (which has the DVD logo and Compact Disc logo stamped on it) on front of the tray bangs into the front of the G5 case.

Soooo..... I took the drive out, and lo-and-behold you can detach the plastic bezel from the tray. This sort of works.

The drive still won't eject when I press the button because now it gets caught on the metal sliding door of the G5 case - it seems like it's not lowering the door far enough because if I hold the door down with my finger and press the eject button it works fine. In and out, in and out. The top of the tray still looks very close to the top of the door opening though.

It seems like the drive sits to high in the machine using Apple's special little slot-in pegs. but then saying that when I put the 109 alongside the original Sony drive, the Sony tray is physically lower in the burner. Does this make sense?

I've read other people have fitted a 109 in theie G5's. Did you have any problems like this?

I hope someone can offer some advice.

Many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 06:19 PM

yea, mine doesn't work well behind the door on my G4. So I removed the door : )

G5 ain't got a removeable front door, eh? : )

I'm sure it's been done. check it out over at xlr8yourmac.com drive database. search for DVR-109 and G5 PowerMac in the 'Drive Database'
ice

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 06:23 PM

I just did the very same update to my dual 2.0Ghz G5 last week.

You do have to remove the plastic face from the front of the sliding drive door. There are instructions on installation of these units on this page.

t500
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 07:37 PM

The standoffs (Screws) that lock the Sony drives in on the G5 are to high for the Pioneer drives. You need to get lower standoffs or you will not clear the door...

The flace plate on the drive itself still needs to come off...

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by t500
The standoffs (Screws) that lock the Sony drives in on the G5 are to high for the Pioneer drives. You need to get lower standoffs or you will not clear the door...

The flace plate on the drive itself still needs to come off...
Good point. I was replacing one Pioneer with another. This is all documented in this PDF from Apple's Support Site. The original poster should download this...

t500
Forum Regular
May 10, 2005, 11:57 PM

This will still help Matthew with his problem. He said he was using replacing a Sony.

Something else that I noticed. My Pioneer is alot louder than the stock drive. Eggman have you noticed this in your new setup?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2005, 12:35 AM

my Pioneer DVR-109 is 10x QUIETER than my Lite-On 48x CDRW drive.

2 cents, shared.
ice

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2005, 01:52 AM

This will still help Matthew with his problem. He said he was using replacing a Sony.
The document I linked to - Apple's Optical Drive Replacement Instructions for the G5 tower - does indicate the differences in mounting screws between Pioneer and Sony, which is why I added the link after your prior remark.

Something else that I noticed. My Pioneer is alot louder than the stock drive. Eggman have you noticed this in your new setup?
Actually they both sound pretty loud to me!

It's easy for me to do an A/B comparison of their noise levels because I kept my old 106D and put it in the Firewire enclosure that my old Sony Spress CD-RW used to be in... so both are attached to my system, one externally and the other internally. They're both about equidistant from my ears, on either side... and they both whirr up a storm when spinning!

t500
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 01:30 PM

Thats good to know. When my drive spins up, it sounds like its going to take off.. My old Sony was no where near as loud. Do you think it would cause any problems if I tried to insulate the drive?

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2005, 01:41 PM

Thats good to know. When my drive spins up, it sounds like its going to take off.. My old Sony was no where near as loud. Do you think it would cause any problems if I tried to insulate the drive?
Insulating for sound == Insulating for heat. I'd avoid that.

caleach
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2005, 07:22 PM

i just replaced the stock Superdirve, a Pioneer 106-PB, on my 1.8 G5, with a Pioneer DVR A09 and the mounts seem to fit perfectly. I had to remove the faceplate in order to allow the door to open. Not it's off to see if it will actually work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules