Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how do I back up data outside case?

how do I back up data outside case?
hart
Senior User
Feb 15, 2011, 11:17 AM

I can't seem to get a search title that doesn't just give me normal backup so sorry if this is an easily searched topic.

Anyway, I want to back up a macbook hard drive outside the case. The machine is damaged and won't turn on and of course it wasn't backed up before the damage. So I want to do the data backup myself since Apple doesn't do that. Seems like this should be an easy process that I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do. (The computer is out of warranty.)

I already figured out how to get the drive out and looked at it's connectors so now I need to know what kind of cable do I use, what do I attach it to, etc.

Thanks.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2011, 12:29 PM

all MacBooks use SATA connectors, so any 2.5" SATA enclosure will do fine. you can get a standard usb enclosure, but having FW800 is nice to have also.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2011, 12:50 PM

Seconded. Firewire is fast and bootable, but USB is cheap and easy to find.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

hart  (op)
Senior User
Feb 15, 2011, 02:10 PM

Hopefully this is a one-time temporary measure (famous last words ) so cheap is good, i.e. USB.

Thanks. Seems simple enough.

ibook_steve
Feb 15, 2011, 03:16 PM

Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

hart  (op)
Senior User
Feb 15, 2011, 07:46 PM

well, that's a fun item with usability beyond this one problem. Thanks for the info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules