Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > partitioning

partitioning
lythari
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2001, 09:20 PM

There are a few programs available on the PC that allow you to repartition a hard drive without having to wipe all your data (eg. partition magic). Does anyone know if there are any equivalent programs for the mac? Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2001, 01:20 AM

Hard Disk Toolkit v4 will allow a live repartition, but only if you have already formatted that drive with the HDT driver.

There is no real PartitionMagic utility for the Mac today. Not from anyone. I had emailed the PartitionMagic folks about it a month ago, the reply was that they have talked about doing a Mac version but have nothing to announce.

What you can do is to email them about wanting a Mac version of PartitionMagic. The email address I used was: [email protected]

This is actually the tech support address for PartitionMagic, but seems like the best place to start. You do have a technical problem - PartitionMagic refuses to run on your Mac.

Remember, they don't have to give us a Mac version. A nice email will do much better than "You idiots, I wanted this ****** utility months ago, I'll never buy your products again. Even though I never bought them before. You guys probably strangle babies in the spare time that you could be using to write a Mac version."

Instead, you might offer to be a beta tester for any forthcoming Mac version. And you could offer to buy a Mac version for a higher price than the average PC retail price. You could also offer large quantities of money to them personally. It wouldn't be a bribe since you are not asking them to do anything illegal.

VRL
Senior User
Jun 28, 2001, 04:40 AM

reader50 - excellent post. I have sent e-mail messages to a number of PC developers (using kind words), and the response is usually quite favorable. Granted, software like Gear is still PC-only, but at least the developers know that we know they are there ... and if they hear from several "kind" Mac users, maybe things will change
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Woggle
Jun 28, 2001, 07:44 AM

And going in the opposite direction, I no longer want my drive partioned, can I unpartion a live drive?
Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Cipher13
Jun 28, 2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Woggle:
<STRONG>And going in the opposite direction, I no longer want my drive partioned, can I unpartion a live drive? </STRONG>
Again, only with HDTK4... and it must have the HDTK4 drivers...

Woggle
Jun 28, 2001, 06:55 PM

Drat, foiled again.

Woggle
'I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.'-- No. 6

Forum Links
Forum Rules