Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 12)
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 5, 2006, 06:03 PM

One good thing about the Wii: it'll save me from having to write "to start, press the START button" over and over in every manual I translate.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2006, 06:04 PM

i was just about to ask for a HD version
we don't have time to stop for gas

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 05:05 AM

Reversal: Nintendo Wii Component Cables Available At Retail | Nintendo Wii News: With A Side Order Of Everything Else Nintendo

This is a Canadian site, judging from the TLD. I'm wondering if this applies to all of North America. Would be great if it did.

Edit: Just read an interview with Perrin Kaplan, from Nintendo of America, on Game Informer and it's been confirmed:

Originally Posted by Perrin Kaplan

GI: Will component cables be available on day one?

Kaplan: Yes, at retail and online. Best Buy, GameStop, Circuit City, etc… and Nintendo.com.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Nov 6, 2006 at 05:45 AM. )

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 01:45 PM

"At every venue within which the Wii has been displayed, a varying amount of controller lag has been evident. This has been particularly noticeable with regards to actions that require a game's motion sensing Wii remote. Zelda still exhibits this trait, and while it is noticeable and somewhat annoying, it simply remains unclear if this will be a problem in the living room.

The reason I say this is that the Wii stations we played on featured the Wii sensor bar affixed to the bottom of an HD television, and in front of a light that was likewise part of the TV's undercarriage. In addition, the Wii itself was situated right below the bar, and was encased in a kind of clear plastic, highly reflective shell.

So was this light and resulting reflection to blame for the lag that was noticed? Or is this, as they say, just the nature of the beast when it comes to the Wii. I asked Nintendo a couple representatives on this, but could not get a definite answer other than a rather ambiguous “Yes, probably” when referring to the light/reflection interference.

This lag was immediately evident after you collected 30 rupees and bought the slingshot, and began testing your aim. You assign items, such as the slingshot, to the B button, and there were times when pressing the button would simply bring up a message saying that you needed to point the Wii remote at the screen, even if you were already doing just that.

Sometimes after a second or two it would register, sometimes it would pick it up only after the remote was moved, and other times it would not read it at all, forcing the B button to be released and depressed again. Annoying, for sure, and truly hope that this was an factor of the environment rather than an issue with the hardware. Color me cautiously optimistic in this regard."

Gamasutra - Impressions: Does Zelda For Wii Shape Up?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
One good thing about the Wii: it'll save me from having to write "to start, press the START button" over and over in every manual I translate.
PRESS 'A'! PRESS 'A'! What are you pressing 'SELECT' for? You don't have time to make a profile! Shoot em in the head! SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD!!"
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
"gamasutra impressions"
Interesting, I have read MANY reviews, in fact almost all of these:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/04/me...-princess-wii/

No one has mentioned this problem until now, I don't think it will be a big issue.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Interesting, I have read MANY reviews, in fact almost all of these:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/04/me...-princess-wii/

No one has mentioned this problem until now, I don't think it will be a big issue.
Ya I read pretty much all of them. I hope it is not the case.

Anywho, the graphics are the same as the GC version so in other words the WIi isn't using the hardware to the full capabilities. Not surprising as it was a GC title for 2/3's of the developement.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2006, 05:22 PM

Ya I read pretty much all of them. I hope it is not the case.

Anywho, the graphics are the same as the GC version so in other words the WIi isn't using the hardware to the full capabilities. Not surprising as it was a GC title for 2/3's of the developement.

My cousin swears my Logitech MX 1000 has "a ton of lag" I don't see it at all. Perhaps it is the same kinda thing, where to one person its laggy and to another its fine, I dunno.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2006, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
My cousin swears my Logitech MX 1000 has "a ton of lag" I don't see it at all. Perhaps it is the same kinda thing, where to one person its laggy and to another its fine, I dunno.
I dunno, many people sit infront of 60hz CRT monitors and never see a problem either.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:05 AM

So, what games are you guys planning on getting within the "launch window"?

Zelda is an obvious one, but I'm actually not all that big on Zelda, so I don't think it'll be one of the first titles I pick up (to the horror of most here, I'm sure). From what I've seen thus far, I'm thinking of:

* Marvel Ultimate Alliance
* Red Steel
* Elebits
* Metal Slug Anthology

-and a good non-truck racing game, which would be either:

* GT Pro Series or
* Need for Speed Carbon

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2006, 03:21 AM

Zelda, Raving Rabbids (Those rabits crack me up), maybe Red Steel. Waiting on Smash and SMG.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 03:33 AM

Zelda, Red Steel, Excite Truck

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 04:39 AM

I won't be getting a Wii at launch, but by the time I do get one, I hope at least this game will be available: F Zero. My all time favorite racing game.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
-and a good non-truck racing game, which would be either:

* GT Pro Series or
* Need for Speed Carbon
i'm torn between these two racing games as well. Some people say the wheel-add on for GT Pro Series is worth the buy...so i have no clue.
blah

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Zelda, Raving Rabbids (Those rabits crack me up), maybe Red Steel. Waiting on Smash and SMG.
Defeinitely looking forward to Mario Galaxy. Not too sure about RR-- Never played that. I guess I'd have to see it first. Same goes for Smash as far as the Wii version is concerned.

Originally Posted by himself View Post
I won't be getting a Wii at launch, but by the time I do get one, I hope at least this game will be available: F Zero. My all time favorite racing game.
I loved the SNES version as well. I haven't played the later versions much, though. Maybe I'll go for the Wii version when it comes out as well.

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
i'm torn between these two racing games as well. Some people say the wheel-add on for GT Pro Series is worth the buy...so i have no clue.
Don't know. The plastic wheel add-on is nice, but also sounds a tad gimmicky to me.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 11:03 AM

Don't know. The plastic wheel add-on is nice, but also sounds a tad gimmicky to me.
thats what people thought, but all the reviews on it say it is a necessity and it really adds to the experience

IGN Wii has something on the wheel. I'm at work, so I can't check, but look it up if you wanna know more.
blah

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 7, 2006, 11:18 AM

Since I already have an Xbox 360 that I am quite fond of, I wouldn't normally consider buying a Wii version of a game that also exists on the Xbox 360. The difference in graphics isn't going to make up for some tacked-on Wiimote functionality in that case. So I'm going to be getting mostly first-party Nintendo titles and other Wii-exclusive games. Right now, I have Zelda and Red Steel preordered. Zelda is a no-brainer as it's one of my favorite series of all time. Red Steel looks okay, not fantastic, but I wanted to try a shooter using the Wiimote. I might get Rayman Raving Rabbids or Trauma Center, but I'll probably wait until I see some reviews.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:32 PM

This is what is going to happen. 90% of Zelda fans will buy the Wii just for that game, me included. That pretty much means Zelda cost me $400 which is almost worth it.

Considering people bought brand new gaming PC's or video cards for $500-$2000 just for Doom 3 this isn't so unusual.

When Metroid and Supermario come down the road the system will become more worthwhile for the money you spent.

When I first got my Cube I always said it was worth it just for Zelda and Metroid alone. Other pretty good titles were Pickmin, RE4 and Rouge Leader.

Personally I haven't bought a cube game since RE4 and it wasn't easy waiting that long between new games so I am very happy I had a PS2 and Xbox to fill the void. And yes those are the reasons I got a PS2 and Xbox as up till then I was Nintendo 100%. I was just sick of waiting for 1 or 2 must have games a year.

Turns out both the PS2 and Xbox were much better than I thought and has games that I actually liked better than anything on my Cube (other than Zelda).

When I get a Wii it will be for Zelda and that is it. The other titles are to gimmicky or don't have lasting apeal. Excite truck is cute but it will wear thin fast, IGN is still mentioning that Red Steals controls are a concern with the latest build. All those party games aren't going to last that long unless I get everyone a controller to play with me.

If Zelda on the Cube was widescreen I probably would skip the Wii for a year until there are more must have games. Guess that marketing trick as obvious as it is will pay off for Nintendo.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 01:45 PM

Not me. I'm sticking with the GC Zelda. There aren't enough badass games for the Wii to make me switch yet.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 01:55 PM

redsteel and zelda are enough to make me switch
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 02:22 PM

madden
red steel
zelda
and a racing game (gt pro or need for speed)

are my launch pickups (or at least by the end of the year)
blah

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 02:32 PM

When I get a Wii it will be for Zelda and that is it. The other titles are to gimmicky or don't have lasting apeal. Excite truck is cute but it will wear thin fast, IGN is still mentioning that Red Steals controls are a concern with the latest build. All those party games aren't going to last that long unless I get everyone a controller to play with me.
Funny, I'm not even considering Zelda at this point, and it doesn't enter into my decision to get a Wii.

As for games being gimmicky or not having lasting appeal-- we'll see. I'm really hoping that's not the case, and Nintendo's betting the farm on it. If it is then the Wii will be a failure in the long-run, and I hope that's not the case as I'd like to see the Wii and Nintendo pull out in front of M$ and Sony.

Party games-- well, I only have a Dreamcast, but even though I have four controllers with VMUs and rumble paks, we usually only play with two, even when I have a few more friends over. This is probably because most games don't really have good support for over two players, but nevertheless it's always fun to watch and switch turns. I'm don't think I'm going out on a limb too much when I think that watching someone play a Wii will be even more entertaining.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2006, 02:53 PM

Zelda, FPS( undecided between Red Steel, Call of Duty 3, and Far Cry), and a party game (monkey ball or raving rabbits).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 03:29 PM

When I get a Wii it will be for Zelda and that is it. The other titles are to gimmicky or don't have lasting apeal.
We'll see about that. They said that the DS games would be gimmicky and not have lasting appeal, yet that's not how it turned out. This shows at least a possibility that we're not just dealing with a gimmick system here.
Excite truck is cute but it will wear thin fast...
Why?
If Zelda on the Cube was widescreen I probably would skip the Wii for a year until there are more must have games. Guess that marketing trick as obvious as it is will pay off for Nintendo.
Is widescreen really so important to you that you'll buy an entire console just to play one game in widescreen as opposed to 4:3? Now I'm confused: widescreen is nifty, but is it really worth $250?

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Not me. I'm sticking with the GC Zelda. There aren't enough badass games for the Wii to make me switch yet.
Same here.

And with Bully on the PS2.. I'm not really looking forward to buying a 360 or a PS3 any time soon. After a must-have games debuts, I'll consider it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
Same here.

And with Bully on the PS2.. I'm not really looking forward to buying a 360 or a PS3 any time soon. After a must-have games debuts, I'll consider it.
Between FF XII, FF III, Gears of War, a few games I haven't even opened on the 360 yet, and Zelda for the GC, I'll be quite occupied for a while....not to mention playing WoW.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 04:39 PM

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
We'll see about that. They said that the DS games would be gimmicky and not have lasting appeal, yet that's not how it turned out. This shows at least a possibility that we're not just dealing with a gimmick system here.
The DS is different. It is portable so people expect a quick play game with so so graphics.

The Wii has a learning curve so it isn't something you just throw at a guest. People also expect more from non-portable systems in every electronic device.

Zelda is 70 hours play, that is not a casual gamer.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2006, 05:43 PM

The Wii has a learning curve so it isn't something you just throw at a guest.

The Wii is EXACTLY the system you throw at a guest. A non-gamer can pick it up in a flash and have fun with it, while the other 2 you would never do that with. At least not to a non-gamer. With the Wii non-gamers and guests are intrigued, with the others... not so much (at all).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 10:33 PM

The DS is different. It is portable so people expect a quick play game with so so graphics.
That's not what you said when the DS and PSP first came out.
The Wii has a learning curve so it isn't something you just throw at a guest.
A properly-done Wii game should have less of a learning curve than games with a traditional controller.
Zelda is 70 hours play, that is not a casual gamer.
True, but that's Zelda for you. Besides, since when has any game company ever failed to drastically overstate the play time for any game they made?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2006, 10:38 PM

I remember when they said it would take a day to cross the overworld in OOT. It didn't even take a full in-game day, and those were like half an hour.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2006, 06:47 AM

IGN's Wii Launch Guide promised content regarding "Wii Online" for 11/7, but I checked it at least twice today to find nothing. Now it suddenly says 11/8 on the little tab. Hehe

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 12:39 PM

That's not what you said when the DS and PSP first came out.
True, but that's Zelda for you. Besides, since when has any game company ever failed to drastically overstate the play time for any game they made?
So far reviewers have all said the 70-100 hours seems true as after 10 hours they hardly touched the second dungeon.

I'm not complaining but which side are you on? The Wii is for casual gamers with simple games and graphics or it is a system to play epic games?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 12:44 PM

A game can be for casual gamers and yet still take a really long time to finish. The two actually aren't related. My mom never beat Super Mario Bros., but she could enjoy playing it for what little time she did play. A game is good for casual play if it rewards short play sessions.
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 8, 2006, 01:05 PM

The Wii is for casual gamers with simple games and graphics or it is a system to play epic games?
Why does it have to be one or the other? Just because the Wii is good for casual gamers doesn't mean it's ONLY good for casual gamers. I suppose if they didn't have Zelda, you'd be saying that all the games were too short and shallow. There really is no pleasing you.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2006, 01:06 PM

I'm not complaining but which side are you on? The Wii is for casual gamers with simple games and graphics or it is a system to play epic games?
what are you talking about? why cant you have both and just have differnet types of games?

you have games like Mario Party, and then games Zelda

heck, even zelda can be casual and serious depending on what you want.

people can just pick up zelda at a friends house who is far along in the game and just start swinging the sword and killing things and run simple little side stories (just like OoT and MM)...but if they are too casual they wont touch the real storyline, which is fine b/c they probably wont care
blah

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Why does it have to be one or the other? Just because the Wii is good for casual gamers doesn't mean it's ONLY good for casual gamers. I suppose if they didn't have Zelda, you'd be saying that all the games were too short and shallow. There really is no pleasing you.
Yes, there's no way to 'Wii'n him over.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2006, 11:44 PM

Why must it be one or the other?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 04:44 AM

Why must it be one or the other?
Cause if the answer is "wii sucks", you have to tailor the argument accordingly.

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 04:47 AM

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2006, 09:56 AM

apparently, playing is believing

wii kiosks are now up in various electronics stores and the people on the IGN boards are giving their experiences and saying even games like Excite Truck had them hooked....

and if you go to Nintendo World in NYC, they have even more games to play
blah

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2006, 10:49 AM

No Elebits at launch. Oh well...
Yeah, I was disappointed by that too. I was looking forward to playing with the Elebits on my Wii.

I swear; the only more Freudian thing they could do with this system would be to start marketing it in pink.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2006, 11:19 AM

Target has an interesting display of Wii-related items in their video game department. No actual consoles or first-party accessories like controllers yet, but they do have some "Wii dogtags" (basically just decorative pieces of metal), a metal Wii box with magnets, and Wiimote gloves (I can't imagine how it would feel to slip one of these silicone condoms on my "Wii"). They also have promotional DVDs (they cost $0.01) and gift cards that light up with blue LEDs. Most of this seems like overpriced crap, but it's interesting nonetheless. I got some DVDs, but my store has been out of the giftcards for a while.

(Not my photos)

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2006, 11:48 AM

Yeah saw those last weekend, was excited to see Wii stuff so prominently displayed locally. EB Said they will have a demo system "soon"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 12:01 PM

I swear; the only more Freudian thing they could do with this system would be to start marketing it in pink.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 06:33 PM

us.Wii.com - Experience Videos

Watch that video. In the last half doesn't it look like the onscreen target lags quite a bit from his hand movements?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2006, 06:39 PM

The newest 1up show has some neat Zelda info in it.

The 1UP Show Site on 1UP.com

-Owl

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 07:09 PM

Give it time, and there will be a pink Wii . There's a pink everything else these days, PS2, PSP DS, DS Lite, phones, whatever...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2006, 07:13 PM

So what you're saying is there's money to be made in selling a larger version of the Wiimote?
Chuck
___

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 07:26 PM

Yes, various wiimote sizes will be the new e-penis.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules