Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AC adapter power requirements

AC adapter power requirements
Gametes
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 08:43 PM

I can't find the technical information for the 12" PB's adapter. What are the minimum electrical specifications for an outlet to plug it into? I don't mean for a home, which is 120V, right? But for a cigarette lighter -> wall socket type adapter. What kind of electricity has to be coming out that end for the PB's adapter to work?

Thanks
you are not your signature

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2003, 09:46 PM

look no further than the power adapter itself. on the bottom edge (relative to the etched apple logo) are the electrical specs, which state the following (for people who don't feel like reaching down and picking up their Power Adapter ):

Input: AC 100-240V
50-60Hz
92-118VA
Output:24.5V
1.875A
Delta Electronics (Thailand) Public Co. Ltd.
AC Input: 1.2A
ADP-45ZH V85
Appareten skall anslutas till jordat uttag
and, besides some UL and other miscellaneous icons above that, and the 45-watt rating on another side, that's pretty much it.

edit: so, to answer your question, any cigarette lighter-to-AC outlet adapter will work, as long as the outlet is at least 100V/45W

edit 2: i don't know how much such adapters cost, but for ~$70 or so you can get an iGo Juice Adapter, which has (i believe) a cigarette lighter adapter, as well as many others.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
edit 2: i don't know how much such adapters cost, but for ~$70 or so you can get an iGo Juice Adapter, which has (i believe) a cigarette lighter adapter, as well as many others.
Fry's advertised a 150W power inverter in Friday's sales flyer for $15, so they can be had for much less than $70.

vasu
Senior User
Jul 28, 2003, 10:45 AM

For a roadtrip I'm going on, I just picked up an APC power inverter with 140 watts for $40 at compusa. I can power my Powerbook, cellphone, and other stuff..if I had other stuff to power...

I wouldn't get a $15 one, the APC one is nice because it has overload protection and will make a noise if your car battery gets too low in voltage (meaning you are draining too much from it).

Some apple power adapters are 60W I think, I'd get any power inverter with that much or more. 75W+ is very easy to find.. you can get these things for pretty cheap at compusa, circuit city, bestbuy..even walmart and target have them.

CircuitCity actually carries a nice one from Rayovac that has 2 outlets on it. I got the APC one becuase it was very small and had a pretty long cord, so I can keep all the cable clutter in the back.

-vasu

Forum Links
Forum Rules