Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Defeating Multiple Users

Defeating Multiple Users
Orpheus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2000, 07:45 PM

I need to get around Multiple Users on two machines at work, where people have set up iMacs and forgotten to use the "official" password. No one seems to know what the new password is, and this is pretty much locking everyone out from making any changes to the machines, including restoring the machines from scratch.

I have tried booting from a CD, but the machines just ignore my command. I also seem to recall that starting with extensions off doesn't work. So the question becomes - how does one bypass the Multiple Users feature in such a case?

Thanks for any help...

Orpheus

Cipher13
Sep 23, 2000, 08:45 PM

E-mail me. Its not suitable for posting to the masses...

Cipher13

mattmarshall
Senior User
Sep 24, 2000, 02:50 AM

come on--don't supress info, just because multiple users is faulty.

you should b e able to boot form the cd, and delete the multiple user prefs....

Orpheus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2000, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by mattmarshall:
come on--don't supress info, just because multiple users is faulty.

you should b e able to boot form the cd, and delete the multiple user prefs....

I wish it were so easy; booting from the CD simply results in the machine booting from the hard drive as if I weren't holding down the "C" key at all. Am I doing something wrong on this front, perhaps?

I can empathize with Cypher's desire not to post such topics in public; the motivation is noble. I also thank Matt for coming right out and offering his perspective!

-O

mattmarshall
Senior User
Sep 24, 2000, 11:43 AM

sorry, i dont know why it's not working. an Apple TIL was accidentally posted on this, as reported by macnn:

"September 2, 2000: A reader notes that Apple's "restricted" AppleCare TIL describes how to bypass the Multiple User login panel when the owner's password is unavailable or lost. (The article seems to be have been accidently made public.)"

the link is to http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60550, but has since taken it down. i went there and read it when it was posted, and it basically gave the advice that i gave. christ, i knew i shouild have saved it. but i tihnk it just said boot from the cd and delete the prefs.
was anyone smart enough to save it?

if so, please post it somewhere. come on, moderators--i know one of you archived it.

oh, and i don't know why you can't boot form the cd....

i was more concerned with the statement that such information was "not suitable for posting to the masses..."

i think that's the first time i've ever heard that statement on the internet, and i hope it is the last. For someone to think that we 'masses' don't deserve some of the information that he/she has is just ridiculous, and compeltely arrogant.

apparently, he/she is able to handle the information, which would only turn us "masses" into crazed theivish mobs who would run around booting Macs from OS cd's and stealing peoples files or ruining their systems.

what a load of **** . cipher, if you have the said TIL, post it. the only way for something to be improved upon is if everyone knows there's problems with it. otherwise, you end up with millions of people thinking that their files are protected by "multiple users", when in fact anyone with an OS cd can get them.

improvement only comes when we ignorant, untrust-worthy "masses" know about the problem....

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2000, 12:49 PM

look, there is a reason why Apple took that URL down... can you say user S E C U R I T Y ?

lighten up

Cipher13
Sep 24, 2000, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by mattmarshall:
sorry, i dont know why it's not working. an Apple TIL was accidentally posted on this, as reported by macnn:

"September 2, 2000: A reader notes that Apple's "restricted" AppleCare TIL describes how to bypass the Multiple User login panel when the owner's password is unavailable or lost. (The article seems to be have been accidently made public.)"

the link is to http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60550, but has since taken it down. i went there and read it when it was posted, and it basically gave the advice that i gave. christ, i knew i shouild have saved it. but i tihnk it just said boot from the cd and delete the prefs.
was anyone smart enough to save it?

if so, please post it somewhere. come on, moderators--i know one of you archived it.

oh, and i don't know why you can't boot form the cd....

i was more concerned with the statement that such information was "not suitable for posting to the masses..."

i think that's the first time i've ever heard that statement on the internet, and i hope it is the last. For someone to think that we 'masses' don't deserve some of the information that he/she has is just ridiculous, and compeltely arrogant.

apparently, he/she is able to handle the information, which would only turn us "masses" into crazed theivish mobs who would run around booting Macs from OS cd's and stealing peoples files or ruining their systems.

what a load of **** . cipher, if you have the said TIL, post it. the only way for something to be improved upon is if everyone knows there's problems with it. otherwise, you end up with millions of people thinking that their files are protected by "multiple users", when in fact anyone with an OS cd can get them.

improvement only comes when we ignorant, untrust-worthy "masses" know about the problem....
I do NOT have the said TIL, I merely know from experience in a lab of iMacs (which I don't break, but secure).
Well, Mr. Marshall, I suppose I'm arrogent then.
Fine. Do I care? Throw all the insult you want at me, I'll just sit here laughing at you.
I agree that a security hole is better known by all than kept hidden, but if you cannot see how illogical it is posting that information here, then I have nothing more to say to you.
The problem is not going to be rectified by Apple, and so remains more than a little security bug.
<snip>
You mentioned before that I believe I can handle the knowledge and don't believe you can...
Whats your point?
I know I will use it responsibly. I have no idea about you or most other people on this board. For all I know, you are Bill Gates trying to break into your daughters iMac or something.
Give it a rest please... imagine every Apple bulletin board and fan site explaining how ot break the encryption they use....
Yeah, not good.

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 09-24-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules