Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinking about getting a MacBook Pro..

Thinking about getting a MacBook Pro..
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2008, 06:27 AM

Hi

For the past few months, I've grown dull of PC desktop life. I find myself in more and more places where a laptop would be much more suitable for me. And I'm thinking about the MacBook Pro. Why? I still enjoy a bit of light gaming (just the occasional Orange Box etc) and I know that the MBPs have an 8600m GT (256MB version I'd be getting). I love the sleek looks of the Pro, and love OSX so the switch to a Mac seems preferable (with the occasional Boot Camp!)

Has anyone else made this switch and can anyone tell me how the performance of the 8600 is? (I'm not expecting much). I may wait around 2 months as I heard new MBPs were due to be released?

Thanks in advance

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 06:28 AM

I have the second iteration and it does gaming just fine, even if it gets warm while hooked up (I use external keyboard and my Trackman). Just max ram and they're pretty dependable.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
I have the second iteration and it does gaming just fine, even if it gets warm while hooked up (I use external keyboard and my Trackman). Just max ram and they're pretty dependable.
Thanks for the reply - I think I'd retain a monitor from my current setup, as well as a keyboard and mouse and just have the MBP as a base unit for when I am actually doing some gaming. (which isn't that much)

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
I may wait around 2 months as I heard new MBPs were due to be released?
I'm with you... I think with Intel just announcing its new mobile chipset we will see new models in the next couple of months. While I want a new MBPro now, I can't see not waiting it out.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

IllegalOperation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 09:34 PM

The 8600 isn't bad at all. I can tell a good difference between this and the last MBP I had with the ATI card.

Once you pick up a Macbook Pro you will never return to anything else!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 11:00 PM

The 8600 isn't horrible, but it certainly isn't great either. For an occasional gamer it should be adequate. Right now is an okay time to buy. If you don't need a MacBook Pro right now, you can wait, but you probably won't be disappointed with the next update. The new quad-core Intel chips aren't likely to make it into the next rev of the MBP.

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2008, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the replies, I think I will make the switch

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 20, 2008, 11:26 PM

Like these guys said, you won't be disappointed with the switch. And for the record, Orange Box rocks =]

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2008, 11:10 AM

i have a 2.13 mbp with 128 meg ATI video 1600(?).. it plays CS and TF2 at reasonable resolutions and good framerate and the newer ones have much faster video than mine does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules